Gay Rights Poll/Debate

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Tinuviel, Dec 4, 2003.

?

Are you for gay rights?

1. yes

232 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. no

68 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. yes and no

39 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    It really chaps my hiney to see or hear any kind of prejudice. I have read a few posts here lately that reek of prejudice against homosexuals, and that made me think. Is homosexuality 'wrong' in your opinion? Why or why not? Any other thoughts you might like to add are always welcome.

2. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Re: Homosexuality

I totally agree with you Tin! I don't believe homosexuality is a choice one makes, it is who they are.

Being in the horse world I know a lot of gay guys and they are all great (and extremely funny).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

I'll weigh in here with what may seem to be a hypocritical point of view, but here it is, nonetheless.

What you do, between consenting ADULTS, behind closed doors, is of nobody's business but your own. Period. Keep it to yourself. Period.

I also believe that homosexuality is a biological condition, not a lifestyle choice*; no more than diabetes or blue eyes or naturally straight teeth is a lifestyle choice.

However, personally, I do not think of it as a "natural" condition in the sense of "normality". All religious aspects aside, homosexuality is in contradiction to natural law, which makes a species want to propagate. There is nothing from what I can see that is propagative about the homosexual act. You may argue all you wish about heterosexuals having non-reproductive sex, but the root natural drive behind it it procreation. Is it wrong? Well, not in the strictest sense. Being diabetic or having crooked teeth isn't wrong either. But I wouldn't want to be that way, and to me it isn't "normal".

And yes, I do know gay people, and people who are "ambiguously gay". I would still stop to help if they were stranded at the side of the road, I'd allow them in my house if it was raining out. I would treat them with the same compassion and friendliness as I would any other person. They don't proposition me, the subject doesn't come up.

But did you notice the "*" with lifestyle choice? There is a qualification there. While I don't per se find homosexual people repulsive, I find the concept of the homosexual act, specifically between two men, absolutely repugnant. If two consenting gay people want to be intimate behind closed doors, go them. I don't want to know.

This is the problem I have. Why do "SOME" gays feel it's OK to act so flauntingly (ie. openly sexually explicit) about it? I'm not talking about holding hands, or kissing in public SEE: Gay Pride Parade (This is the "*" with the lifestyle choice). The problem I have has nothing to do with love, or civil rights. It has to do with common decency. If heterosexual people acted that way in public, they'd get arrested. If I decry it - I'm a non-PC, homophobic latent sexual deviant who probably beats my wife. What gives with the double standard? Why should my children have to be exposed to that?

If I decided to ride on a float going down the street, in a thong, chanting and dry-humping an equally scantily clad woman, I'd get arrested on the spot. And so I should be. There's just no need for that kind of behaviour in public.

Unfortunately for gays, when someone thinks of "gay", that often is the first image that comes to mind. The Blue Oyster Bar. That's the kind of disservice these things do to a community that "just wants to fit in and be treated like everyone else". How can you expect that when not only do some not act like "everyone else", but some act worse than everyone else; and feel that it's perfectly OK to do so.?

What you do, between consenting ADULTS, behind closed doors, is of nobody's business but your own. Period. Keep it to yourself. Period.

Sky

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I always think that there better than the straight people it seems to me that there all friendly!!

but i hate the facted that pop stars and tv stars use homomsexulity as a popleasty stunt (dont know how to spell it) take for example TATU!!

5. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I dont have anything against them in particular, I wouldnt like the idea of being gay. But I wouldnt diss anyone for being as of such.

6. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Does anybody watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy? Great show- but anyway I find it really interesting how all the different straight guys react to them. Most of them seem a bit apprehensive at first, some won't even let them touch them...generally by the end of the show most of them have changed their tune.

7. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Trinity, its spelled publicity.

I don't think I need to say anything because I'd just be copying Sky's post. I don't have a problem with it (my best guy friend is gay) but if someones doing stuff, I don't want to hear about it.

8. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

For the most part, I do agree with Sky. However, I think that if homosexuality was readily accepted in our society, gay pride parades(along with the thong clad dry humper aboard the float) and more ambiguous acts would not take place. At least not moreso than in the hetrosexual population. Just as with anything, the is a backlash. Homosexuals are trying to get equal rights and recongnition in our culture. Unfortunately, the nature of the beast demands that some people will overassert themselves in this effort. Kind of like the bra burning of the 60/70s.

• Like Like x 1
  9. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I have nothing against homosexuals as everyone is equal in gods eyes but i do think that it iis a strange preference to be a homosexual but again nothing against them

10. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Don't blame the girls of Tatu for that one. It is there manager who was bored one day and decided to set up a homosexual band for his own pleasure and next thing you know they are famous. They aren't even really gay, Bi at the most

11. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

*pukes all over the floor*

If it was right, it wouldn't be so obviously wrong.

12. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

I guess I am missing the blinding flash of the obvious....what is so wrong about it? Enlighten me.

13. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

wow- way to be prejudice Urambo!

14. Chaos

Chaos The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just think of it this way - if it was a choice, who in their right mind would choose to be homosexual, what with all the crap they get from so many people? Let people do what they want about their own sexuality - it's not anyone else's business.

15. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Whew, I was hoping someone would come along and say something as brilliant as that.

Do you have an intelligent arguement, or are you just trying to tick someone off?

16. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

^^Hehe...for a minute I thought you were being sarcastic....^^

17. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Talk about being closed minded :rolleyes:

I don't believe it is a choice.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  18. Isis

Isis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm glad to see so many open minds in this thread. Homosexuality is a genetic mutation, one that cannot be helped. Like has been said before, who in their right mind would choose a life of ridicule and discrimination? What do you all feel about same sex marraiges? I, for one, am for it. I don't see why not. If two people are in love, then it is a beautiful thing and it should be celebrated. Who cares if the two people are of the same sex? Whom does it hurt?

19. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

^^I am not against gay marriages in principle, but I have to ask "why"? What purpose does it hold when it is not treated in the same manner of hetero marriages? Sharing of benefits without the pitfalls of divorce?

It'll be interesting in years to come when there's the first gay divorce...:rolleyes:

20. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Here's what people need to understand.

Tolerance is not acceptance. So often do people in these types of debates confuse the two. Accpetance means you tolerate something, but it does not work the other way around.

I tolerate homosexuality. I do not accept it and would not want any of my children to be gay. I know some gay people but I am not really friends with any of them, because we don't share very many interests. That in many peoples eyes would mean I am an intolerable bigot.

I do believe it is a disorder, but for people to harass them because of something they can't help is horrible.

However, anyone who says if you're gay you can't become straight (which I have heard a lot of gay activists say) is lying. There are hundreds of people who have, one of my brothers best men at his wedding used to be gay, but he's married too. To a woman.

It also bothers me that someone would classify themselves entirely by who they sleep with. I mean, I'm heterosexual, but I don't go around proclaiming my sexual life. I posted something similar to this on another forum, and I actually (it was at IMDb.com, forgot what movie) got a response from another fellow claiming to be gay, saying he agrees with me in this subject. He's gay, but he'd rather be known as a talented artist or piano player instead of being gay.

Edit: I almost remember who specifically said if you're gay you can't become straight. Anyone remember the gay man who wanted to be a Boy Scouts leader but wasn't allowed because he was gay? He was on TV defending himself and other gay people, and this was one of the points he adamantly defended.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2003