George RR Martin -- The new Robert Jordan?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Broknpotre, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hehe. Sorry about the stupid pop title for the thread. It sounded funny in my head. :) (<-- Yay for accidental poetry)

Anyway, back the the subject at hand. Has anyone been reading George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series? He's got three books out for it now:

A Game of Thrones
    A Clash of Kings
    A Storm of Swords

I won't go into details about plot, but I just want to say that I haven't been more impressed with a fantasy author since Robert Jordan. And truthfully, I'm getting pretty sick of Jordan's plot stall tactics.

For anyone who wants a great, engrossing, unpredictable read, these books are for you. For anyone who has read or is reading them already, I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

2. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I have heard of this series, and like you most have told me that its as good as WoT, being #2 or #3 on their list (usually after Tolkien.) I would like to read them, but I want to finish the Wheel of Time and Dune series first.

3. Ditz

Ditz New Member

a land of shattered dreams and broken promises
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard a hell of a lot of good reviews about these books. I hope they don't go on as long as WOT though. I gave up after book 9

4. Broknpotre

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, so far there are only 3, but there is a great deal developing in the plot. I'll be satisfied no matter how many he ends up writing, as long as interesting things happen in each of them. I've gotten really frustrated with how much Jordan has been writing lately without having hardly anything happen for most of the books. Especially the last book, which seemed to be mostly everyone's reactions to what happened in the previous one. How long do you need to spend on that kind of crap? Bleh.

5. Ditz

Ditz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jordan's got too caught up in tertiary characters.

6. Broknpotre

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It wouldn't be so bad if his tertiary characters didn't spend almost all their time having annoying little arguements and getting nothing done.

7. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Ive read Goerge R R Martins book and enjoyed them immensely.

8. Ditz

Ditz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't read them yet, I've got to wait till my friend buys me the first book for my birthday. I flicked through the second book and the style seems good and I like the way he represents his characters. I'd have carried on flicking but I got shouted at by Alex, apparantly it's a massive crime.

9. Duskwalker

Duskwalker Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've just finished 'A Game of Thrones' today. It was amazing, loved every minute of it. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. Classic reading. I am going to buy 'A Clash of Kings' tomorrow. I hope its as good as the first book. What an author!

10. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Martin is so much better than Jordan. The plot actually moves forward, pretty rapidly. Also events aren't repeated from multiple points of view. If you see a battle through one character's eyes, then you're not going to go back and repeat it in the next chapter.

11. Loki the Demon

Loki the Demon "Belgium, Man!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the first of this series, and got a few pages in.. but had to put it down (too much other stuff on)
    could i have a bit of a synopis please? to get me more interested? What is some of the stuff that happens? Why is it so cool?
    Kind of a pity that apparently he's better than, or at least more exciting/fast paced than Jordan and hasn't got as much recognition. I've also heard that in this series there isn't really a 'good' side and a 'bad' side, or you don't know which is which or something. That sounds interesting
    c'mon guys, sell me!

12. Kadence

Kadence Tyrant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I thought this thread was actually intended as a diss--i.e., "He's the new Robert Jordan, because he's books take so long to come out and he keeps lengthening his series!" :eek:

He's far better than Jordan though. Not only his his prose better, his plot development is better--and his characters blow Jordan's shallow characters away. I used to love Jordan, but A Song of Ice and Fire has been better than even Wheel of Time at its best.

13. darkonesluck

darkonesluck New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think there are going to be six books. If I remember correctly, I think in an interview somewhere he said six, but this is fuzzy in my head so it could be wrong. I know for a fact that it's been said somewhere that the series is not going to be a continuous and long series, no more than six.

Sorry, I was wrong. There are going to be FIVE TOTAL books. The final one is going to be called "A Dance with Dragons." I just remembered this at work today.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  14. Kadence

Kadence Tyrant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Actually, A Feast For Crows is an additional book. He wasn't originally going to write a book covering the 5-year gap between A Storm of Swords and A Dance With Dragons, but the flashback sequences in the latter got cumbersome for him and he felt there were some stories he just had to tell directly. So now he says there will be seven books.

