frustersted with UC

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Baker, May 24, 2009.

1. Baker

Baker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't it be fantastic if UC produced FULLY FUNCTIONAL lotr swords, instead of low quality wall hangers that are overweight, fragile, and unbalanced?!?
    (I'm just venting here) I mean honestly, when you're in the market for a sword, generally you would prefer something that wouldn't fall to pieces if you gave it a swing, so based on that, why on earth would UC choose to make replicas made out of cheap stainless steel, with stupid rat tail tangs? Even their museum collection line, which unfortunatley consists of only two swords, has pommels and crossguards made from zinc, which is brittal and impractical. Companies such as Albion, who know how to manufacture quality weapons should have bought the rights to reproduce the lotr swords, not United Cutlery, they seem notorious for taking as many 'shortcuts' as possible to save a couple bucks.
    I would be a very satisfied customer if I could get my hands on a fully functional ranger sword, but thanks to UC, who decided that customers prefer lower quality products, I own an extremly non-functional ranger sword which wobbles and rattles whenever I lightly swing it around. Oh well, nothing I can do except angrily rant on this forum.

Baker

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I thought all UC swords were intended to be display works not functional works - so it would make sense that they are not designed with real use in mind.

3. Belarius

Belarius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well the uc swords are only for display, but i have been swinging my sword a lot eversince i got it about two weeks ago and it hasn't started rattling or wobbling yet. so i think some light swinging would be the safest way to approach with these swords, because once they hit some object, the uc swords will start to wobble and fall apart.
    and i also agree with baker that the uc swords are pretty low quality if you closely inspect the them, but the overall appearance of my ranger sword is pretty awsome.
    and in my other thread i addressed the small defects of my sword if you want to take a look.

4. Baker

Baker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know that decoration is what the UC lotr swords were intended for, I just don't understand why UC wouldn't make more options for the real lotr or sword enthusiasts. Why not expand their museum collection line?
    It just bugs me, knowing that the sword hanging off my wall isn't any more 'real' than a picture of that sword. I just don't like knock-offs that's all. But I guess from a business perspective, UC made a more economical decision to mass produce wallhangers that look decent and that everyone can afford. It's just too bad that the die-hard sword fans ended up with fake weapons.
    Mind you, this is only my opinion, maybe I'm totally wrong about this, you tell me.

5. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Because the vast majority of people who want to buy something that looks cool and has a connection to a movie they adore/idolize/fantasize about/whatever, don't have the 2-3K it would take to make functional replicas. A business doesn't stay in business by pricing itself out of whatever market it belongs to.

6. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    I'd say that this is exactly right. The market for decorative pieces is larger than the functional one.

7. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I have this sword:

http://www.myarmoury.com/review_cf_red.html

...which basically a fully functional replica of Boromir's sword without the double fulller.

Cost: about $1200 USD including the scabbard and belt.

Mind you, it is only one of 25 produced (mine is #7) but nonetheless even at 2/3 of that price not many would be able to afford one let alone a collection of them. And by comparison, the cost and time to produce a functional sword is much more than a stainless steel replica. UC makes their money by making $50 profit on 25,000 swords than making $200 profit on 1500 swords

8. Baker

Baker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your comments, I understand what you guys are saying, price is definitely an issue, it's just too bad that when it comes to certified lotr weapons there aren't many options for 'functionability' - (not sure if thats a word) unless your fine with something that looks slightly off, for copyright reasons, although skyanide's boromir inspired sword looks really cool.

9. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    UC did release a "battle ready" carbon steel Glamdring and was it Sting as well? Very expensive, and I wouldn't personally use it in combat as it'd be too pretty :)

So they did, but they were slow to sell I believe. Turned out that even though there were truckloads of people calling for "real" versions to be made, those people weren't willing to open their wallets when it came to the crunch.

10. rough666

rough666 Head of the Dept. of Evil

British Columbia, 668 - Neighbor of the Beast
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have a pretty good UC LOTR collection. I owned The Museum Glamdring, but sold it recently. I still have the Museum Sting, though. I really enjoyed owning the MC Glammy, but it still seems like a display sword. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful and balanced sword, but I never wanted to handle the sword because of it's value. UC's LOTR collection are only meant to be screen accurate, and beautifully hung. A decoration. Darksword Armoury in Quebec, Canada make all kinds of fully-functional LOTR pieces and are fairly reasonably priced. All are high carbon blades, all real leather, with scabbards.

Check'em out:
    http://www.darksword-armory.com/swords.html

Sword Gallery Two has Anduril, Faramir's Sword, and Sam Gamgee's Sword.
    Sword Gallery Three you'll find Boromir's Sword.
    They made a very well reviewd Ranger Sword, but seem to have sold out.

I would really like Faramir's Sword in my collection.