Ghosts

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Whats with the Ghosts we see in COT, any theories at all ? Mat seems some on the road, and Perrin sees them in that country town, the smelly one, I can't remember the name sorry. So whats the verdit, strange things are happening, it seems Tarmon Gai'don may just be around the corner.

2. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    There are various theories ranging from the plausible to the deranged.

One interesting fact is that all the sightings seem to be at crossroads of some kind, meetings of paths at least, and at either dawn or dusk. I'll get back to you on this when I've had a look through it again.

The main theory seems to be that it's the DO's work, after being thwarted over the weather he's turned his hand to decay (the grain weevils, the meat rotting in the casks) and disruption of the spirits. One quote I recall from a Prophesy: "and bodies fail". Many people seem to think that this refers to a plague but I lean towards the ghosts. There are several connections between ghosts and crossroads in mythology.

3. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Wow, i didn't even realize it all happened at a crossroads, though this would fit nicely with the title "Crossroads Of Twilight." I'd always thought it had something to do with the pack of Darkhounds, who are said to be especially dangerous when "met at a crossroads."

Does this mean these ghosts are going to play a more important role ? They must be pretty important if they get a title of a book, right ?

4. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Well, there are several ideas floating around as I said. All the ghosts were seen either in a corridor (the ones we see are all at junctions), on a road (nearly all at junctions I think it's only when Mat takes Tuon shopping that there's no crossroads mentioned) or at a crossroads. It's interesting that So Habor is itself a crossroads, roads meeting at the crossing point of the river.

Again, they are all seen at dawn or dusk, with the possible exception of the one seen walking through the wall in So Habor by Gaillene. I'm not sure what time it was then.

They all seem to be nasty people, possible darkfriends, and people who have died by violence. Not ironclad as we don't know a lot about most of them.

There are several folk tales and myths about crossroads and ghosts. Murder victims are said to haunt crossroads, if they die along a road, until they can lead someone to their corpse. The most brutal punishments usually ended with the corpse being dismembered and buried at different crossroads, with the belief that the noise of the traffic would deny them rest, or that they could not rest until their bodyparts were buried together and the crossroads taunted their spirit with many paths back to the missing limbs. Hanging at a crossroads was another punishment, considered worse than just hanging.

Twilight is fairly self-explanatory, it's the time when two states connect, day and night, and the time when parallel worlds are closest. The light is dim and steely grey, ordinary people appear ghostly in it so it has given rise to many beliefs.

As for their impact on the story, one of the DO's names is Lord of the Grave (Moridin in the Old Tongue...). It may just be another ploy like the weather or it could be him raising an army for TG. I think that could be the reason for the Horn, the Heroes would be the only ones who could conceivably defeat them, likewise the ghosts are the only ones who would give the Heroes a run for their money (remember Falme).

One more thing, most people think the line "and bodies fail" from the Prophesy refers to a great plague that is coming, I think it refers to the ghosts, another old belief was that you could not rest if your body was not whole when you died. Your body contains your soul and when your corpse decomposes naturally you pass on into peace. This is one reason graveyards are inviolate while in use and can be deconsecrated a couple of decades after they are no longer used. If you died by violence or your corpse was in some way not whole your soul would escape and be forced to haunt the world until it could find rest or your body parts were brought back together. People to this day insist on any amputated body part being preserved until they die or have it buried where they intend their grave to be.