Frodo or Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Foinikas, May 27, 2008.

?

Frodo or Harry Potter?

1. Frodo

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Harry Potter

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Which of the two do you like the most?

2. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    i'll say Frodo. I voted for Harry, but that was an accident, lol.

3. tearoutmythroat

tearoutmythroat Dr. Fuzzywhipple

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Although i am a fan of the potter series... potter cannot hold a candle to the bearer of the one ring.

Frodo is the hotness

4. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Frodo ftw. You ask Harry to take the One Ring and see what happens... >_<

5. Valkyrie Firestone

Valkyrie Firestone Wozard of Fairlyland

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    harry definitely. i watched 10 mins of LOTR and got bored. it doesn't seem as fun. was a shame cos i thought i'd like it :/ i love the mickey take books though- the soddit and bored of the rings. haha, they're awesome ^_^

6. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Frodo definitly. He's not all that whiny and 'everyone is against me' and I YELL BECAUSE I'M HARRY POTTER AND I'M DUMB. And def. not 'Oh my scar hurts- I'm important.'

AND frodo would never be dumb enough to kill Sirius.

7. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Can you imagine what would happen if Harry Potter was given the One Ring and in the end he wanted to keep it?He'd go straight to Sauron and try to fight him!Or go back to Minas Tirith and become king.Or just blow up the entire Middle-Earth with his "Supercalafratzilisticexpialadocius" stuff like always!

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Sigh...

Harry Potter would not understand the ring, as Frodo Baggins didn't. If anyone would have read Harry Potter, one would understand that Harry wouldn't want to bare or wear the Ring of Destiny. The only question is whether he would have volunteered to take it to Mordor, as Frodo did. If he would have undertaken the trip, I am quite sure, though, that Harry would have succomb to the Will of the Ring, due to his temper - and the mere fact that he is Human, not a Hobbit.

But than again, how are we going to compare a 52-year old to a adolescent?

If I would have to choose, I would choose Harry Potter, because I think that the character is better worked out. Frodo remains a bit in the mists for us, his feelings are not always obvious and I don't get the feeling of intimacy I get with Rowlings writing.

Now... please...

stop comparing the two!!!

I am really tired of the comparisons. The two stories share so little resemblance, other than that they are both set in a fantasy environment. I mean, what did you guys like better; Romeo and Juliet or Sense and Sensibility?

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Sense and Sensibility for me - I could never warm to Shakespears use of language.

As for characters Turambar sums it up really - though it should be noted that characterization is a fault often found in LotR and is not Tolkiens strongest point.
    Also film Frodo is missing much much depth to him :(

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Harry Potter, sorry but because of the movies, I can see Frodo only as Elijah Wood and he sucks... At least more than Daniel Radcliffe imo. I mean that kid was pretty perfect in the first films, but the later films weren't as good as the first ones, like the Philosopher's stone and Chamber of Secrets. Third one was pretty good too. But yeah using Elijah Wood as Frodo was a mistake.

11. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying that Daniel Radcliffe is a better actor than Elijah Wood?

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well they both suck, probably Elijah Wood is a better actor but then again he's older, more experienced.

13. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well, Elijah Wood is annoying, but he's not totally useless, he's an average actor.

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Elijah Wood is a good actor and I think he was good for the part of Frodo.That's how it turned out to be after all.

Maybe we all had a certain image of the characters in our minds that didn't match the actors when we saw them on the screen.But again,it's all in the script and how the director wants it to be.

For example like I've said many times before I think that the movies should have been a bit darker and more realistic just like Tolkien describes the story in the books.You know what I'm talking about:

No Rambo-Legolas thing,no Spider-man Legolas climbing on top of an Oliphaunt like a circus,never looking for arrows etc.No silly,goofy Gimli with 5 axes and definetely not so many useless talks about the "world of men,world of men,world of men" between Aragorn and other characters with silly "frustrated" looks.

And a bit "darker" looking Gandalf would be fine too,don't take me wrong,Ian McKellen was fantastic,but they depicted Gandalf as a bit too "light" or "happy" sometimes and a bit insecure or panicking easily early in the first film.

Now,for example who would win between Gandalf and that similar mage guy from the Harry Potter films?Did you notice they almost have the same voice too?

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well I agree with you there. I think that's the case with many movies and for me Star Wars is still the prime example. (why do I always bring it up) the bashing of the prequels began because everybody had their own vision of what the clone wars were as soon as they heard about it in the classics. And it didn't match with what you see in the prequels. Anyway I won't go in detail.

However I think when it comes to vision and the book, Lotr was certainly one of the best movies to do that. When I really think of a something that really captured the book or the comic for that matter, I think of Sin City or 300. Those movies do Frank Miller credit as they envisioned almost everything the same as in the comics, which you can hardly say about any other comic book movie.

When you talk about other fantasy movies which weren't that successful I think of the golden compass. I mean the depiction of the characters was very good in vision, but so much got cut out and changed that it's certainly not a loyal depiction of the book.

16. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    That's the problem.Most of the times producers and/or directors in Hollywood don't realize that being loyal to the book as much as possible is the key to success,because a certain book became famous because of what it is.When somebody takes a book and changes the story or its characters the way he wants because he thinks it's more "cool" or "commercial" that way...then you're making something else.

I could start talking about all the totally unnecessary and stupid changes in LOTR again but I won't.

17. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I hate both of those little twits...

18. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    That's because you know either of them will pwn you outright lol! :p

19. Hymera

Hymera Daydreamer

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have to say Harry Potter mainly because I could never get into LOTR. I have seen the first LOTR film and I just found Frodo to have an irritating quality to him, perhaps I should watch the other films before making a proper opinion. I also have tried reading the books but got rapidly bored, I should really try reading them again just to say I have

20. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Frodo is pretty annoying in the movies, but not so much in the books.