Football

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Crusader, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You say no pads like thats supposed to make it tougher or somthing.... I have played both in Europe and football is the tougher of the two!!! ask any rugby player who said otherwise then went an tried american football they quickly changed thier minds at least the ones who came and tried where I played american football in france.. Then look at (I wont spell his name right)
    Johnathon Lomau one of rugbys greatest was offerd millions if he would come play for the KC Chiefs, then got cut first round cause he couldn't hack it!!!!
    Now don't get me wrong I am not a big American football fan and could careless what it's called but how ignorant is it to start this saying na! na! na! na! we called it football first!!! like little grade school kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The reason why American football is called football, is because each game begins with a kickoff. Changes of possession occur with a kick or punt, unless taken away by defense. After every score, the ball is kicked for an extra point. When a touchdown is not happening, the team can attempt a score with a kick.

In American history, our version of football was popularized and adopted by the American culture way before soccer/futbol was. So we didn't steal the name, heck we don't even spell it the same way, and when we refer to soccer in Spanish, we don't make a big deal of it being called futbol, but rather we refer to our version as futbol de Americana?(sp) thus making a clear distinct classification as to not insult a respected cultural sport we like to call soccer.

So if people are going to get annoyed by similarities in a name...well that's just sad. No offense to anybody, but just think about it. I don't see any worldwide confusion occurring, or a National Council for Changing the Name of American Football being formed....although to some people this could be a great idea...

Oh well, I love both sports and played them both for my high school, and I honestly could care less about what their names were because I loved them that dang much.

3. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Blah, I dont like either kind of football(futbol) You really want a good sport, go watch hockey! :D

4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I personally am a huge fan of football (american) I agree though, the name make little sense. However, I'll throw this in, when the game was started it involved alot more kicking that it does today.

5. Kinslayer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now some one knows what there talking about!!!!!!

6. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Gotta love a sport where people are given sticks and allowed to hit each other. :D

7. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I play hockey and love the sport, but if you want to play a rough game, try lacrosse....Canada's real national sport.

8. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I played polocrosse once..like lacrosse on horseback...now THAT was fun :D

9. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'd hate to see a horse's reaction getting clobbered with an india-rubber ball. Sounds suicidal to me.

10. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we used a different kind of ball...I don't remember...but the horses have to be pretty bomb proof to play in the first place anyway.

11. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Lacrosse uses an india rubber ball that's as hard as a rock and weighs about a third of a pound (150g). It bounces good -- off the ground, your helmet, your elbow, etc. But has no give.

The other half of the ouch factor is getting slashed. The two years I played for my high school travel team both thumbnails were black from getting slashed, and we wore hockey gloves!

12. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    yea lacrosse was pretty big in my HS too...I think they were pretty good.. I never paid much attention though.

When I played polocrosse I had a horse that would physically threaten any horse that got near her so when we got the ball..we kept the ball..hehe..and kicked some @$$ too :D

13. Kinslayer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lacrosse is pretty much just hockey off ice! I never played as it was an unheard of sport where i'm from, but I read it's origins go back to the Indians and they were allowed to hide the ball in thier mouths and whack each other in the stomache to get whoever had the ball in thier mouth to spit it out!

14. Kinslayer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh yes theres nothing better then watching a soccer player get bumped then fall to the ground screaming and rolling around untill they run out with a stretcher and carry him off then when a penalty is called or not get back up and re enter the game Hence why a game like this will never make it big in this country!!! So give me rare red meat men anytime no castrated male wannabes!!

15. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dang, that was tough....but his name is indeed Kinslayer.

16. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, A sport where people act kind of like that has already made it big in this country. Basketball players often pull these kinds of things. Granted, they usually dont go so far as to get a strecher, but the general act is the same.

17. Kinslayer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

18. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I'm NOT reading all the way through this entire thread. I'll read this initial post, and respond. I'm American, so when I think football, I think of "American Football". However, I think the name is incorrect. Football should be soccer! That's where you use the foot...and the ball...and play! Football in the English sense is appropriate because you can't use your hands! You have to use the feet.

19. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I'm a rugby player and I've never been able to understand why in america rugby is called football and why they have to wear pads and helmets etc etc.

20. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I think no pads is better, tackles actually do something, players get hurt and stagger about a bit, if you wear pads you dont get a scratch and you can just get up again and start running again. It gives you incentive to either tackle harder and keep em down, or dodge.

The last mach i played about three years ago was great, this six foot tall guy was running like a train towards the posts, and my friend who is only about 5.2, a real lightweight ran head on at him to stop him. Had this been a film the underdog would have won, but he got smacked five feet away (cinematically, I'll say). He wasnt badly hurt and everyone enjoyed it. The moral of the story is "Who needs pads."

Which also reminds me, define the word "BALL" Everyone will probably say a round thing used in most games, By definition, the american football ball, isnt technically a ball, neither is the rugby one though, but rugby doesnt have the word ball in the title.