First two chapters of The Adventures of Norgara and Lilithien: The Beginnings

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by StagLord, Aug 20, 2012.

1. StagLord

StagLord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I figured i'd post the first two chapters of my book, the full book is up on amazon kindle if you enjoy the read. If changed the way it's spread out a bit to make it a easier read on the forum. Enjoy!

It twas night, in a small village built within a forest, in it resides travelers that have fallen astray, elves, men, dwarves and even children. To the south of the village, a tall waterfall, they call it, the waterfall of hope. Many secrets hide in this small town, and many tales to tell. With such tales as the clans of nymphs, and elixirs of magical properties, a land of mysticism and wonder. There are also numerous beings in the vast lands that surround the village, dwarves, fairies, elves, wizards, and much much more, but they also, have other races of beings, some who are not so kind.

And as we hear the river trickling and the owls hooting , there's one villager who stands out from them, a human, wearing weathered clothes, dark brown worn out boots, a dark tattered tunic, and muddy bottoms, shoulder length, wavy tresses, a small goatee , and a rugged face. Many villagers see him as a celebrity, for it is he that has seen the most. He has been around, traveling across diverse terrain and seeing things in several weeks that some people never wish to see in a life time, his name is unknown to many. Hardly anything is actually known about him outside his close circle of clans. To many at first glance, he seems to be an evil man, yet he is filled with sorrow and deep compassion, though he would never show it.

Another character cometh this tale, an elegant elf, noble in presence, walks with pride, tall, muscular, with an array of weapons at his side being that of a long sword, carved by the elves of ancient times and long bow made of the strongest wood from the lands upon his back. Long flowing black hair, electric blue eyes, and a gentlemanly manner when around women. Dark brown bottoms, high black boots, silver tunic and long flowing dark green cloak. He travels to and from the village months at a time. Little is known about him also, just that he hails from the elven lands of Hithrandir. A silent type, preferring to keep himself to himself.

His name be Lilithien. He walks down a long path to the south, down to the waterfall where he can normally be found. As he wanders up the path, the sun trickling through the leaves, scattering across the floor, the wind blowing as he approaches the waterfall. Next to the waterfall, sits the other loner, their eyes meet. In 1 second, a clash of knowledge stretching for miles erupts, not much is said for awhile.

Lilithien takes out his journal, and a quill. The rugged looking loner studies the elf. He lays his eyes upon the elfs weapons. A warrior and fellow traveler for certain. Lilithien slowly looks up from his journal and over to the man. Once again they just stare at each other for a while, each looking the other over, studying them. The man takes to his feet. Walking over to the elf, he stands in front of him, placing his palm on the tattered looking book.

“Norgara.” he says in a soft inviting tone. Lilithien closes his journal, and places it in his satchel. A gentle smile begins to invade his face, like a quarter moon. “Come” Norgara says to Lilithien, as he invites him into the old trees. They reach a bare patch of earth and they sit, “Tell me of your path, your journeys and what brings you here.” Norgara says to Lilithien.

Lilithien is a little confused. “Refuge my friend, is all I seek. I have a lady here in Bahdal, she is not here in town at the moment, however I shall await for her arrival. And you kind sir?” Norgara looks at the elf with raised eyebrows. "I too seek refuge..." he says without enlarging on it, "So who is this woman, are you a warrior or poet?" "I am neither my friend" Lilithien states calmly. "I am Lilithien, I am me, and it is what I shall be for the rest of my living days" he smiles playfully, and takes out his bow. “I am trained in the art of archery, and dabble in swordsmanship" he explains looking at his long elven sword by his side.

As they both get up, and begin to walk, they eventually come across a small cave. For a while they stand there and stare at it, something draws them in, some kind of magic perhaps? Norgara, "Shall we?" he questioned.

They both nod at each other. And so they enter, its a dark misty cave, old runes carved on the wall, some splattered with dead blood, "What sorcery is this!?" Lilithien exclaims as he walks around the lair. Norgara stops him. He can read a stone carving in the ground, it reads:

"Gilgavads lair"

They hear a roaring voice shout "Who dareth enter?" they peer through the dank mist, and out comes a man, with armor of black steel, long lank greasy hair, and dead blazing fire in his eyes. He is an elderly man. And by the looks of things, he has fought many battles. His skin dead looking, as if it could be peeled off in one, his eyes a dead grey color. a long beard strings from his face. He advances on the travelers. Norgara draws his blade, the foul stench of the man disgusts him, Lilithien clenches his bow. Suddenly Gilgavad's eyes turn swamp green, and old copper blood trickles from his hands and sharp jagged bone pikes spew from his wrists, his nails elongate. He charges at them, wanting nothing more than to tear them to bloody shreds. Norgara stands strong.

