Football

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Crusader, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    very true, rugby is a game that if your nor very good at it you can get killed.

2. Lady Swartt Sixclaw

Lady Swartt Sixclaw New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When i think of football, I think of a bunch of people moving a ball with their FEET and attempting to get it into a goal. Although I'm American, what we call football seems very strange to me, both name and game.

3. Loki the Demon

Loki the Demon "Belgium, Man!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm from Australia, and we have 4 codes of footbal we play here. AND we call european footbal 'soccer' as well. I wonder who came up with that name? The most popular sports in AUstralia during the footy season are RUgby League and AFL (Australian Football Rules- which unlike League, Union and American Football (or Gridiron, as we call it for some reason) is much more of a kicking game,, so probably does deserve the name of football) Soccer is the least popular sport- in terms of fans and crowds and stuff, but is the sport with the most junior players!
    All types of football have their strong points and weak points as games, i guess. I s'pose it just comes down to what is most popular with the public that gets the simplest nae of 'football.
    Which leads me to my point- Why, in countries like America and AUstralia and New Zealand, which were colonised by Europeans, has soccer (or football, if you will) not been as popular as the rougher sports of american football and rugby and AFL?
    Maybe we're just a lot tougher!!!!
    Whooo, go the colonies

4. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Of course What the americans (and the aussies) call soccer deserves the name football!! I mean American football bears NO resemblance to Euro football!

5. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Tougher? The english invented rugby, which is very popular over here, the reason football is the bigger thing over here is because its been around for centuries and its a game everyone enjoys, whether your small, big, fat, thin etc. Rugby is more for hardened men who enjoy breaking other peoples bones for fun, and by sheer proportion of the population, theres less that play it. I still find it funny that american football involves so much padding (you call that tough?). I played rugby at school when i was about twelve and in every game there was blood somewhere, I remeber in a practice tackle i put a gash in my friends shin with the studs on my bood, he laughed.

6. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I remember in scotland I saw some teens playing rugby one of them had their ear all torn up and another had their tooth knocked out and the one who had their tooth knocked out called the bloody ear guy a "wee smasher" whatever that means

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    well in scotland wee means small, but i dont know what they meant by wee smasher.

8. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    He was rather short. maybe 'wee smasher" means Small tough guy? I dont understand why american football has so much protection! I mean whats wrong with gettin a little rugh?

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yeah, whats the point in smashing into somebody when they dont break something or bleed somehwere? wasted effot with pads I'd say.

And youre probably right about the wee smasher thing.

10. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Exactly!! I mean its human nature to watch and participate in violent events! Look at the greeks and romans! "uh-oh i might break my arm timeto wear 30 pounds of padding!!!"

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yeah i know, I did "Classical civilisation" as a subject a year or two ago and did the original olympic games. Wrestling where only eye gouging and biting were breaking rules must be tough.

12. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    or greek boxing where players stuck spikes in their gloves! (imagines this) ah the glory of greece:rolleyes:

13. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Pads are degrading, but when you got a multi-million dollar contract with the NFL, getting injured wouldn't be the best thing for your career.

14. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Or for the sanity of the guy who paid you millions only to see you snap your leg like a twig and ride the bench for the season.

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Whats the point in paying millions of dollars for a guy who's gonna get his leg snapped so easily? Violence breeds tougher competitors and if your going to snap a leg, you want to invest those millions of dollars into someone who is either too fast or too strong to go down so easily.

16. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Even if you get this 'tougher' competitor, he can still get hurt. And when your hurt, your performance as a player lessens, no matter how good you are. Here's an example: You buy a brand new Hummer, the ultimate offroading vehicle. It's worth far more than any average vehicle. Do you insure it? Of course. Even though it's constructed to endure far more than the average type SUV, you want to protect your investment in case something does actually happen to it.

Don't get me wrong, I think if your not playing for millions of dollars wearing pads is a waste of time. But I can see why it's apart of the game at the NFL level.

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    All I'm saying is that its a waste of money paying that much (in all professional sports ridiculous amounts are played for players so its not just that) for someone who cant take a hit. And from what I've seen of american football padding, a leg snapping injury is gonna happen anyway, it just knee pads unless I'm wrong. Crippling injuries (the ones that harm your investment) are going to happen one way or another, theres little I can see the pads doing but preventing minor injuries, like cuts and scrapes etc.

If you wanns fork out a load of cash for a high quality SUV, you spend it on a hummer which can take driving through a canyon, you dont spend it on a city car which will crash after taking one trip. Protecting an investment is fine and dandy, but an investment that protects itself is worth a lot more.

18. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Interesting viewpoint, I can see where your coming from. I also find it a waste of good money in paying so much to professional athletes in all major sports.

The reason why the players are hired is because they are skilled in getting you points. They are the most talented of the general population and they possess the skills that will help your team win.
    ex: How accurate your quarterback can throw the football under pressure of being tackled.
    How tough a player is does play a role, but only a minor one. It is the actual skills you possess in playing your position that matter in American Football.

So you get two choices: get a player who is tough, or get a player who is good at his position. And some times you may get players who are both, but that is probably more rare. I don't know about you, but if I can get a guy who can catch the ball in mid air and outrun his opponents to the endzone a good portion of the time, I'd rather take him than a guy who can handle hard tackles without pads on, but probably isn't that gifted in the skills that are most essential to winning the game.

As for the leg padding, I must agree, there isn't alot for that. But that's mainly because it would interfere with movement. But the pads worn don't protect just against minor injuries, there are other major injuries that are reduced because of pads. Plus, the minor injuries, although not long term, still can affect the player's game.

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    tough rugby players ignore minor injuries. Like i said before, when i gashed my friends shin open in a practice tackle, he laughed.

Tough is tough, its not just taking a tackle well, tough in itself is a skill, meaning it takes more to knock the guy down and so he can probably get to the end without being knocked over instead of outrunning like others. Tough and skill arent as rare together as you would think, its stereotyping to say a brick-shithouse (slang for really tough guy with big muscles) cant throw or catch or think ahead of the game. Rugby is a game of skill just like american football, but in rugby, you play your skill against players who will knock you into the mud if you dont play well. meaning you need to be much more careful. Plus its a game of stregths, you pummel your enemy as much as you can and you weaken their resolve. the minor injuries that may interfere in the play of the game are a part of the game as much as any other. A man wiht all muscles and no brians is useless in the game.

I guess this whole pads issue can be resolved down to the differences between the sports, even though they are quite similar in rules. Rugby is more violent and hazardous to your health etc. What adds to that is you dont really have as many long throwing plays like in americna football, most of it is close passes of underarm throws, forcing you to be very careful where you throw that ball and so that you cant just discard it across the field to avoid the aim of the opposing team. etc.

20. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    True enough. I can agree to that, though I have never played Rugby and have only watched it maybe a total of 10 times on the television. So my understanding of the rules is limited.

I guess both sports have their pro's and con's, but I think pads are pretty much ingrained into the American Football now. But like I said before, I think it's dumb to use pads when just playing with your buddies. Me and my friends never do.

But I'd like to give Rugby a go sometime. It sounds like a sport me and my friends would love.:D