Functional sword manufacturers - What you need to know

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Justice, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Kellarly

Kellarly Snow Merchant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ok, fair enough, these are my comparisons,

St.George Armoury - 15th Century hand and a half - £200 + £20 shipping ($381.50 US)*

Albion - Squireline Late 15th Century Bastard Sword - $300 + $30 shipping (£190.30) + Import Duty of 30% ish $90 = Grand total of £242.23 and a hell of a lot more hassle and risk on the import.

If you want a training blunt from Albion which is comparable to my St.George sword, its going to cost you even more as they start (for the Eppe de Guerre model) at $370 (£294.71 at 30% import tax).

An Atrim sparring blunt (as seen on Christian Fletchers website) costs $540, which would set me back circa. £422.21 (inc. import duty and the $30 shipping on top of that).

Without the import tax it would be viable, however, the risk of transportation makes it a lot harder for me to really consider spending a sizeable amount of money on importing a blade from the states.

Besides, I have handled Albions before, and I would honestly say that the quality level is comparable, hence why should I risk it? Armour Class swords are even cheaper, although far more flexible than my St.George which isn't a trait I want.

So for a training blunt it's cheaper, less risky and of equal quality to buy from a british smith than from across the Atlantic.

*All currency conversions done by using www.xe.com

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    It's numbers like that that make me glad we can make our blunt steel swords for about USD$60 :)

3. Kellarly

Kellarly Snow Merchant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    :D

Thats cool! Is that just material costs or do you sell them to the public like that too?

The only thing is I've handled many other makes and when I see swords that cheap, without handling them, I don't trust it will be a good sword until I've handled it, because the amount of dodgy swords out there has made me very wary. Not that I would accuse you of that, from your other posts it obvious you know what you're on about so, but I'd need to handle one first before I bought it.

Do you have a website or any stats for your swords? I know numbers don't give a true picture, but they can provide an idea of what your swords are like. I read your Grey Company website from your profile and they look pretty cool.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Just for us, we don't sell them on. But I'm sure there are local engineering companies anywhere that can do lasercutting and prefab stuff.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bill/laser.html

This page shows the blank blade, and the completed sword. Nice strong tang and sturdy blade. My last single handed sword sword I weighed was about 1.1kg/ from memory. Most are slightly heavier than that, but keep in mind we use 3mm edges, not ground down and lighter edges. Maximum length for a single hander pommel to tip is 85cm/33.4 inches. I'm not sure what steel we use, but these bad boys last and last.

5. TrueSwordsman

TrueSwordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you can actually split functional swords into 3 sections or categories of quality/price.

$0 - $150 most swords in this price range though dubbed battle ready do not have the tempering process to hold up under strenuous use such as blade on blade contact or cutting exercises. (though the blunt swords by CAS ((made by Paul Chen)) fall in this price range I feel they are higher quality than their price would dictate)

$151 - $300 these are generally the middle range quality swords produced by Paul Chen, Windlass, and Generation 2. Sometimes referred to as beater swords they will hold up to cutting and blade on blade contact rather well. (I do not think Depeeka falls in this category and would never attempt to use one. The steel is too soft and not tempered properly)

$300 plus are the Trims, Albion, etc. These are all very good quality and breakage is very rare.

Search tags for this page

when did iberia start making swords in the phillipines