Forgotten Realms vs Lord of the Rings vs Warhammer

Discussion in 'Polls' started by azuren82, Oct 4, 2007.

?

Your fave out of the three...

1. Lord of the Rings

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Forgotten Realms

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Warhammer

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Can I say all three rox?

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Tolkien names aren't all that original either. Thei variations of already established things.

The Warcraft world looks nothing like the Tolkien one lol

Btw, you do realise that Warcraft is not even in the selection, so any points concerning it are completely invalid lawl

2. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Warcraft world lacks historical information and overall info about the world...
    I vote all 3 rox :), can't really decide which one is the best.

3. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say each world looks the same with Tolkien's ffs!I said it was inspired and influenced by Tolkien's Middle-Earth!

4. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yea...how so?

5. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Scroll up and read what I said earlier!

6. comfan

comfan New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I voted Forgotten Realms.
    Don't know anything about Warhammer and as I've said before I don't care for Tolkien's stuff at all.

7. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Slave of Duty/Son of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Blasphemy!

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I've already countered those points and rendered them useless.

9. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Ok big guy if you can't see that the Warhammer,Warcraft and the Forgotten Realms worlds were initially inspired and influenced by Tolkien's worksthen I can't tell you anything else.I find it to be too obvious,you don' think it's obvious because you keep saying that they are "different worlds than Middle-Earth",I never said they are the same with Middle-Earth I only said that were inspired by Middle-Earth and Tolkien's works and added a lot of other stuff.

10. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Two very interesting articles that I just found:

1.From Wikipedia

The enormous popularity of Tolkien's epic saga greatly expanded the demand for fantasy fiction. Largely thanks to The Lord of the Rings, the genre flowered throughout the 1960s. Many other books in a broadly similar vein were published, including the Earthsea books of Ursula K. Le Guin, The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist, The Belgariad by David Eddings, The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks, the Thomas Covenant novels of Stephen R. Donaldson; the "Wheel of Time" books of Robert Jordan, and, in the case of the Gormenghast books by Mervyn Peake and The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison, rediscovered.

It also strongly influenced the role playing game industry which achieved popularity in the 1970s with Dungeons & Dragons, a game which features many races found in The Lord of the Rings, most notably halflings (another term for hobbits), elves, dwarves, half-elves, orcs, and dragons. However, Gary Gygax, lead designer of the game, maintains that he was influenced very little by The Lord of the Rings, stating that he included these elements as a marketing move to draw on the popularity the work enjoyed at the time he was developing the game.[57] The Lord of the Rings is also suspected to have influenced the creation of Magic: The Gathering as well as various video games, including Final Fantasy IV, Ultima, Betrayal at Krondor, Baldur's Gate, EverQuest, The Elder Scrolls, RuneScape, Neverwinter Nights, and the Warcraft series,[58] as well as, quite naturally, video games set in Middle-earth itself.

As in all artistic fields, a great many lesser derivatives of the more prominent works appeared. The term "Tolkienesque" is used in the genre to refer to the oft-used and abused storyline of The Lord of the Rings: a group of adventurers embarking on a quest to save a magical fantasy world from the armies of an evil dark lord, and is a testament to how much the popularity of these books has increased, since many critics initially decried it as being "Wagner for children" (a reference to Der Ring des Nibelungen) — an especially interesting commentary in light of a possible interpretation of the books as a Christian response to Wagner.[59] The book also helped popularize several spellings concerning elves and dwarves (i.e. using -ves instead of -fs for plural forms).

The work has also had an influence upon such science fiction authors as Arthur C. Clarke. In fact, Clarke makes a reference to Mount Doom in his work 2010: Odyssey Two.[60] Tolkien also influenced George Lucas' Star Wars films.[61]

2.From Wowwikki

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was originally supposed to be a Warhammer game.For one reason or another, the deal was broken off with the Games Workshop and the game was given a new storyline and a new universe.The orcs in Warcraft were originally modeled after the Orcs of Warhammer, and it is because of this reason they share a striking similarity.

11. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You do realise Wiki articles can be written by anyone in the world? There's too much doubt for it to be used as definitive information.

But even in the article of yours it says that the D&D dude says his creations were influenced by Tolkien very little. On top of that the word "suspected" is used to describe it's influence on other games.

The only thing that those articles seem to underly is that Tolkien gave direction to Fantasy.

I never said that you said they were the same as Middle-Earth. Nor have you given any real information as to why they were inspired by them. All the information you have given is speculative interpretation.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well at least other people agree with me that Tolkien's works were the inspiration for the creation of these worlds.Don't give me that "speculations" stuff,it's damn obvious WHERE THEY GOT THEIR INSPIRATION and influences from!I mean COME ON man...come on!Orcs and goblins,elves,greenskins,halflings,dwarves,trolls,ogres,elven languages and all that stuff....play Warhammer,play Warcraft,play Forgotten Realms games and it's just obvious!

Wtf do you want me to go bring you the guys who made all that to tell you "oh yes I was reading LOTR and then I had the idea of introducing an orcish race in the game but with a few additions like this and this and this.."?

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yea because Tolkien invented these creatures instead of them having already existed in folklore <_<

It's a bit simplisitic to think "OMG Orcs and Goblins and Elves! Yes that must be Tolkien right there".

I do play Warhammer, Warcraft and FR games. I know there are multiple creatures that coincide. So what? Tolkien took his creatures from folklore, why can't these other people?

Tolkien mainly gave direction as to how fantasy stereotypes behave, group off and stuff like that. Evne then it wasn't all that much from previous myth.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but before Tolkien elves,dwarves,goblins,trolls,ogres and other creatures were very different in the various fantasy folklore and FR,Warhammer and Warcraft(not to mention other worlds)have these creatures modelled after Tolkien's idea of elves,dwarves,goblins etc.

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Again I agree with Meterorain...it's not because a story has creatures from lotr that is inspired by lotr...Most creatures in lotr weren't invented by Tolkien...Of course he did invent creatures to make his story more original and he added a lot of detail to it which makes lotr better, but all these creatures can be found in other stories and it's not because of the inspiration Tolkien gave to other wroters...of course he inspired other writers but not all of them...I think warcraft has also a lot creatures the same as with lotr but they have their own detail to it which gives it it's own originality...

16. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Hey you!Go back to Star Wars!Kakashi's waiting for you!Loooool!:pPPP

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well if Kak is waiting for me there...I'll leave it lol...Don't want him on my back again lol...J/K

I have my interest in Star Wars, but also in other things Foin...such as Greek Mythology...I told you before I think that me and Padmé have made about 5 stories about Achilles. And now we are busy making an rpg forum that involves Greek Mythology.

18. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    5 stories about Achilleas?Then here's a pic of him for you!:p

[​IMG]

19. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Actually here's a picture I made of Achilles with photoshop cause he disguises himself to join the battle of 300...don't ask me how he got there...
    [​IMG]
    You can read more about it in the art house...fictional characters created with photoshop

20. Sorillon

Sorillon Thousandth Post Thief

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -0
    I've heard that Warcraft was actually heavily inspired by Warhammer.

Search tags for this page
forgotten realms vs middle earth
forgotten tealms vs tolkien
the very first fantasy world of orcs humans etc
tolkien books warhammer
warghammer fantasy singapore fan site
warhammer fantasy singapore fan site
warhammer fantasy vs forgotten realms

warhammer fantasy vs lord of the ring