Lilithien stands at firm ease. Ready to shoot at just the right time. Gilgavad charges, building up speed. Raising his right arm as he charges. He swings down his arm with such fury it would be enough to decapitate a man. Norgara ducks, and as he does Lilithien fires an arrow, striking one of Gilgavads eyes, it explodes into pure puss... sticking to the walls. Lilithien draws his blade and swings at the creature, Gilgavad ducks out the way, but his ear is sliced off. He howls in pain, and kicks Lilithien to the ground. As he falls, Norgara takes a swing but, as he does so, Gilgavad engulfs himself in smoke and disappears. He is nowhere to be found.

The two then hear cries and the smell of burning, they rush out to see the village is on fire, orcs are pillaging the land! They take one last look back at the cave to see if Gilgavad had returned, but he is no where to be seen. They dash off into the forest, but they are quite a way away from the village. Women's screams can be heard and children's cries. The sound of swords clashing. The men are fighting a hopeless battle to defend their wives, children and their homeland. More and more dark smoke rises into the air. The newly found friends aren't going to make it. Only a few meters to go, the village is in sight. But as quick as the attack began, it was over. A fowl silence thuds the air. All that is left of the village is ruins and body’s.

They both look at the blood splattered corpses and burnt ruined village, as Lilithien looks into the eyes of a dead child, he still see's the hurt, pain, morbid sorrow and confusion in his innocent eyes. Norgara see's men and women whom died with no dignity or honor, a pale dead moon rises, the clouds turn black. They make the decision to go after the evil ones.

They head east, with fury in they're hearts.

Chapter 2: The great eastern plains

As they run up to the large gates of the village, they take one last look at what use to be their home. Nothing but bloodshed and hate fills the air. The two look at each other. They know that this adventure of revenge will bring two what use to be complete strangers to what could be the strongest bond of brotherhood known to man. They do nothing but look at each other for a few moments.

Norgara holds out his hand. Lilithien shakes it. They take off on foot to the east. Following the tracks that the orcs had left behind, yet neither of them could stop thinking about their previous engagement with the creature in the cave. Four days they had been roaming. Searching and following tracks. The forest never seemed so dense.

The night begins to dawn on them. It is only now, that the thought of the villagers and redemption began to escape their minds. Lilithien's mind however seemed to settle on something else. As Norgara began to set up camp Lilithien heads off in to the forest. Lilithien feels half broken, vowing to defend the villagers honor, and not seeming to have the power to do it, he wanders past the moonlit river as the leaves of blue stoke up stream. He takes a pebble and drops it, watching the ripples fade. Norgara builds a small fire, as the dark purple and orange of the fire's wood, heats him, he takes out his pipe, and quietly sits. Lilithien’s mind, like the flowing river , drifts off to his lady damsel, would he ever see her again. He knew something was not right before he left for the village. What was to become of him.

He heads back down the river, watching his reflection as he goes. As he nears the camp he can see the blazing fire with a stew boiling. Norgara sitting at the stump of the tree. Lilithien smiles gently. "Tell me, what of your past friend?" says the elf. Norgara looks up, with a silent raise of an eyebrow,

"I was looking for freedom, my life had been a fight since birth, in someways I should not have been born, I thought I could find peace with the warmth of a woman's body, or the fleeting memories of fake friends, hate and anger builds up, thus now I know, I am here to find out who I am, I once asked my mentor, who has now journeyed to another realm, "Why is this path so painful and difficult?"

“He looked at me and said, "Because it must go through you! And thus I spend my time out in the wild, looking for this reason and meaning, and thats all I shall say for now friend...” Lilithien looks at Norgara. For two travelers, who usually keep themselves to themselves, they seem to be getting on rather well, and find it easy to share with one another. Norgara tends to the stew while smoking his pipe, Lilithien takes out his journal, and begins writing in it. Out of it falls a detailed sketch of a most radiant women. Norgara looks up, with a silent raise of an eyebrow.

