Flu vaccines

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Tinuviel, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    With all of the hype this year in regards to the upcoming flu season, do you plan on getting a vaccination against the flu? Why or why not? Do you feel as if the general public should be encouraged to get vaccinated(as opposed to those who are immune compromised, as it has been recommended in previous years)?

2. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    No, I won't...I rarely ever get the flu...plus I hate needles

I'm not sure how effective the vaccine is either...vaccines are never 100% and I learned the hard way that over vaccinating can be very bad.

3. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    There's not much risk to getting the flu vaccine, unless you're allergic to the components. So, there is really no reason not to get one, even if your immune system is fine. However, I feel many people are being scared by the media into thinking they need a flu shot. People with normal immune systems aren't dying from the flu, it's the people with compromised immune systems.

The problem with everyone wanting vaccinations, is there isn't enough to go around. The medical community wasn't expecting such a demand. So, I think people with good immune systems should wait and make sure there is enough flu shots left for those who really need them.

As far as me getting one.. I'm a horrible procrastinator and probably won't get around to getting one before March. ;)

4. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I've already had one, but rewally I need to, because I have athsma. For people who get sick easily, or may have odd complications if they do get sick, its a good idea. its a good idea anyway. My family is military, so we get them free, but would you rather spend a few bucks for a shot that will make your arm hurt but hopefully keep you healthy, or would you rather lay in bed for two weeks that you could have been making money (alot more than the shot costs) miserable and too sick to move. I really don't care eith way, myself, but I get one anyway, because I don't like to get sick (not that the vaccine guarantees against it, because it definately doesn't)

5. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I thought I would separte my opinion from my pose, as not to color the intent of my question.

Neither I, or my children, will be receiving the flu vaccination this year for several reasons. The primary reason is that, in my opinion, it is largely ineffective and detrimental to our health. The strain that is available for vaccination this year, is not even the much publicized 'dangerous' strain. (Don't get me wrong, I do believe that the flu, moreso the complications that may arise from it, can be quite dangerous. Especially for those who are already immune compromised.)

I feel that if the general public, being those who are otherwise healthy, get the vaccine, they are playing part and parcel in creating a more dangerous, deadly strain. The influenza virus is rather good at mutating itself, which is exactly what has been happening, and creating a hardier virus. When we create a vaccine for any particular strain, it is just a matter of time before that strain mutates into a stronger, hardier strain that the vaccine does not protect against. Then, at that point, we as the general public are even worse off than when we started. The chances of contracting the strain for which one has been vaccinated against becomes slimmer(also the effectiveness is rather low, if one does contract the aforementioned strain), and the chance of contracting a new hardier strain increases, as do the risks that accompany it. This accounts for the expected increase in deaths this year(36,000 flu related deaths expected, compared to 27,000 normally), as we have created a super virus. Most deaths occur in those who are already immune compromised, so by creating a stronger strain, they have even less of a chance of making through the season unaffected. When they do become ill, it likely will not be with the strain vaccinated against(due to the mutations), and even if it is, the vaccine will have become largely ineffective.

I just don't understand the paranoia and rush to get the vaccine. Hell, they are even innoculating people in grocery stores. :pukes: In my opinon, and that of many people who have letters behind their names verifying that they know a wee bit about it to begin with, many instances of flu could be irradicated if only people would simply practice good hand washing techniques. wash before you eat, touch your face, or after to cough or sneeze. That and stay home when you are sick, so that you do not infect others. (steps off soapbox)

6. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I agree, but like I said, I have athsma, and that can screw up your system. I do agree that we are creating superviruses, though, and certain medicines can cause problems later in life. My mom got penicillin every time she coughed as a kid, and now shes allergic to it. By breeding vaccines that eradicate the weak viruses, we are helping the other ones grow string. And the "killer flu" is actually a mutated form of one of the strains in the vaccine. In the past eight months since the vaccine was developed, a bad flu bug has evolved. And we are encouraging it.

7. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

8. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    If you care to share, I would be extremely interested in hearing your experience regarding overvaccinating.

9. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I got the flu shot this year. I don't normally get it but being I'm staying residence they highly recommend getting it. Also a very bad strain is suppose to be coming through this year and already quite a few people have died from the flu. On the downside they didn't predict too well which flu was coming and the vaccine I got will help but won't prevent the flu :rolleyes:

10. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I have always felt that which does not kill you only makes you stronger....

11. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    *takes a deep breath*

Okay..well my experience is with equine vaccines..but its all the same concept.

At my barn at school we have 140+ expensive show horses. These horses got vaccinated with a Flu/Rhino (Rhinopnuemonitos aka EHV) every 2-3 months. These horses are worth a lot of money so we didn't want them to get sick. Anyway...last winter our young 2 y/o horses started getting with what seemed to be a cold...happens every year..pretty normal...until they started running temps of 105F+ (norm is 99-101)....they should be dead at 106. Soon 75% of our horses had fevers. It turns out this was a form of Rhino...but not your average form that affects only the respiratory system. It turns out since our horses were so immune to that form they got the mutated strain that effects the neurological system.

Soon many of the older horses were showing severe symptoms...it got to the point where they FELL DOWN because their neurological system was so severely attacked they lost all coordination. They lost control of their bladders. I got to watch all this first hand..as I practically lived their day and night. Once the horse hit the ground..hope was pretty much lost. I watched 14 horses have to get put down because they were in so much pain (including 1 that I rode for a whole semester). It's an experience I hope NO ONE ever has to go through and 1 I will never forget. Please becareful with overvaccinating- results can be disasterous.

:(

12. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Oh, (((((Arwen)))))) I am so sorry. I imagine that must have been devastating. :( I really hope that I am not treading on sacred waters by asking if the neurological breakdowns were found to be a direct result of the vaccine(or overvaxing). I feel that we bombard our babies(human, this time ;) ) with too many vaccines at once and that many neurological disorders are a direct result of this(i.e. autism, MS, Parkinsons, LG, etc). Anyhow, I digress. My sympathies to you, your classmates, and beloved equine friends.

13. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Tin :)

As far as I know there is no proof that it was a side effect of the vaccine. There were so many variables that they don't know what caused it....you see we just had about 50 horses come into the barn after christmas break...1 of them could have been a carrier.

14. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Clarification: I wasn't necessarily asking if it was a side effect of the vaccine itself, moreso the body's response to the vaccine. When I reread my question, it seemed unclear.

15. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Oh ok- no, I don't believe it was a response from the vaccine..it is a known form of the virus..but the neuro form has no vaccine itself yet (hopefully it will get bumped up on the priority list...but there are still problems with the West Nile vaccine so prolly not).

16. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I haven't gotten the vaccine and I don't plan on it. In my opinion fewer people would become sick if everyone would remember not to touch your eyes or mouth when shopping or whatever and ALWAYS wash your hands with soap when you get home. My dad got the flu, and none of the rest of us got sick because we stayed away from him. Nobody sat on his part of the couch (even for a week after he was well) or handled the remote after he had touched it, etc. And thus we all stayed healthy. Plus, if people who were really not fully recovered would just stay homeif at all possible that would be great.

17. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree!

18. Nerdanel

Nerdanel [...The Wise...]

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The thing is, the media's made a big deal about the flu vaccine this year.
    More than in past years.
    I even saw an ad for it on the side of a bus the other day.

That's not necessary, and that's why we have a vaccine shortage.

The thing is, a flu is annoying, and it's not fun, but it's just a flu. It doesn't last very long, and people with normal immune systems don't die from the flu.

Maybe you have a small baby...that may be a good reason to get vaccinated.

But if you don't have any extentuating circumstances that necessitate a vaccine, just deal with it, and you can get the flu or not get it as fate sees fit.

There's a shortage of vaccine...I sure hate to think that people who really need it can't get it because of this media-sponsored vaccine-frenzy.