functional Boromir's sword

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Grabsteinkraut, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Grabsteinkraut

Grabsteinkraut Good friend of John R.R.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I've heard somewere in this forum that they will realease a funcional version of Boromir's Sword. That would be nice !!!

What have you heard about it ???

2. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Only rumors, unfortunately.

Please, United. Release a functional Boromir's sword. Make it limited. Heck, EXTREMELY limited.

I love the LotR swords, but I am saddened that they are not very "strong" swords. I'd like it if at least one sword was "real" - meaning that the blade is at least carbon steel, it has a proper full tang, and all other materials (hilt/guard/pommel) are real steel or iron, not an alloy. I'm not sure how the grip was constructed on Boromir's sword... probably leather over wood. Real wood! Not balsa or anything like that.

If it ran about $400, would we buy it? I know I would!

Pleeeease :)

3. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Besides all my blathering, here are some facts.

Kit himself has stated he wants to make a replica of Boromir's sword. It WILL be done, eventually.

Kit himself has also stated he'd love to do "functional" versions of the movie swords. I don't think he was specific in which ones he'd like to see, but Boromir's is a great choice, non?

So, perhaps, with a lot of persuation we can sway some decisions and get this made.

4. The_phatmasster

The_phatmasster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yeah it would be nice to see a functional sword in the mix. So what if it cost a little more. Id for sure buy it. Even if it wasnt boromirs.... Just as long as it was one of the cooler lookings ones, not some random gondorian swords, like a hero blade.

5. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If this turns into a battle ready Boromir's sword petition, count this as my signature.

7. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. Time Seller

Time Seller New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I just heard about before! :confused:

9. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice, but unfortunately not likely.

My Redeemer (#12 of 25) cost $635, (total with scabbard and belt, $1155) not including shipping, duty, exchange and tax. A LOTR sword will undoubtably cost more (than $400) because of the licensing fee that they pay to New Line Cinema, plus marketing costs and packaging.

Unfortunately, for those that still want a Redeemer, no UE will be coming out on this one.... ;)

Soon, it will be here (this month).....but not soon enough....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  10. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it went for about 400$, I'd buy one, no question.

11. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Swordsman said this a couple of days ago in this thread about 2/3rds down.

12. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love that Redeemer... it's a shame I couldn't grab one. It stands on its own apart from Boromir's sword (hilt is a little different, pommel is different, scabbard is unique).

As for Boromir's sword being functional... it doesn't have to be Christian Fletcher functional ;) We could do without the expensive scabbard and belt, certainly.

13. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All it needs is a carbon steel blade and a full length tang, imo. I won't mind if it has normal UC quality fittings.

14. KingElessar

KingElessar King of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You know,
    Here's an interesting idea....
    We would like at least One functional sword right?
    Why not the UnLimited ANDURIL!?
    Boromirs sword is cool and all, But what more wanted and famous sword than Anduril!
    I'm sure there would be NO complaints from anyone about 2 different Anduril's then.
    Just an Idea.....

15. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Because Anduril is freakin' HUGE, and unwieldly. I'd prefer a functional Glamdring, myself.

16. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A funtional strider sword would be nice, considering it gets the most screen time of all the swords in the movies.

17. GondorianRanger

GondorianRanger Lord of Valathil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Boromir's sword is coming out in July, but i expect it later than that. Also, i wouldn't like a functional Anduril, because everyone wants that sword. Aragorn is not my favorite, Boromir is. I would love his sword in functional form. Faramir's sword would be a good one too. My friend's Narsil sword broken, actually the silver part of the pummel broke off. Its because the tang isnt long enough. The inside of the handle is like this cheesy pot metal or something. If they change one thing in those sword, they need to make an actuall tang.

18. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    IMHO, the cast fittings would not be sturdy enough to be "functional". I guess the thing you want to ask yourself is "Do you want a funtional sword?" or "Do I want a decorative sword that has a carbon steel blade?" If it is the latter I think you'll find it a PITA to polish and maintain a carbon steel blade that you can't use....Don't be misled into believing that a carbon steel blade automatically makes a sword "functional"!!
    Like this? [​IMG] This is the Christian Fletcher Ranger King. Fully Functional. Truly Limited. Only 19 made.
    Like This? [​IMG]This is the Christian Fletcher Elven Sword. Fully Functional. Truly Limited. Only a few made. David Stokes has one (I believe this one.)
    Like This? [​IMG] This is the Christian Fletcher Ranger Sword. Fully Functional. Truly Limited. Only 50 made. I think David has one of these too.

If you know where to look, you can pretty much get whatever you want. But I'm not BSing you when I say that for the most part you will not get a "fully funtional" sword, especially one licensed by New Line, for $400 or less. Can't be done. And there aren't enough collectors out there that would be willing to fork out the coin to want enough of them to justify the expense.

I hate to be the voice of doom, but be realistic...PS Check out my gallery if you want to see more pics of the CF various swords.

http://gallery.fantasyvault.net/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5

19. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Make mine a functional Elven Warrior Sword. It's spear, sword, glaive, and halberd all in one! :D

And Anduril isn't necessarily unwieldy. It just takes some strength to wield. There are, after all, claymores even bigger than Anduril (and Anduril's size does qualify it as a claymore) that the highlanders used to great effect.

And lest we forget, a truly functional sword, built like the prop, would weigh less than UC's replica.

20. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Oh, it needs a lot more than that...

Such a sword like Boromir's is really impractical. It's too big, it has a weighty pommel and a hacking type blade, and the construction of the sword would truely impede the harmonics. However, it truely befits a man that is strong in heart and in wrist like Boromir was.

The movie sword was hollow ground, something they won't be able to do with the UC version for under $1000. Rather than being machined, a hollow ground blade needs to be hand done in order to do it properly, and the more human work done on the swords, the more they cost.

I'm not bashing the sword. i'm actually paying a custom swordsmith to make me one. It will be hollow ground and he will test it for harmonics before he ships it to me. Unfortunately UC doesn't have the resources to do all that. Perhaps if they got Windlass Steelcrafts to make the blades, they could get them pretty cheap. They already went to Windlass to help with the helms of Gimli and Elendil.

And if the fitting are the same as the current UC's, then the threaded tang of the sword would rub away at the zinc inside of the pommel, and eventually it'll get stripped. Then the pommel will no longer stay on.

Search tags for this page

battle ready boromir replica

boromirs sword realistic

fully functional elvish swords

functional movie swords forum

real boromirs sword