Long black hair, stunning green eyes with a ring of brown in them. A tall women, of human species. Lilithien takes the sketch and looks at it, beyond the picture Lilithien can just about make out Norgara looking at him... however the tension in the air can be felt a mile away. The sting of his glare makes Lilithien feel uncomfortable.

Norgara looks at Lilithien, saying nothing, he can almost see the wheels turning in Lilithien's mind. Norgara speaks, “This, is obviously a sensitive subject, fear not, I to have...” He pauses “Had.” he emphasizes, “felt the "love" for a women, only... she did not know it. She to, had long black flowing hair, yet her skin was swarthy like dark glowing clouds of the setting sun, full lips and, rather short. Ahh the lament, the lament, she is not the one, not really, so, who is this woman you seem to hold close to your chest Lilithien?"

Above shines a settled half sliver moon. Gently sitting under the blue and green leaves, as the silver river babbles in the distance, and the glow of the fire crackles are our two travelers. Lilithien folds up his sketch. "She use to be my everything. But now she slowly drifts to nothing but a mere memory, and not particular a good one my friend, she is human, what can I say. Most of you lose your morals and sacredness at a young age. No offense my friend." He states with a rather dis-heartened tone.

"Then tell me, what happened" Asked Norgara. "It's complicated. But she was my everything and evidently, I was a mere amusement" Lilithien replied. The moon now trickled down through the branches directly above Lilithien. "Liberation, thats what I seek now. I wish to break free upon this torture that has found my soul" he continued. And at that the noble elf stood up took his cloak and climbed to the top of the tallest tree. Laid upon the biggest branch and closed his eyes.

Norgara just sits there, not bothering to say anything to him for awhile. He was rather displeased with the elf's comment about his race, as Norgara looks up he see's a tear fall from the elf’s eye, and hit the floor, Norgara does not speak. After awhile, he says "Seems we both have unresolved issues, come down, we need to make haste.” Lilithien looks down at the human. Part of him feels somewhat un trustworthy to the human, he is human after all. He can't be much wiser than she.

A few long vigorous hours into the hunt, the two come across a orc set up, poorly build huts and shelters built out of the wood most likely found on the floor of this magical forest, The two take to the trees and keep well hidden. The orcs have spare women enslaved and tied up, two orcs are on the hillside, drunk, arguing about who will violate the last captive, Garginsvile, "I'm better looking than you.....it should be me!" Grinswald, "Rats balls, I'm the leader, all women prevail under my order!"

A dark silhouette of the two orcs, created by the rather large moon behind them, is created. The two retched beasts squabble, just as the first orc was about to punch the leader, a long powerful blade punched through his back, Grinswald in shock opened his mouth to swear but no words came out, because his mouth was shot by a flaming arrow! As they fall to their death, the noble warriors rise, deciding what to do next.

They see the huts and torture racks, thus they strip the monsters of their uniform, armor and weapons, disguise it as their own and they enter the revolting camp. Norgara creates a diversion by setting one camp a blaze, attracting the attention of several other orcs. As they sneak into the camp where the women are being held, they take off the helmets and untie the women. They sneak out the back and run through the misty meadow under the smoked black sky, the women ask their name.

"Lilithien." he exclaims and turns with a smile, "Norgara." says he whilst looking for a way out, "There is a safe passage through the goat path and up the hills, 2 days journey, here take some food and go." The two women kiss each of them on the cheek as they take off into the forrest. Lilithien looks at Norgara, "Let us move on, move on like the stars that shake the grass as they wave." Norgara nods as they strap their weapons tighter and run through the smoldering dust and decay, as embers lit the sky and smoke climbed high above the trees. Many findings and camps were found along the way, until they reached, the planes. A sandy color. It was the beginning of the Great Eastern Planes. The travelers knew that they would have to journey for weeks to get from one side to the other.

Many different creatures and strange folk some how manage to live out here, though there's very little civilization at all. The sun begins to rise. The two look at each other, "It can get very hot out here" states Norgara.

The two begin to walk off into the planes. The sun begins to rise in front of them. The heat begins to get to them already. Beads of sweat slowly trickling down both their foreheads. With nothing but one flask of water shared between them. The sound of crunching grains of sand beneath their feet. "My feet tire." states an exhausted Norgara

He looks into the distance, the horizon glares at them, the sun peals out of the earth in crimson red. The smokey planes wrought with the suns gaze and an eerie feel washes over the two, yet they keep strong and muscle on through. Minutes turned into hours, hours seemed to turn into days, they where parched. They begin to plod their feet. They became heavy. It was such an effort to raise even a leg. "We must be brave" Lilithien says tiringly.

