Gay major characters

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by crowstein, Oct 7, 2010.

1. crowstein

crowstein New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Here's what I'm wondering: Why is it some women writers create really wonderful and thoroughly kick ass gay characters but the men writers not so much. I mean Hobb, Carey,Elliot(ok, not so kick ass, true)and, Flewelling(especially because the Nightrunner series features totally kick ass hero/protagonists who happen to be gay)have major gay characters but the only guy writer I can think of who has featured a gay main character is TA Pratt. Of course, he writes more of an urban fantasy series and they, maybe because they are mostly written by women, are usually a bit more anything goes.

This isn't an invitation to an arguement or a heavy judgement thing, I'm just wondering...I have some theories but they end up casting the guy writers in kind of a bad light. Anyone?

2. freedomtaken

freedomtaken Predominately Inept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure really. In regards to gay characters women seem to have a grasp on things. I have yet to read a male's version of the concept at all so I can't put my two cents in. Maybe because it comes across as fan fictioney at times (Lackey anyone). Maybe the characterisation without resorting to major stereotyping stumps them...

3. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    because men are less comfortable about the subject? or because most male writers are straight and unable to empathize with gay characters?

4. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    If you are including comics, Warren Ellis, a guy, wrote The Midnighter series. He's gay and incredibly badass.

5. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I read An Interview With A Vampire and it was too sexual for my taste.

Actually, I couldn't give a care if a character is gay in a book. Just don't be in a relationship. They're the worst parts of the stories, I swear. Even straight relationships get passed over.

6. Univerze

Univerze New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Crowstein, I love you for mentioning Carey. It's one reason I love her books so much, she's not fickly about her characters being gay, bisexual, whatever. She has plenty of straight ones in there but, at least amongst D'Angelines (and more often than not with the rest as well) it seems it doesn't matter to her what you are. Me likey. :)

But I don't know.. I do think that indeed, apart from men who are themselves gay, men are less comfortable with it than women?

Oh, and reacting to above post, screenxsaver, was Interview with the Vampire just too sexual, or too gay? I love sex(ual) in my books, I won't say a book is not complete without it, since I also adore the classics, but when there's a sexual atmosphere in a book and they get it right, it's getting lots of kudos from me. :)

7. Reece56364

Reece56364 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excatly my thought
    I wouldnt feel comfotable thinking about everything to do with a gay man, then writing a book about him. No offence

8. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Too sexual. I don't care who he was in a relationship with- I wanted to know more about Vampires in the world. But we have him in a relationship with like three men, a woman (I think) and a vampire loli. No thanks.