Forge

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Halsyon of Cyrodiil, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Halsyon of Cyrodiil

Halsyon of Cyrodiil Master of The Realms

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have any information on actual forges? From a construction standpoint, I'd like some ideas about what I'd need to build one (dimensions, costs, general info). Any help would be appreciated (other than lmgtfy).

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Send A a PM to SteelPounder

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Well, it depends on your budget (high or low), how much space you have (big house and backyard or tiny apartment) and what tools you currently have access to.

An old Weber-style barbecue (you know the sphere style) filled with charcoal makes a good forge. To heat your steel you just need any containing vessel that can be filled with a fuel source like charcoal, that is big enough to have a fire burning in the middle without destroying/melting the outer edges. I've seen old laundry basins used as well.

You can run a vacuum (in reverse obviously) up through the bottom or side of the laundry basin or bbq to blow air through your coals as an automated bellows.

Go to Youtube and search for "forge vacuum" and you will find several videos of people making their own forges from bricks, laundry basins, steel drums - anything and everything. Barbecue charcoal from a hardware store as fuel too.

If you want to make a forge fuelled by gas bottles, again, search Youtube for "Gas Forge" and there are several videos of home made and shop bought gas forges. The gas ones can be really small if you're only doing smaller projects like knives and not full sized swords.

I love Youtube so damn much :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My first forge was a car brake drum mounted on a small metal table made of square tube. I had an old fertilizer blower for the air. An old leaf blower with a lamp dimmer switch works well too. This is what I use on my forge now. lamp dimmer extension cord cost me 8$ at lowes. A car brake drum and metal tubing are easy to find at a scrap yard

5. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    James May's Man's Lab (BBC) showed how to make a small one yourself;
    - metal bucket
    - earth and sand and clay
    - a metal tube
    - a metal-cutter
    - a hair-dryer

He simply filled the bucket with as hard-pached as possible mixture of earth/sand/clay, then used the pipe to make a tube in it down to the bottom. He then made a hole in the side to fit the pipe in, and welded it in place. He then basically put fuel in the bottom of the bucket, and stuck a hair-dryer into the pipe, using twisted cardboard to make it fit. The flame was so hot that he could melt the metal over it as you normally would.

6. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What do you want to forge with it?