Also, remember that originally the series was only supposed to be three books--but he realized after writing A Game of Thrones that there was no way in hell that would work :D

I don't expect him to "pull a Jordan" and stretch out the series unbearably. But as long as the quality keeps up I don't mind if he does, like with the extra 4th book. The 4th book looks like it will be excellent, so I don't mind it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Balthor

Balthor Half-elf Ranger Smith

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have read Wheel of Time (Jordan), Sword of Truth (Goodkind), and Song of Ice and Fire (Martin). Both Jordan and Goodkind are telling similar stories in similar ways, and using deplorable stalling tactics to produce more books for those of us addicted to the characters to be forced to buy. I couldn't even read Book 10 in Jordan's series. Books and movies are interesting to readers because unbelievable things are happening to extremely interesting people. Jordan's last bunch of tripe has very ordinary, boring things happening to very un-interesting people. What a load of crap that was. And then just when you think he will finally get back to the action, he writes a pre-history! Scheister!!!

Now Martin - what a writer! Just when you think a certain character will obviously play a key role in wrapping up the story, -SLASH! someone cuts off their head! Definitely not predictable.
    I love the style of Jumping from one character to another's point of view each new chapter - annoying at first, but engrossing as the story develops.

Loki asked for a Synopsis, let's see...

Eddard Stark is the lord of Winterfell and best friend to the Robert, king of the land. He is asked to travel with Robert south to the seat of power, there to be the kings "hand" - basically rule the country while the king enjoys drinking hunting and whoring, which are much more fun than ruling. Eddard, being a singularly honest and honorable man is entirely out of his element with the political intrigues, plots, and back-stabbing going on at court, and soon himself, his wife, sons, and daughters are caught up in a very interesting web of various dangers.

The story is full of alliances, betrayals, murder, sacrifice, honour, duty, and even a bit of Magic that develops over the course of the story, although it is pretty much non-existent in the beginning.

Take everyone's advice and read it! You will not regret it.

I only wish it had been written and completed years ago, so I wouldn't have to wait a year for each new book to come out.

All the above is my own opinion, and should be salted with your own experience for proper digestion.

Balthor the Ranger.

16. Demandred

Demandred Forsaken

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    im almost done with a game of thrones and ive got to agree its a pretty awesome book. Martin writes from different points of view seemlessly, and while seeming to jump all over the place at the start his plot lines have all come together in several focal points near the end of the book. Can't say i agree with all the Jordan bashing thats going on in this thread though.

While your all entitled to your opinions, i personally believe that Jordan is a fantastic writer. i admit after i read the latest book in the series i wasnt terribly amused with the lack of action, however upon reflection, and some discussions with Unraveller i came to realise that as hes preparing to bring such an epic saga to a close, he needs to tie up all loose plot ends and bring all the characters time lines into sync. Also i dont remember reading a battle written several times from different perspectives. its usually just what other characters were doing at the same time as said battle.

but yeah back to the point of the thread, i've never really liked comparing authors because i think each author has something different and interesting to offer, however imho (and im still on the 1st book mind) Martin has a wee bit to go before i'll hold him in the same regard as i do Jordan. Hes made a good start though :p

17. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion ASoIaF beats WoT on almost all accounts (except from the best prologue ;))

Martin's an expert at suspense and character-developement, neither of which I think Jordan does very well (especially the character-developement bit). And while Jordan seems to follow the same "young hero with magic abilities goes forth to battle evil"-scheme of so many series before, Martin is more original in his choice of enemy (we have the Others, but they haven't been the main threat...thus far). His prose is much more action-oriented (might be a product of him having been in the film-industry), and he doesn't dwell as much on descriptions.

18. The Hound

The Hound The Everlasting Scream

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion the true beauty of Martin's work is the realism and view points.

Martin does show different views of the same event, but does so in such an amazing way that can completely make you rethink your thoughts on said event. Any situation you thought was completely black and white will eventually turn grey.

19. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My girlfriend got me A Game Of Thrones, so ill be getting right into it in a few days, so ill probably have lots of questions and stuff !

20. The Hound

The Hound The Everlasting Scream

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well feel free to ask me any questions at all, I jump at the chance to discuss SOIAF.

Search tags for this page

robert jordan and george martin

robert jordan and george rr martin
robert jordan or george martin

robert jordan vs george rr martin