Gûd Daedheloth - Lack of Info

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Anyone know if it's gonna have a plaque or a table-top display?
    Or if it comes with its sheath, or if the sheath is coming out soon, or what?
    Kit? Larry? Anybody?

2. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I'm concerned about this one too-- I don't want to shell out $200 for the knife just to find out it will be six more months and another $200 to get the sheath. I would think that a sheath would be standard with a knife, but then I though the same about the Legolas daggers...

3. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, for Legolas' Daggers, they're only $10 more, but you get two knives and a plaque.
    What do we get with Gûd???

4. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How about a plaque to display the knife AND the included sheath? Where are the specs and pics already!!!

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'd guess no sheath but a plaque. It'll have to have a display stand/plaque of some sort, because that's what these items are designed for - to be displayed.

I'd be really (pleasantly) surprised of they released a sheath with it. I think it's just too much to hope for considering the extra separate time and effort it seems to take to make them.
    Is there any hope? There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.... ;-)

6. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well the ironic thing here is, YES the swords are display items, but the funny thing is Stainless steel is a perfectly acceptable steel for short blades like knives if properly heat treated. so the aragorn knife, depending on tang construction, will actually be the only functional peice....

7. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ah, but the Ring was still destroyed. So we still may get a sheath! ;D

8. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ahhh, guess who's been watching the ROTK teaser over and over...a Fool's hope indeed!

I seem to recall way back when that Kit indicated there would be a sheath for the Hunting Knife-- in the same interview that he said the daggers would come on a plaque with sheaths separately available. It was unclear even then whether the sheath for G.D. would come separately or be included.

David S, is sharpening the "false edged" stainless blades like the Hunting Knife with a sharpening stone a good idea? I agree that if you tried to sharpen the Ranger blade that way, you would destroy the blade's edge-- but what about the knife?

9. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Elrohir, Gûd Daedheloth will come sharpened, like Hadhafang.

10. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but what if I dull the blade on Orc necks, or wish to sharpen it even more?

11. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno.

12. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yah that's why I am asking David S-- he will know whether it is appropriate to re-sharpen the stainless edges of swords like Sting, Hadhafang and Gud Daedheloth.

Speaking of which, that one site claimed that G.D. was due out on September 1. Where are the specs if that is the case? In fact, where are the specs if it is due out in September anytime?

After seeing it once again in the TTT DVD, I really must have one! Plus then I want to see if it will attach to BBB's Ranger belt appropriately...

13. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well i have handled most of the UC LOTR swords, but i have only handled Hadafang once. Only it and sting are sharpened to my knowledge and if i remember correctly, sting was sharpened similar to all the other UC swords i have seen, and that is they are hollow ground edges, which means if you take a FLAT sharpening stone and start lapping it, then you will actually destroy the secondary edge geometry and you would have to effectivly regrind the WHOLE blade to get a decent edge back.
    I could understand how this knife might prehaps be used, heck it might make a decent camp knife.......
    but the swords, there is no reason for them to be sharpened. Why they sharpened Hadafang? i dont know. especially since it sits in its stand EDGE down, making them sharp only intices some fool to go and try to cut with them. "Oh i know what EVERYONE says, but i think my sword is stronger"............ smart people learn and listen to others, a fool hears others and has to try it himself anyway......

14. ladyhawk

ladyhawk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nasnandos replied on another forum yesterday that the dates listed for the releases of the products are inaccurate in some cases, he stated and I quote "the dates listed earlier look more or less accurate with a few exceptions. Strider's sword scabbard AND the Elven knife are more like 11-1-03. As for Legolas's Knives, he says and I quote again "We don't actually start producing anything until they approve a final sample (meaning New Line) but I can confrim that they look great, especially the Legolas Knoves. We'll be making a scabbard set for those next year" end quote. No mention whether the Elven Knife comes with a scabbard or not, but it looks like it will not be out on 9/1.

15. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    look for some very good news forthcoming soon guys!

16. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Swordsman, at this point the only possible "good" news would be that Gud Daelheloth is not only shipping with its sheath, but is also coming out in September or October-- and I'll wager that at least one of those won't happen! It's time for UC to show their hand. Where are the specs and the prices? Where is th ehorn that was blowing?

17. stricker

stricker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Swordsman buddy! What aren't ya telling us?!? Well if I had to choose between waiting until november and having it come without a scabbard....
    I'd definately wait and get the scabard with the blade. It just doesn't seem right that Legolas' TWO knives are only 10 dollars more than the ONE elven blade. I'm really hoping it comes with the sheath!!!

I just hope this news does come soon.

18. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The elven knife is listed to be $40 higher than Sting. Think about it. There will be a sheath. It makes sense. I'd count on the sheath more than a plaque. It doesn't really need a plaque does it?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  19. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I understand your concern, but we as retailers go by the standards set by United and they have said they will come as a set and that the sheaths will be sold separately. Judging by the pictures I see these are going to be two substantial pieces as far as size goes, so to be priced at a tad bit over the cost of "Sting" to me says that it will be worth the cost. And you are getting two, not one, etched blades with wooden handles adorned with brass pommels! And who knows what other surprises they will have, until the official pictures and specs come out we just do not know. We should be getting the specs soon on these, but to be honest they are not slowing down as far as pre-order sales go. I mean we had people asking us to take pre-orders months ago without any verification or description of them at all. One thing for certain is there going to be the next best seller of the series.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003