Frodo -- Ring-bearer and the Three Hunters

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Miarènne, Jul 13, 2005.

?

Who would have made the 'better' ring-bearer?

1. Frodo Baggins

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Legolas Greenleaf, prince of the Silvan Elves

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Gimli, son of Gloin of the Lonely Mountain

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir of Isildur

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Miarènne

Miarènne Lady Evenstar,half-elven

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you think about Frodo baggins being the 'ring-bearer' and thus the 'main character' of the bokks and the films?
    Considering he's pure enought to carry the ring without being consumed by it before the time comes...
    But he was not the only one worthy of bearing the burden, was he? there were others who were called at Rivendell to decide the fate of the One Ring.
    Do you think Legolas, Aragorn or Gimli would have made better ring-bearers?

[​IMG]

2. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I thought Sam was the main character? In the books anyways. I always considered it his story.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  3. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I think the story is mainly about Frodo, that is, the part concentrated on the two adventurers. The story is, however often told from the perspective of Sam. Apparently, he added quite a bit to the manuscript once he received it from Frodo.

Sam did bear the ring briefly and used it on two seperate occasions, as he thought Frodo died, or later, taken prisoner. Thought it never came to his mind to keep the ring or bear it to the end, unless absolutely necessary.

Nevertheless, I think that Frodo is the most suitable ring bearer. Apparently, Hobbits have quite some resilience against the dark powers of the ring. Even though it proved insuffiecient in the end. Aragorn would have been corrupted by it's power long before frodo was, as he knew himself. I think the same goes for Legolas, though there would have been no reason for him to actually equip it. He wouldn't have disappeared. If he could resist the urge to put it on, he might be a good bearer, but once he would he would also discover it's secrets way sooner. After all, he's an elf.

Gimli would have been an interesting bearer. It has been reported that Dwarven are not so easily corruptable by the rings, since they seek no power, only precious metals, gems and other forms of wealth. I think Gimli's mind would have been generally occupied with that, rather then completing the quest. Nevertheless, there is no way telling what would have happened if he would have bore it.

4. Gil-Galad_360

Gil-Galad_360 Aran Noldorin

Mirkwood, keeping the woods free of Morgoth's mini
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Frodo, no doubt of it

5. Roheryn

Roheryn Druid of Paranor

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Frodo, I think that although the others might have made pretty good bearers, a hobbit was the best, considering they don't seek power, at all really...

6. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Frodo is the only choice from the list above. The elf, dwarf, and man could never hold the ring because they would all become easily corrupted by its evil and power. That's what makes the strength of a hobbit to endure the ring so amazing.

7. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    i dont like how frodo handle the situation, but he did just as good as any one else

8. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    that's a good question, I almost voted for Aragorn, but in the end I voted for Frodo.
    The others could'nt be so good ring bearers, because they all know, what power is like. They all would be too powerful to take the ring.
    Frodo is so inocent at the beginning of the journey like the others have perhaps never been. He doesn't know what power is.
    Legolas is a son of a king, he knows about power.
    Gimly grwe up near his king, he also knows about power
    And Aragorn, well he IS a king, he HAS power.
    So the ring would have ruled over them all and in the hands of a hobbit, sorry to say it like this, he couldn't make too much damage.
    Right?

9. Luther_the_Great

Luther_the_Great The Amazing

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Out of all of those listed only one of them was a hobbit and the Lord of the Rings makes clear that hobbits are best suited for the task of bearing the ring. They are hardy, have great courage and strength at need, and they are very reluctant faders. The rings of power consume men like candy, look what happened to the Nazgul so that leaves Aragorn out. As for legolas, he would have been spotted in morder in no time. Also, Legolas wouldn't have allowed himself to be led by Gollum and neither would Gimli, can you picture anyone but hobbits following that treacherous thing? If they had not followed Gollum it would have been disasterous because not even Legolas could have thrown the thing in the fire at the end of their own will, it was too powerful. Besides the book implies that it was the will of Eru that Frodo should have the ring, and we can't argue with him can we?

10. Luther_the_Great

Luther_the_Great The Amazing

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Although as a side note, I am sure every 14 year old girl wishes Orlando Bloom had more movie coverage and would rather him be the ring bearer

11. Kai

Kai Dark Jedi Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I voted Gimli, its not so much that he would be better, but Frodo was the Ring Bearer so there isn't much to say about that. From the rest I think Gimli, because I can't remember Gimli being tempted by the ring, he is the quickest to want to destroy it, and further more the use of magic within the dwarves seems to be lacking. Now on regards to his dwarven greed getting the better of him, I don't think that it had a huge pull on him, like it does Men. The ring was plain, nothing substantial or beautiful about it.

12. Rojoshom

Rojoshom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went w/ Frodo, as a previous poster said, Sam would have been better suited, but since Frodo had Sam w/ him, it's kinda the same thing...

13. Cyril

Cyril Knight of the Weave

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Some 23 year old men would have preferred that to Elijah Wood's constant rolling of his eyes back into his skull and heavy breathing...

14. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    A very old thread...

I'd vote Legolas ~ at the time of the War of the Rings he was likely to be c3000 years old, mature enough you'd think for the task. Given the elves ability to hide their rings safely when all others were falling under the sway of Sauron and Elrond & Galadriel's continued ability to use their rings of power I would have thought that Legolas would have been up to the task. Although the point made earlier about following Gollum (& thereby a path into Mordor) makes a lot of sense when balancing Frodo's suitability, the elves would most likely have known about Shelob anyway so that may well be irrelevant.

Final thought, remember Frodo did fail (or would have) without Sam & Gollum at the end...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009