Norgara stops. As he realizes their worst nightmare. They had become so hot and bothered, they forgot the reason they were walking in the first place. They were tracking orcs!

"The tracks!" Norgara exclaims! "The wind has blown them, we have fallen astray"

They both stop and think. Looking around as the hot sun rises higher and higher. Norgara kneels down on to the sand. He looks closely at every spec of it. Every grain being looked over. Lilithien observes Norgara closely, "Norgara, what is it?" He asks ."They have been here, dry specs of mud. They travel east, to Nuthundel" Norgara replies. "They must be heading to pillage another town!" Lilithien states. "Then we have little time to catch up to them and prevent it" Says Norgara. Lilithien nods as he unhooks his bow from his back and takes an arrow from his quiver.

They then run in the direction of Nuthundel, on and on they run, Norgara grips his sword handle as they run further, the wind and sand blows in their face as they power on through.

Suddenly what looks like massive clouds, stir towards them, huge black shapes over lapping getting closer, they peer closely, as they do so, they see it has patterns on it, it glistens in the sun, it's solid, and once more, a reptilian movement, red eyes and shrouded in black shadows, as though it was sweating black smoke. It was massive! And it flew over them with a thunderous roar that shook the ground... they were getting close now, as they ran on, suddenly they saw something in the distance. What looked like a man, just standing, watching. A dreadful feeling crept over our two warriors.

Something about this situation was horribly wrong! As they close in on the man.
    Norgara takes a look back at the epicly large creature. Norgara had never seen a dragon before. He turns back to the man to see Lilithien has run on ahead. He races to catch up.

Hands gripping their weapons, they both walk up to the man. He says nothing. Lilithien takes the first words, "My friend...” Nothing is said. A dead look in his eyes, there is nothing there. The two wonder if the man is alright. He wears only rags, has a long beard and lank whispy hair, Lilithien reaches to touch the man on the forearm and asks again, "Friend, what is the matter?" just then, the arm cracks. The cracks invade up his arm and around his whole body, he then he breaks into sand and falls to the ground! Norgara looks closely, the grains of sand start to move slightly, then in the very centre, the pile of sand seems to be getting moist.

Little trickles of water pop out from the surface. The two look closer. Within seconds a rush of water streams into the air, stretching for miles into the sky. It then begins to to grow in length, creating a wall of water between the two travelers. They have been separated. The water pushes them away for miles and they are now, completely alone. The massive wall of water hangs suspended in the air, the reflections of mirky shadows on the ground, Norgara looks up, then starts to walk, trying to find a way through, though it seems hopeless. Hours pass, nothing.

Lilithien turns to look up at the wall, then turns to where the man once stood. He knew that further east is a little town. Where the two thought that orcs were about to pillage. With a sigh and a wipe to the forehead to remove the beads of sweat invading his forehead he takes off. Norgara on the other hand heads in the opposite direction, losing his sense of direction, the wall of water barely visible in the distance, it had thrown them back so far. Norgara comes across a mud hut, drawing his blade he silently inspects it, creeping round it. Coming round and peering inside. It was a very simple interior, some plants, a pale of rain water and straw bedding. As Norgara turns to leave he is face to face with a withered old man, long white hair, a beard and pale skin, and grey eyes, the man smiles politely, "Can I help you?" he softly says. The man smiles, but not with his mouth, with his eyes. The sparkle with presence and understanding, "Ahh" he says "I see." he looks at Norgara's shaggy, sweaty, beaten down appearance, "Come with me." the man says. He takes him out to the planes, and they look up to the sky. It was dark now, when suddenly, the man raises his arms and clouds gather, "Lay down my friend." Norgara raises an eyebrow, he looks at the old man, takes a deep breathe and lays down. Eventually, the old man begins to tell stories of old with clouds, merging them together, creating images with them.

Meanwhile in the opposite direction, Lilithien has found what seems to be an abandoned stagecoach. He has climbed on top of the roof, and is laying looking up at the stars. It's a clear sky. His mind wonders, but eventually settles on his new found friend. Although they have only known each other for days. It feels like its been years. He wonders, if Norgara’s safe.
    The winds chime and the clouds roll, forming and falling, swelling and turning like the pale rock on the mountain and the sparkle in the spring river, the man Norgara was accompanied with (he explains) was a hermit, a man of the mountain, after his village was pillaged by orcs as a young boy, he retreated and became a recluse for years, probing the secrets of the elements, seeing into them, trying to find ways to heal the sick and the injured. Norgara is amazed. He takes to his feet and bows his head "Norgara." The man simply smiles and looks back at the cabin in the distance. "Let’s get you some freshly brewed tea?" Norgara smiles and takes out his pipe as he walks to the cabin with man discussing their pasts.

