For those searcing for original creatures and maybe a bit of inspiration

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Lanifer, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Lanifer

Lanifer Fantasy obsessed

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

So, a few weeks ago when researching about the Ellerwomen --they are part of the fair folk of Scandinavia but aren't as well known as other members of the Fae, like gnomes and hobgoblins-- I stumbled onto this website Mythical Beasts | Belgium | Fantastic Creatures Catalogue

Anyhow, to make the story short, this website was the only one I found with a decent amount of information on the elusive aforementioned beings, but also on many other mythological creatures and fantastic beast beyond the most commonly known. Since googling things can be kind of an exhausting and time consuming endeavor, I decided to share the link here, hoping it can help those of you searching for a new beast to include in your WIP or simply entertain those who like to read about weird creatures.

Enjoy

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jess Leigh

Jess Leigh Serial Scrawler

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Enjoyed! Thanks for thinking to share it. Ellerwomen are interesting, I'd never heard of them before your post.

There's a pademelon outside my window at the moment but I'd swap it for almost anything from the Fantasy Creatures Catalogue. As long as it didn't get in the house.

3. Lanifer

Lanifer Fantasy obsessed

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad you did... and I went back today I noticed the home page is dedicated to winter creatures, that's new.

By the way that pademelon is one cute little fella.

4. Jess Leigh

Jess Leigh Serial Scrawler

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that too, it's now the catalogue of the creatures I don't have and the season I'm not in. Let me know if you ever acquire the magical powers to make it happen and I'll swap you all the pademelons I can find for an endless winter outside one of my windows.

Are you researching Ellerwomen for writing reasons, general interest or studies?

5. Lanifer

Lanifer Fantasy obsessed

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jess,

Long story short, my sister in law is a Jesus freak (her words, not mine) and I gave my niece, who is eleven, a book about about fairies. Her mother started reading it to see if there was not a bad influence in there (she tolerates fairies and a few other fantastic creatures but thinks that Harry Potter and books like those encourage sorcery so those are forbidden in her house), and there was a tiny mention to the Ellerwomen, as the book says something about one of the protagonist fairies having a hard time at the Fairy Dusts Offices because the responsible is a very short-temper Ellerwoman. So I had to research the Ellerwomen to convince my sister in law to let me niece finish her book.
    Ultimately, I became quite interested in those ladies and I'm thinking about including them in one of my short stories.
    Now, about weather, we had been having some really horrendous winter storms, not the snow loaded ones but just slush, and I would happily trade you some summer days for some of this weather... just let me know.