Gay Rights Poll/Debate

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Tinuviel, Dec 4, 2003.

?

Are you for gay rights?

1. yes

232 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. no

68 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. yes and no

39 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Re: Homosexuality

In conversations I've had with guys, most find gay men repulsive, but lesbians seem to excite them. Go figure :p

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

Usually, mainly in an egoist manner. Like I stated above. A man would seldom (in real life circumstances) just sit around to watch two lesbians going at it; he'd want to join in and turn it into a way of satisfying himself.

3. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I recently read an article at Salon that discussed the same thing. I did not agree with some of the thoughts expressed there, but the author gave quite a good answer to the question why men find homosexual acts repulsive, but do not feel the same way about lesbian sex:
    (Out of the respect for the author, here’s the link to the complete article (:link: ), although the rest of the article is quite irrelevant in the context of current discussion.)
    ---
    I believe this is quite a common view, actually. You have nothing against gays in general, but the thought of them having sex makes you sick. IMO, this attitude of ”I have nothing against you, do whatever you do, but for heaven’s sake, never remind me that you actually are doing it.’’ has a negative side though. You don’t offend anyone with it, but still that way of judging the sexual act (that is often an expression of deep emotional attachment) between two men to be repugnant seems a bit unfair. As you said it yourself, you don’t want to know what goes on behind closed doors and indeed you don't know it, but still you seem to imagine the worst about it. What I’m wondering is: can this attitude (finding a part of someone’s everyday life so distasteful) negatively affect the relations between you and that person? Instinctual dislike towards someone based purely on the assumption of “what goes on behind the doors” could certainly do that.

(BTW, I’m not actually analyzing you in particular, just speculating about a certain attitude in general.)

A thought about the dislike of homosexual relationships…The opinion one forms about anything is influenced by the nature of the information one receives about it. Homosexual and heterosexual sexual acts can look equally disgusting if presented in a way that concentrates only on certain body parts and actions, focusing only on the physical processes. The difference is that a heterosexual person can identify with a male-female couple, but can never really psychologically relate to homosexual partners. Thus, “het” will become understandable, "gay" remains disgusting. So maybe the antipathy towards homosexuality is partially caused by receiving too much information about its physical aspects? I mean, this far the approach for educating people about gay issues has been: “The more you know about it, the less you are afraid of it and the more tolerant you become’’, but the effect it has on people often seems to be quite the opposite.

What an excellent idea. I think no-one here would oppose watching you running around in a tongue costume… I would certainly have my camera ready :D :D

4. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

I agree asap! I salute your intelligence ;)

I'd pay to see that LOLOL

5. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

I wholeheartedly agree! (proudly wears her "I agree with asap" T-shirt)

6. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

Asap,

I agree with most of the things you said, but just one point I'd like to make. I know that you were not personally analyzing "me", but I want to state that I have no problem with homosexual relationships on an emotional level ie. attachment, I have friends (co-workers, a couple, actually) that are gay, and while I am with them, the fact that they are gay does not preoccupy my mind, no more than my hetero friends' lovelives do. I would like to think that my Muslim and Jamaican friends don't primarily think of me as the guy who likes oral sex.

It is true, though, from a retrospective view that I was a little more (...ummm, for the lack of a better word) accepting(?) or forgiving(?) of homosexual sexual behaviour in my youth 20 years ago when it wasn't being shoved in my face at every turn.

Oh, and don't hold your breath about the float thing, my tongue suit is in at the cleaners...;)

7. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I just want to take a quick moment to take back everything I said that was wrong- sorry!:)
    By the way, I really enjoy this discussion and want you to know I did NOT join it to make people angry or cause a fuss. I'm really just reminding everyone that homosexuality IS wrong, it IS a perversion of a really beautiful thing, and should NOT be practiced or encouraged in any of its forms (gay, lesbian, bi-sexual).
    P.S. If anyone does more research,(and I encourage everyone to:)) please do NOT hesitate to post it. Y'all are great!

8. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

You are confused. You say you were wrong and then condemn homosexuality?? WHAT??? :rolleyes:

9. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

??? please explain?

10. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

While I appreciate the sentiment that I presume was behind your apology, that was the most backhanded apology that I have ever heard. And I am married. :p I do not see the point of making an apology, only to reiterate your condenming of homosexuality in the very next sentence. I am going to give you the benefit of doubt and hope that you were apologizing for your unnecessarily hurtful and offensive language, rather than your opinion(although IMO, that could use an apology too ;) ).

11. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Urambo- exactly what Tin said

12. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

You're married Arwen?! :p :p

13. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Arwen, have you found anything else in your textbook? I'm really curious

14. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

umm no LOL...ok everything except that part :p

and no there isn't much more in my text since it is NOT considered abnormal behavior.

15. Urambo Tauro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

hmmm... that's strange

16. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

erm..not really :rolleyes:

17. Kiernan

Kiernan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I doubt anyone here can come up with conclusive scientific data to resolve this debate. At the moment, there is little more than speculation in the scientific community as to why some people are straight and why some people are gay.

I can see where you're coming from there. I'm a heterosexual guy, and I also find "homosexual sexual acts" somewhat distasteful.

However, there are many heterosexual acts that I also find distasteful (what those are I won't go into, this is a public forum). What one person is into sexually may easily disgust another, thats just how it is.

But the fact is, how does two gay men having sex affect me? It doesn't. How do heterosexual couples sex fetishes affect me? They don't. So while some people have sex in ways that make me think "Ugh, I'd never do that," I just don't really care beyond that initial thought. What a person likes to do in bed is never going to influence my opinion of them or of their social/sexual connections.

And Skyanide - no offense intended here. I'm just putting in my two cents. I do agree with you that overly flaunting sexuality in public, whether hetero or homosexual, is something to be avoided. It's never happened to me though. When/where did you run into this?

- Kiernan

18. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

There is a large huge gay population in Toronto, which is an hour away from here. By all accounts, media and all, the Gay Pride Parades can get quite "graphic".

And perhaps I am being overly sensitive, but I do to some extent get "annoyed" when certain TV shows ie. Will and Grace, etc. use the "gimmick" of portraying homosexuality as a "normal" lifestyle. But that's just me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  19. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I'd agree with that, the public depictions of these things are a bit over the top.

20. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

You act like all homosexuals walk around flaunting their sex lives and that's all they're about. I thought you said you knew people that wer gay..I'm sure that's not the case with all of them...they act pretty normal to me (except they generally are funnier than straight people).