Functional Knives

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by am.dk, Mar 10, 2007.

1. am.dk

am.dk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    i am wondering why this area of the forum is so silent,maby am one of few that actually collect and use knifes ,only making this post to make a conversation and share a little piece of my collection .I'm talking about high quality standard knifes in the lager size scale.

Attached Files:

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Re: functional knifes

I don't have the money these days to buy myself shiny toys like functional (or even movi replica) blades :(

3. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Re: functional knifes

That's a very nice piece. The kuhkri is one of my favorite designs.

Being the "fantasy" forum most here have little interest in the historic aspect of such things, hence the lack of participation the this area. (understandable since this isn't the focus of this site) You don't have to be able to afford them to show interest. When I was a poor highschool and college student I couldn't afford them either, but that didn't stop me from learning about them.

4. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    get a k-bar, the usmc one, it has perfect balance and you could shave with it

5. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
  6. am.dk

am.dk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    yes warlock lord i am familiar whit ka-bar knifes and thise knife have an outstanding strength ,thise knife is in the high performance quality .

but there still is a difference between a hand made and machine made knifes .

now the kuk i have shown on the picture is not just a great working tool, but also more like a hack and slash weapon ,made by folded steel .
    i have servile kuks in my collection and offcause i have tried one out ,its amassing what a kuk can handle ,and i asure you it cuts like an axe.:cool:

but the ka-bar is a great knife also ,its all depends on the interest and purpose you need the knife for.;)

7. Fergal

Fergal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya mean like these?

gave up leatherworking and started bladesmithing a few years ago....hi all!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  8. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    What's the blade made of on the top one?

9. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've just commissioned a friend of mine to make this knife for me:

http://www.davesknifeworld.com/productimages/m/mW_sniper.JPG

I firmly believe that it is the knife off of which the knife in Resident Evil 4 was based. I have a file with the blueprint if anyone wants it.

The retail of that specific knife is a whopping $400! Who pays that much for knives? For that kind of money, it had better be a perfectly balanced fighting knife that, if thrown, automatically adjusts its midair flight to accurately hit the target.

It would also be cool to have a knife that turned into a sword on a whim, but I'm afraid that that element of R.A. Salvatore's fantasy is just that, a fantasy.

10. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    That's what you pay for a handmade, custom piece. Knowing a bladesmith, the amount of work that goes into every knife isstaggering. The multiple skills, the materials, the time. Yeah they're expensive but on a per hour basis for the work involved, plus materials, it's actually quite cheap. But only from that point of view. $400 is still a ****load of money :D

11. BelovedRival

BelovedRival New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You collect? How many do you have?

12. aza-c

aza-c New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    id love to make knives,i have been reading up on it for months now just to make sure i have a clue.been busy makig sterling silver maille to help fund me. slow going. unfortunatley where i live in australia there are no people doing it so i have no access to anyones mind or knowledge. although i have started my first project. i was given an old bayonet blade and managed to have a mild steel tang welded to it.i will now make a "coke bottle" handle. just trying to decide on a shape and design. it wont be a don guild quality but i hope it will be better than a bit of hacksaw with electrical tape for a handle

13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Where in Oz are you? There are local makers who might be willing to help a newbie learn. Worked for a friend who wanted to get involved in smithing, she found someone to teach her and now she does it for a business. It's not easy to sell stuff in Australia, being a small market, but the web makes selling to the world possible.

http://www.darkwoodsforge.com/

I've just noticed she's updating her site. But try using google.com.au and look for smithing, blacksmith, bladesmith etc, maybe you can find someone who knows the right people to ask.

14. Fergal

Fergal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

oops sorry! been gone a while, that top one was made with 1095 steel, the guard was wrought iron, the handle was burled cherry and deer antler, inset into the pommel was a constantin roman bronze coin.

15. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Love me a good kuhkri. Unfortunately there's only one in my collection worth its steel right now, but it's a work horse and it can handle anything I need it for. I've effectively destroyed the useful part of the edge, but I don't need that particular piece to be sharp so much as tough, and it is most assuredly that.