Football

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Crusader, Aug 19, 2003.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The point of pads is not so much the short term injuries like bruises or broken bones (although there is some benefit there) but to prevent lifelong injuries like crippled football players or punch drunk boxers. A head to head impact is still potentially fatal but it is much less likely with a helmet.

Rugby is awesome to watch but I cant fault anyone who wants some safeguards from a 300lb linebacker, fast or not.

2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    too true, although no one aims for a head to head impact in rugby, and I hope not in american football. In rugby tackles are usually just the force of your shouldes and arms into the persons midriff to take them down, and I assume its the same for american football. Of course if does vary depending on the situation.

3. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Some over agressive players would (and sometimes still do) spear (launching forward head first to tackle) and go for head to head tackles. Mostly the latter is done by tackling the quarterback (who normally stands upright) at the shoulders, smacking the two helmets. The intent is to cause disorientation and make the quarterback sit down for a few plays but when Troy Aikman got his 5th or 6th concussion from it, they started fining people for it. Some players are just stupid. I know that in baseball, catchers and 2nd basemen were targets for cleats by dirty players. Speaking of baseball, a lot of those guys wear shin pads to protect from deflected balls.

There is an argument for pads causing injuries. In the NFL the facemask is a major concern for neck and spinal cord injuries (people tackling by grabbing the facemask), in boxing before there were gloves people would get break their hands long before they could cause brain trauma, and dont forget that seat belts and air bags have caused some deaths. A lot of it has to be psychological.

4. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I know I got a little off topic myself but we need to stay on topic or the thread is gonna be closed!

5. Loki the Demon

Loki the Demon "Belgium, Man!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    with pads in american footbal and stuff, as rough as rugby is, the tackles in gridiron (am. footy) can be a lot rougher. It woudn't be possible to do a lot of the tackles- or get hit by a lot of the 'tackles' in gridiron and not have your neck snapped. In rugby league the rule is pretty much tackle below the shoulders. (no head high). I'm not sure about the rules of union, (with all the rucks and malls and stuff, and getting stomped on) but i'd say it's pretty similar). I don't think there's any rules against tackling head high or anything like that in gridiron- which is the reason for the pads. Pads also give you more conficence to go charging into people. I'm pretty sure even the toughest rugby player hesitates before running head long into a wall of guys.
    Plus i know blokes in australia who play gridiron, and they get just as badly injured as any rugby player. possibly even more so.

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, and for hockey the same. What you (Americans) call hockey is "icehockey" where I come from, where fieldhockey is the regular sport. Yet again, introduction of pads and other body protection, whereas fieldhockey only utilises such for keepers. Undoubtably, fieldhockey came first (as seen during Olympic Games, at the moment) and Americans took it, changed it and made it their own.

Now, I can understand that Americans have their own way with doing things uch as sports, but what I can't understand is why they can't respect that some names for sports are already taken. It's a sense of history. Maybe it's the fact that the US of A is missing a deep hystory of it's own...

Oh, and for the record: Football is the game with 22 players, where it is not allowed to use your hands unless you are goalkeeper. Here's another good reason; Football is the most played game worldwide (!) American football is played by... Americans. Hence the name. Come on, it doesn't even have the slightest to do with Football. Do us (the rest of the world) for once a favor and come up with a different name. Handball and Rugby are already taken.

7. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Canadians created 'icehockey'. ;) After it gained success here, it travelled south.

8. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    turumbar, the hockey thing is true over here, but its not a widely popular game (but then again neither is ice hockey). Hockey is pretty brutal when it comes down too it aswell, seeing as how the players have sticks to hit eachother with. However for icehocky, I'm sure the pads are mainly there because its on ice and normal injuries can be made very serious when theres a lot of slipping and the surface under you can crack your skull open.

9. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    well football is played with 22 players and there is a Canadian Football League and an NFL Europe that limits american players to two per team. So thats not strictly true.

10. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the basic joke around here is that if a player isn't good enough to get picked in the NFL draft, he moves to Canada to play.

It actually helps though, we have no above average players because if any player becomes super good the NFL takes them back.

11. DarkElv22-JJ

DarkElv22-JJ Your opponent

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    football is my life.......no football = me not living fully

12. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Football is pretty much it's own religion in England, I mean when the euro or world cup is on everyhous has the England flag out.