For knowers of the languages in LotR

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by The Man from Niefldarth, Jan 3, 2005.

1. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    *bows* Thank you

2. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I hope i've helped you!

Note that there's a freeware somewhere on the net that translates a text in tengwar runes, automatically. but I don't know where I saw it.

3. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Oh man I need to find this page you speak of. If anyone could find it, it would be a big help cause my sister and I have been looking to find webpages that teach you how to pronounce them and right them in the elven alphabet. Thanks it HAS been a great help.

4. The Man from Niefldarth

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    http://web.comhem.se/~u86023928/at/tengscribe.htm

By the way, it doesn't translate texts from english to quenya... It only write it in tengwar alphabet using the correct grammar... and you need to download a tengwar font...

for sindarin, I prefer tengwar annatar. There is also tengwar cursive that is good, but it's to small for me.

for quenya, there is the tengwar quenya font(duh)

Search them on google, then download them. they are free. if you don't download a tengwar font, The only thing that will result from the freeware is a messy mass of symbols.

I hope I helped you! :)

5. defyitall

defyitall Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have all the tolkein fonts i could find on the web converted to both Mac and PC if anyone wants them I could host them for download for a short time.

6. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Just to clear a few things up. The Valar spoke their own tongue, Valarin, but after the Eldar arrived, they made their own language, Quenya (known as High-Elven) and the Valar conversed with them in that tongue. Sindarin, however, was made by the Elves of Beleriand, the Sindar (Grey-Elves). So, the language of nobles would be considered Quenya, hope that helps.

7. defyitall

defyitall Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    In a way, I guess you could say it was spoken by nobles. It was spoken by the Noldorin Elves that lived in Valinor with the Valar. The Sindar were the Elves that remained behind in Beleriand and they had their own language. When the Noldorin exiles arrived in Beleriand, King Thingol (the king of the Sindar) made a decree that no one shall speak the tongue of the Noldor. So from then on all Elves in Middle Earth spoke Sindarin, save high members of the Noldor when the were in council. It lived in in song and legend with all Elves but Sindarin became the main spoken tongue. AND is the Elvish spoken mostly in the movies.

8. The Man from Niefldarth

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    thank you for your pertinent answer, defy. :)

9. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ~ dusts of thread ~

I would be hugely appreciative if you (or anybody else, for that matter) could direct me to some good, reliable Tengwar fonts for Mac. I'm running Leopard, and have installed a font inspired by Dan Smith's original programming, which we know to be accurate (Dan Smith + Tengwar = Awesome)

However, it doesn't seem to appear in Word even though I've installed it to my Font Book (never installed a font on a Mac before though, so who knows if I've got that right).

Also, I've managed to get it working in Text Editor instead, but the tehta don't appear as they should. For example: I've tried writing out my daughter's name, "Lucy". However, the tehta for "u" is appearing over the tengwa Lambe instead of over the long vowel carrier as it should. The same is true for the tehta for "e"...it appears over the long vowel carrier (the one which should actually be carrying the "u"), but it should be appearing over Silme.

I can sort of flub through it and get orientation more or less correct, if I add extra spaces...but it ends up making the word look like two words instead of one.

Help!