Gandalf on Bridge

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Gavaha, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    When Gandalf has the bridge broken, he just stands there for a moment or 4, he coulda just left and been safe, I think thats kinda stupid

Attached Files:

2. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Gandalf realized that he needed to sacrifice himself to defeat the Balrog. He willingly gave himself to die for the ones he loved. I think Tolkien put it in there as a reference to his religion.

3. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I ment before the balrog got him with his whip

Attached Files:

4. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    he might not have expected a big fiery whip to wrap around him.
    He was quite 'unwary'. I mean how didnt they guess Saruman was up to something?

5. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think it was because he thought he was free and clear. You know taking that first few relaxing steps, not in a hurry, but just bretahing to relax so you can go on. kind of like whew!! i made it!! but then nooooooooo, the big bad balrog had to play dirty and use his whip to drag him down hehehe

6. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    i think he was just seeing what would happen to the balrog, as it is one badass demon that could probably survive the fall, he was just looking to check.

or to make sure it hadnt have grabbed the side of the wall and started climbing up.

7. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Tolkien must have needed some way to get gandalf to, pardon the video game RPG lingo, "level up". If Gandalf was to continue on as Gandalf the Grey, could he oust Saruman from Orthanc.

8. elvenarcherinarms

elvenarcherinarms Fellow Archr of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    LOOK! ...the thing is, you're all referring to the Gandalf v Balrog fight portrayed in PJ's Fellowship, go back to the book and see if it happens the same before you start making comments like these!!
    *Howevr, if your referring to the movie..... then you're clear of any wrong-doing and i apologize for my behaviour [pardon if othrwise]

9. elvenarcherinarms

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i like your angle Crusadr..... *looking down to see if he was climbin back up* haHA! showin sum improvisational wit there bud
    'course it's a perfectly reasonable point considering the movie...
    thumbs for Crusadr and his MASTR point he made not a reply ago! :D

10. Eowyn

Eowyn Shieldmaiden

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That waiting really annoyed me too. It was very stupid of Gandy I thought. Did it go like that in the book too? I can't remember.

11. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    If you were to look at the movie one more time you would see that Gandalf appears to be quite exhausted after the bridge collapse as I am sure it took a lot of power out of him. So put yourself in his shoes. You would be almost too tired to go anywhere. And thinking that it was over and you are all set why would you move? Exactly you wouldn't. You would catch your breath, etc, etc.:balrog:

12. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    good point jeff, gandalf would have needed extreme force of will to both run all the way there and do that magic thing he does, he would have been very exausted, not mentioning the fact that he has the body of an achy old man.

although one insentive for him to move might be the goblin arrows the keep pinging off the walls.

13. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just cuz Gandalf and Saruman look like they're old, doesn't necessarily mean that they are old. They take the form of an elderly man when they are in middle earth. They are probably in better shape and could do more than Aragorn or possibly Legolas or anyone else.

14. elvenarcherinarms

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dalleron: CHECKMATE!
    *claps*
    Gandalf is like an almighty Istari and over 7,000 yrs or sumthing old during LOTR [isnt he, i heard that sumwhere or othr] *so he's heavy duty customr when it comes to toughin' it out in ole middle-earth

15. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    the only thing about that is that a balrog is of the same race and division as the Istar, according the encyclopedia of Arda. Only a balrog is a balrog, and an Istar is an Istar. Both are Maiar, which are in turn Ainur. In essence they are cousins, for lack of a better word. I can't totally wrap my head around that.
    Imagine a fight with two combatants of, i assume, similiar power. The winner would be exhausted, 'erego, Gandalf dies and returns stronger for having won.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  16. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    actually Dalleron there i have a quote somewhere that gandalf says, i cant remeber it exactly but it goes something like this:

"Why did the valar send me here in the body of a frail old man to suffer all the aches and pains of this mortal body."

or something similar.

17. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Good call

Good Call Crusader. I will find that quote for you I know where it is. Anyways Dall lets take this into consideration and bring it to reality. Say you were fighting something and for example you are an average size human which would be around 5'8" - 5'10" 170lbs - 200lbs and you were fighting something 100times larger than yourself. So say it was 100 feet tall and weighed an enourmous amount. You would have to put EVERY DROP of ENERGY you have into kill that bugger of a beast or whatever it was you were fighting. Maia, Istari or whatever I do not care. You could be the invinceable man and still get your ass whooped. Bottom line is he fell and went for a ride because he was exhausted as you or I would be fighting something like that. I do not think Gandlaf would be afraid of some poorly made Golbin arrows though that was the least of his worries. I am also moving this to the debate area.

18. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    what you say is totally true, but does size really matter that much in this case? I haven't read anywhere that explains the extents of Gandalfs abilities or that of a Balrogs. Who knows what Gandalf could have really done to a Balrog, or vice versa aside from it killing everyone.

19. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that the Istari were put in those bodies by the Valar, making them fragile, and "perishable".

20. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    good points everone, gandalf was tired and exausted and so just took a moment or two to regain his breath, while making sure he had a few hundred vertical feet between himself and the balrog.