Gaunt's Ghosts

Discussion in 'Games Workshop' started by Meteorain, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone else read the Gaunt's Ghosts series?

I started reading them many years ago, but only just recently managed to get the last book to finish off the series. Personally I think they are well written. sure the books are mainy about fighting, but that's what WH40k is all about isn't it?

I really like the descriptions aswell as how the characters are developed, even the smaller one's. I also like how he's not afraid to kill of some of the more important named characters, and not fail in doing so. It's sad to see them die but he does it well.

Also, even though it's mainly about the action he manages to incorporate other factors in quite well imo. Like the love interests between certain characters, their ambitions, hates, their poor position in the guard, all sorts of things.

Anyway what do you guys think?

P.S. I believe you have to be a bit of a WH40k fan to appreciate these books.

2. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I like them, they're far more realistic (in terms of body count) than the vast majority of sci-fi/fantasy. The premise (and the main character) are pretty cool too. But as a series they still come second to Eisenhorn...

3. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I've yet to read Eisenhorn, but I don't think reading about a radical Inquisitor can be as much fun as reading about Guard, well not this Guard regiment anyway :p

4. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    You have to read Eisenhorn...

5. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Goddamnit....I just found out one of my favourite character's died. He survived much harder things. DAMN YOU ABNETT!! (he's still awesome though).

I mean I don't mind it when he killed other characters I really liked...but this circumstance was special. Omg damnittttt.

I get too attached to book characters :(

It's a good thing I came across this beforehand...now I can steel myself. Damnit this ruined my otherwise good day -.-

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  6. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Which one? (I think I know but I don't want to give it away if you're not there yet)

Coincidentally I'm rereading them now too, just finished Necropolis.

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    SPOILER:

It's Caffran. His situation was really different from the others, considering his unique relationships with other characters in the books. I don't feel too bad now, but still...poor Tona + kids (obviously you know about Tona and the kids now right?)

Necropolis was good wasn't it? The whole vervunhive incident really was well written, showing how even the normal (cannon fodder?) people of the 40k universe cope. Plus...how awesome are habber like Soric and Kolea? Shit all the named ghost characters are awesome (cept Cuu...you'll get to that bastard).

Lol and Gaunt's still the ladykiller at his age :p

P.S. Gonna read Eisenhorn...after I do the Soul Drinkers and catch up with the Ragnar series...jsut need the money. Btw I recommend the Space Wolf series (ragnar)...William King is probably the other great author in WH.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  8. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Read Felix and Gotrek and you'll disagree, same story repeated 7 times...

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Hah, well I referring to his 40k works. I've never read any of the Fantasy books. Possibly Space Wolf is one of those series where he just writes well?

My friend and I, both avid scifi and fantasy readers agree that the Space Wolf series is a pretty fun series. Mostly because Rangar is just so cool, and the Space Wolf swearing methods are funny :p