functional Boromir's sword

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Grabsteinkraut, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe Kit should just start his own custom sword business, like Christian Fletcher. I dare say he's just as talented when it comes to designing weaponry, albeit with a substantial flair for the dramatic. But hey, that's never a bad thing. :)

2. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    You'd be surprised how light and well balanced such swords are. I have the Del Tin "Sword of War" 5143. http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt5143.htm

It's only a few inches shorter than Anduril, and it's mostly in the handle. I have no problem doing some quick manuvering with only one hand. Two hands I can match Aragorn's moves at Pelennor. And Narsil's pommel would make it much better balanced, so I would imagine a functional Anduril would be even easier to wield than this sword.

3. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now see, if we really wanted functional LOTR swords, what we'd need to do is form a raiding party and infiltrated WETA Workshops down in New Zealand. They must have hundreds of prop swords in storage somewhere, I doubt they'd miss a few... ;)

4. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Huh. I guess I stand corrected. And Skyanide, they could just make any fuctional swords limited if the demand isn't that high. Like the helms.

5. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    ^^The material of the helms do not have to be as high quality compared to a functional sword. As it is, UC had to subcontract the helm work out to Windlass, which IIRC is in India. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear on this one.

Get your Gimli helmet, put it on and have someone brain you with something. I can guarantee you that it won't protect you as well as a "functional" piece. Because it's not a functional piece.

The first idiot that impales themselves on a broken half-assed supposedly functional licensed sword is going to have a legal field-day.

6. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure that Kit gets a great deal of satisfaction from what he does, he gets to see some of his own imaginative designs come to fruition, and they end up in the hands of thousands of collectors.

7. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm....

8. Tenaka

Tenaka New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I do not see the purpose of a functional LOTR sword. It would be too much of a hassle to worry about keeping the blade all nice and neat, when you can get perfectly good stainless steel ones, and just hang them up in your room or house, and admire them for the beauty they were created for. The sound of having a truely function lord of the ring sword is cool, but what would you do with it? Also, how many of you have the time to keep the blade nice and clean, well oiled, ext...? Remember, they will rust if not taken care of properly. Also, imagin what you would do when your "functional" sword rusts? Those of you out there that can truely take care of such weapons, and can use them properly, all the more to you. Those of you who want one just because its made for fighting, think it over, imho. (sorry if it sounded kinda mean or instulting anyone)

9. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I understand we have New Zealand members here ...maybe they can orginize this raid

10. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow... some great replies...

Yes, the proper treatment for Boromir's sword would require better fittings all around and a sturdy blade. And given the licensing fees, you're probably right... it would be a lot more than, say, double the cost of the current swords. Probably triple.

The CF LotR swords are cool... I wish they were not limited. Fans of the movie swords with a little coin would have the best of both words (but in truth not a truly accurate replica). I probably would have bought the Ranger.

These discussions and recent considerations have really made me rethink my collecting habits. I've been trying to move towards more realistic/functional blades and less display pieces and apparently that is coming full circle. The remainder of the Kit Rae line and LotR lines will be the last display swords I buy... everything else will at LEAST be MRL/Windlass/Chen or higher quality.

11. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I stand corrected about the fittings...I thought they were sturdy enough. So is there no chance that we'll see a functional lotr sword from UC, or is there still a very slim chance? I have seen prices on functional swords at Museum Replicas that cost around $200 with blades by Windlass, so why wouldn't UC be able to profit from this considering that they used them before in the construction of the helms?

12. Grabsteinkraut

Grabsteinkraut Good friend of John R.R.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So what would you think about making a petition asking UC to make one (ore even better) some swords that where funcional. What I personnaly mean by functional is not a sword made with some elvish stuff that containt some magic force when worn by a noble hero. I just mean a sword that I can handle without hearing odd noises and with which I can knock things like pumpkins or wood without that it breaks like the idiot's cheap 45$ katana (the film is somewhere on the forum).

13. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have come to be of the mind that a functional LOTR sword doesn't make sense for collecting. I mean if I were to get a functional Boromir sword, there isn't a chance in hell that I am going to hit anything with it. So what does it matter if it is functional or not? I don't want to scratch it at all.

Having a functional sword collection is fine. Don't get me wrong. I am only saying that for me, I want my LOTR swords to stay in new condition.

14. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It occurred to me that new line might not go for the idea for the same reason that they put the kabosh on the idea of functional bows. If someone hurts, kills or otherwise maims themselves or someone else while using a sword that is functional, the potential for legal liability might not make it worth the profit.

I hope I am wrong though and we do see some functional swords.

15. gandalf23

gandalf23 The White Wizard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think having a functional sword would be great but maybe a little to expensive. I would like to see a functional and non functional one made.... Limited on the functional though..
    what is the point of having one functional sword out of the whole lot, all of the others are not. i do not see a point in spending that kind of money mostly for a wall hanger, what are you gonna tell friends: yeah that is fully functional and expensive but all it does is sit there on my wall.
    Then again why make it boromirs, i would much rather have it be aragorns ranger sword or glamdring...even Faramir's he played a larger role than boromir.

to each their own, so whatever UC decides to do i will go along with, i just will not spend that kind of money, i am having a hard enough time gathering money for the wizard staffs and aragorns knife...

16. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It might be a good idea for UC to do a test run of about 500 to see how well they do. If functional swords sell well and are profitable, then I am sure they will continue to produce them.

17. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sky, I've seen Windlass swords go for anywhere from 150-300$, and some Atrim swords for 350. I don't see what's so unreasonable about a UC limited ed. functional sword costing 400$.

18. Boromir Of Gondor

Boromir Of Gondor Aragorn was a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know that if Boromir's sword was made functional, i would buy one straight away! i would love to see my fave characters sword made real! PLEASE!!!!

19. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It's design. Atrim and MRL swords are very plain in comparison. Example, Boromir's sword with the hollow ground blade, twisted quillons, ribbed grip, and turned pommel is a LOT of hand done work. With detail drops you could get one to about $400, but I think people will feel they are inferior to the machined UC display swords. Not to mention MRL and Atrim don't have hollow ground blades.

Windlass swords are made at almost slave labor prices. And their quality control has been spotty at times. If they made the blades and supplied them rather than making everything themselves, then that might be a better choice. If at all possible I would love to see Albion get contracted to machine out functional blades for UC.

20. KingElessar

KingElessar King of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've gotta give Prop's to SKYANIDE and JUSTICE,

Its nice to have guys like you who know so much about swords on these boards sharing your knowledge with us,
    It helps me out big time!

Search tags for this page

battle ready boromir replica

boromirs sword realistic

fully functional elvish swords

functional movie swords forum

real boromirs sword