Gil-Galad's true name and Parentage.

Discussion in 'Books' started by finrod, Nov 30, 2003.

1. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As we all know the Silmarillion stated ''Ereinion'' Gil-Galad to be the son of Fingon.
    This was Christopher Tokien's input to the story while the true Master's (J.R.R.) wishes about his
    name and parentage where slightly different.
    J.R.R. Tolkien settled Gil-Galad to be the son of Orodreth (who was in his turn Angrod's son) rather than Fingon and his first name was not Ereinion but Finnelach or Rodnor (not sure which one, but I think it was the first).
    The concept of GG as the son of Fingon was quickly abandoned by J.R.R. Tolkien himself
    but because Christopher didn't have that info when he completed the Silm. he chose GG to be Fingon's boy anyway.
    Now this may be completely uninteresting for some of you, but I know there are some Gil-Galad fans among you who might appreciate this information. (if they didn't know already)

2. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ya actually I just read that last night in the silm it is really weird it just goes to show you that JRR did'nt have all the answers for even his own as he put it "stuff"

3. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    thanks finrod from all us gil-galad fans out there:D btw do any of you dislike how christopher tolkien changed the books? i know i do.

4. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Well perhaps at some points. But without CT we wouldn't have nearly the ammount of material and information we now do.

5. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I kinda agree with Byzantine warrior here! Christopher Tolkien knew he didn't have all the information his father wrote and he actually knew that. In fact, Christopher even admitted later on that much of the differences between the ''our'' Silm and J.R.R.'s are largely due to the fact that christopher didn't bother to study much of his father's manuscripts, evn those he had access to. Instead he preferred his own input to the story. And although Christopher says he regrets it now, I still think it's a shame because it is J.R.R.'s middle-earth I am interested in, not Christopher's.

6. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well for a man who speaks elvish( CT) you ought to give him a little due, and after all if he hadn't told people that he changed it then we would'nt known the difference.

He's a lot better that the stupid fan fiction thats out there, not to mention the slash.

7. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hehe, that's true. you know I was once reading a nice story about elladan and elrohir. You really don't want to know which turn the story made when there was a party in rivendell near the end.

So far the nice story....

8. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Please dont tell me:D i personaly like BOLT better then the SIl because in my opinion thats how it was meant to be:D

9. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I am sure Tolkien would have put bolt and the silm nicely together if he only had been given the time to do so.

10. ElvishTwin

ElvishTwin Left-handed Scribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Except that he died before he could. What a pain mortality is...

11. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The reason he chose to do this was because Tolkien never wrote a complete text where Gil-galad was the son of Orodreth. The text in which this occurs (somewhere in Morgoth's Ring I think) is only a note to a text and not incorporated in the story (me thinks).

Rodnor was just a shorter form of Orodreth (IIRC).

This is also some of the reason why he didn't include all the material he had: much of it contradicts earlier or later stories, which he may not have other versions of. For eksample, in one of his last writings Tolkien said that Amrod (I think, may have been Amras) actually died in one of the burning ships on Alqualondë. But none of the other stories of the Noldor in Beleriand mention this, and he couldn't just omit Amrod from his father's writings...