friends just don't get it sometimes

Discussion in 'Movies' started by mrtoxic, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah I was misty eyed when Frodo told Sam to go home. Sam isn't even near the top of my favourite character but Sean Astin's performance was wonderful.

2. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yes, RotK was a very emotinal film. I think both Tolkien and Peter Jackson made a brillant emotinonial story. And I agree Strider, I loved Gimli's entrance. As for favorite Characters Sam is third! (First Aragorn, and second Faramir). I still think Frodo is a whiny baby. But Merry and Pippin still add some comic relief. And for the heads, yeah the was sad, and just another example of how barbaric people were back then and how barbaric Orcs are. I mean, brave soilders fight to the death and instead of an honrible buryle they most likely get eatin and they are decapetated. I felt bad.

3. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    yeah i know what you mean when i first saw TTT someone burst out laughing when haldir first gets stabbed and kept laughing when he died!

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how anyone could laugh when Haldir dies. It didn't make me cry, but I was very sad.

Oh gosh just hearing you guys talk about when Frodo asked Sam to leave if making me teary. *grabs a tissue* The first time it didn't really so much because I was surpirsed at that, but the second time it really hit me hard.

5. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Poor Haldir *sniff* I liked him before and after meeting the actor and hearing about how he kept filming short scenes to replace his long scenes I appreciate Haldir even more. That was a cruel thing to add in. He's not supose to die.

Yah I feel horrible for the people who die and to think of what happens to them afterwards.

6. GondorianRanger

GondorianRanger Lord of Valathil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Stider, did you actually meet Craig Parker(Haldir)? If you did that's so cool! I think that Haldir's death was nessecary to the film, because it shows the risk that he elves took in helping the men. Also, haldir was never mentioned after the fellowship. I think that PJ took it to his advantage, because no one really dies in TTT, in exception to Hama. I do mourn the death of haldir and he will be remembered*sigh* I also think that it doesn't pay any respect for someone to laugh in the middle of a death scene. Oh well, no use dwelling on it.

7. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    uhhhhhhhh, i just kinda chuckled softly to myself when i saw gandalfs face when he was laughing and frodo was laughing, you have to admit his face was quite humerous.

8. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah I did! Bruce Hopkins and Mark Ferguson were there too.

I see why PJ killed Haldir, but I can still be mad about it ;)

9. GondorianRanger

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that much is true strider. You can, thats why oppinions are so important on forums. I remember being extremely furious on the part when haldir died. In fact i was so mad that i was near ready to jump into the movie screen and take vengence on haldir's death by taking on a few of the orcs myself. But i was mad at the fact that he died, not because of PJ's decison. I recall myself saying something like, "if only i was there, i could have saved haldir." It's kinda nerdy, but i don't care, thats who i am.

10. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well, I also see how Haldir gor nailed. Actually I think PJ was pretty intelligent to add that. The Two Towers didn't have enough emotion.

11. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I still am a bit confused with some of the changes PJ made with The Two Towers. But I think a lot of them added a bigger scale to the film.

12. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    As for the part when Frodo told Sam that he did not need him anymore, that was really sad.

13. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    LoL you know the same thing went through my mind. Not jumping into the movie (that would have been neat you should have tried!) but how I could have saved him if I had been there. And being female it was a pretty tricky picture I had to paint.

14. havelockploz

havelockploz With a preliminary 'P'

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was really sad when faramir was talking to denethor and was rejected and theoden's death. The only time I laughed because I thought it was silly was when elrond was talking about anduril to aragorn. His face... :p

15. The Archangel

The Archangel Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hehehe yeah that was a bit weak on elrond's part there. meh, some may complain about the short-fat-bloke-used-for-comic-relief thing, but im not. hehehe we dwarves are natural sprinters hehehe

16. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree Gimli was funny but sometimes his being used as a comic relief went a bit far though.

17. GondorianRanger

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i sort of agree with you on that one. but it didn't bother me that much. dwarves are stubborn and prideful, they used that to add humor to the movies. It takes the tension out for a moment. Because you have to admit, if there isn't at least a little bit of an tension breaker, the battle gets too intense.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  18. Aranel

Aranel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this goes back to people laughing at the most serious times in the movie. i went and saw ROTK last weekend and there was the scene where Gandalf and Pippin are in Minas Tirith and the orcs are breaking in, and Gandalf is telling Pippin about death, I was crying at this point because i found it touching. But the man sitting behing me was laughing. Laughing! I was shocked that he was sitting there cracking up at this highly emotional scene.

P. S. sorry for my scary spelling

19. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah as I said some of his scenes were ok. But others were too much. Like his comment about the axe being embedded in his nervous system.

20. GondorianRanger

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i guess that is why they put it in the EE and not the theatrical version. who knows? But i kinda liked that part, and can see where you are coming from though.