Gaelic tunic

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Celticberserker, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Celticberserker

Celticberserker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There's always a lot of romanticized ideas on Celtic clothing which is just so ridiculously inaccurate... And I hate that shit. I love the real plaid pants, long tunics, animal skin shoes/boots and long belt fashion that Celtic men had.

I want at this point to make a tunic, a long one much like the Irish Celts used to wear:

[​IMG]

Simple design I thought, although it sort of borders on noble fashion considering the lovely checkered trims. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about making a tunic like this?

2. Aatell

Aatell The one who has two minds

The brotherhood of brothers of brothering brotherl
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i dont know i bet itd look cool though

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    It's a basic T-tunic. If you can get your fabric long and wide enough you just draw the basic shape opened out, then stitch up the sides and voila!

Is the checkered trimming period?

4. Celticberserker

Celticberserker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oddly enough it is period. It's one of the fanciest things that the Celts did with clothing.

Often they used to have checkered pants or an entire checkered tunic much like you would have with plaid. But in Gaul, Iberia and Ireland; Celts were well known for having checkered trims on their tunics, dresses or capes- Although Black and white seems to be the most popular combination of colors.

Search tags for this page

long celtic tunic name