Gandalf vs. Dumbledore

Discussion in 'Polls' started by aaron.j.cypher, Feb 22, 2004.

?

Who would win in a duel?

1. Gandalf

104 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. Dumbledore

16 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    In any case, even hp fans admit that Gandalf will pwn dumbledore, so anybody else who said otherwise are n00bs. :D tbh, that gengreko n00b is talking shit. :S

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... Sauron is a different matter entirely, for that.

I'm actually not sure about the Maia. A lot of the lore seem concentrate on the death of Elves and Humans in comparison.

What, for instance, happened to that Balrog Gandalf defeated?

3. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Tolkien doesn't elaborate on the fate of the balrog. His description of Balrogs changed over time. In the The Silmarillion they were plentiful and elves were capable of destroying them (examples Echthelion & Glorfindel). By LoTR Tolkien's notes suggest that there no more than 7 and they were now Maiar.

What this poll is really comparing is a divine being albeit lesser than the Valar vs a human wizard. Tolkien doesn't describe the limitations of a Maia's power. Take away Dumbledore's wand though and he has what left exactly?

4. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    A bad beard.

5. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. Numbers of Balrogs have never quite been agreed on; I've read articles claiming there would have been as little as 4.

And I'm not quite sure whether Dumbledore can preform without his wand (that came out rather dubiously...); though there is no doubt that he would be much, much weaker.

But, thinkin back about the two big Wizzard Fights, being Sauron vs. Gandalf and Dumbledore vs. Voldemort at the Ministry of Magic's... There seeems to be a lot more action going on in the latter.

6. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    That may seem so, but that's because Gandalf is fighting a different kind of battle. It may not be as showy, but it's more serious.

7. Blood Battosai

Blood Battosai Death Become of you

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    gandalf hands donw i mean he not only has magic he has a freaking sword and a huge staff (thats what she said) compared to that little wand of dumbeldore's wand

8. CaPtYnCrOnIc

CaPtYnCrOnIc The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Gandolf hands down. He's got a ring of power per the end of LOTR

9. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Lol no. If I remember correctly, Gandalf has already possessed the Ring of Fire in LOTR.

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Gandalf never held the Ring of Power (Do Not Tempt Me, Frodo Baggins!)- and at the end of LoTR, that particular Ring was distroyed, remember?

And yes, Cirdan gave Gandalf that ring long before the LoTR tale starts. I'm not sure whether he gave it to him on Gandalfs initial landing on Middle Earth's - or lateron. But I am quite sure it was way before even Bilbo was born...

So, in the end, size does matter heh?

Far as we know, that wand doesn't posess any power other than that of a blunt object connecting, forcefully, to - say - a skull. Quite opposed to Albus' death stick...

And there is the issue of Glamdring, though its description asserts special powers against orcs only; we have little to no idea how it holds against any other creature (I can't remember any instance in which it did; it didn't seem to impress the Trolls from which they were taken...). Generally though, Potterian wizzards don't seem to be too impressed with swords..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  11. CaPtYnCrOnIc

CaPtYnCrOnIc The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Not THE Ring of Power but one of the three the elves held. There is a note of it at the very end of LOTR when Frodo and Bilbo are about to get on the boat to leave Middle Earth. There was never any mention of one before this though in LOTR. I just got done reading it again.

12. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Gandalf had the ring of fire to "relit the fire in the hearts of men" like it says in the Silmarillion or the Unfinished Tales.

Gandalf was a very strong figure in fantasy literature and he still is.With all his advice and friendly smile,his strict(sometimes)gaze or just his fireworks...it makes me think of the Uriah Heep song "The Wizard".Yeah you can imagine it as well...a fire lit at night,travelling adventurers around it....listening to the wizard's tales.

That's Gandalf!

13. Kaine999

Kaine999 ┼╫£ §₧£§╫µ⌠

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I voted Gandalf, it is kinda obvious that he would win.

14. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah....

Most scolars agree that Gandalf declares ownership of Narya, the Third Elven Ring there.

However, we know for sure as to what happened at least from other books.

Now, from what we know, Gandalf must have arrived on the shores of ME at least 1000 years before the War of the Ring starterd, so we can be safe in assuming he got that ring far before it all started...

15. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Gandalf.
    Gandalf can handle a ring of power, last time DD got a ring of power his hand died.

16. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    im very uneducated on thepowers of dumbeldore but from the movie i get the idea that he doesnt use hs powers alot, therefore gandalg need only waltz up to him and stab him with glamdring.

17. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I do think DD is a powerful wizard in his own right. If not, then he won't be the chief of Hogwarts. But then again, why logic dictates Gandalf pwns him is because Gandalf is a Maiar and the Maiars are roughly the equivalent to the Biblical angels so as to say. Meaning Maiars > humans. But one interesting thing I've found out tho is that the Istaris' powers are bounded by the limits of the world. Meaning whatever they do in the mortal world is nowhere near what they're truly capable of otherwise. So yeah, DD fans need not to be too downhearted. Maybe DD have a fighting chance. But since Gandalf has Narya, I still doubt DD can still hold an edge over him. :) But that's for the Grey version. White version will pwn DD without a doubt. Gandalf the White = total pwnage. :D

18. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Not to mention Gandalf has always seemed more active. If the competition is a foot race I think he'll leave DD in the dust hacking up a lung.... or tripping over his impressive beard

19. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    i just put two and two together and realized that dumbledore is the guy from the count of monte cristo.

i have new respect for the man.

20. Kai

Kai Dark Jedi Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I voted Gandalf, but for the sake of being against the flow.

Dumbledore comes from a world where magic is very powerful. Gandalf's world of magic is low key. Even though he is a Maiar or whatever, he is limited in his use. His greatest acts of power are throwing flaming pine cones and causing a bridge to fall.

On the otherhand Dumbledore has the "Wand" and his use of magic is seen over and over again, especially since he is the greatest wizard of his age. A sword in this instance means nothing, magic is a ranged power, Gandalf really shouldn't be getting close enough to use it.

Search tags for this page

gandalf vs dumb