Lilithien still staring at the sky and reminiscing, studies the stars. When suddenly a small mythical Helterfly lands on his arm. Very rare, a species thought to bring luck to those who crosses ones path. It is said that only those of purest heart ever see one. Lilithien smiles and gently takes it into his hand. It is scaled in texture and has small bottom fangs that poke out from the bottom of its mouth. A small horned tail. Lithilien sits up and watches the creature. It flaps its wings with such grace. Before leaving its feces on his arm and flying off. Lilithien feels graced and humble. He gets up, cleans his arm and packs his stuff before heading back into the planes. Norgara sits inside as the tea is poured out, he and the hermit, sit and drink. The hermit tells tales of majesty and splender, of warriors of ancient times and the coming of new dawns. Norgara sits and listens, casting his mind back to his clans of the north, and thinking too of Lilithien's warrior culture that stretched for miles, across seas. Just then, the small, very rare creature flies in, and lands on the table. It is the Helterfly. Norgara reaches for his dagger ever so slowly, but before he could do anything the hermit stops him. The hermit gently takes the creature into his palm and he smiles to Norgara un clenching his fists. Norgara was about to have a lesson, he will treasure to the last breathe he took.

The little creature, with misty blue eyes, murmurs a coded utterance that only hermits, and other magical beings can know, the creature gives the where abouts of Lilithien. The hermit compiles a list of phrases noted from the uttering of this creature, and translates. As the words are spoken to Norgara, he proceeds to make haste, but the hermit stops him. “Lilithien, is on a path that he must proceed with on his own. But you, my friend. You must take your own path for now."

Explains the Hermit. "Come with me". He slowly gets out of his chair with a slight struggle, Norgara studies the man. "I am getting old my friend. Do not worry." Norgara follows the hermit to a small shed outside. "Be still" says the hermit, as he raises his arms in front of the shed's door. "Unmael yesterdornia".

As the words leave his mouth. The shed's door suddenly turns to a luminous blue vortex. "This leads you out of the plains, through the forbidden tunnels of the Netherbreds. The sacred clan of dwarfs. Once you get to the other side. Your bond with Lithilien will be stronger, you will understand him more, and the 12 moons will re unite you with him, safe journey Norgara.”

Norgara does not speak. He takes a deep breath, thinks of all the innocent people that were slaughtered back in the village and enters the portal. To be met by the tunnels of the Netherbreds.

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Some neat ideas in this one! I especially liked the wall of water that sprung from the disintegrating sand-man.

3. StagLord

StagLord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks !!! I imagine it to be so high its as if it connects with the sky almost >.<

4. StagLord

StagLord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heres the third chapter

Chapter 3: The forbidden tunnels of the Netherbreds

Norgara goes through the vortex, electric blue pulses, the swirl of echos and sounds. Then he smells fresh salt sea air, as the vortex dims he comes to a slab of earth on a cliff. On it he comes to a large multi plated wooden door embedded on a mountain, with a large steel handle. He knocks three times. It is answered by a red headed dwarf who stands four feet tall clayed in armor with a sword and a curved tip, the dwarf speaks.

"My name is Dolack Elauk, the ravens have given me tidings of you, come through, and stand fast human, we do not like outsiders thus far.. be quick!" Norgara enters with reluctance, as the dwarfs beady eyes glared at him through his heavy brows. The two stand in a small room. Weapons hang on the wall. The short stumpy dwarf walks around in circles inspecting him. Nothing is said. A awkward silence seems to be beaming off the walls. Dolack stands in front of the human once more. Two of the biggest hand crafted doors Norgara has ever seen stand tall behind Dolack.

Dolack takes a deep breath, turns around "This way!" as he turns and plunders through the two doors. Norgaras eyes are met by a sight that only few have seen outside the many clans of dwarves.

Furnaces blazing! Hundreds of dwarves at them making weapons and armor of steel. Dolack leads Norgara through the tunnels past all the dwarves, as they stop their work to stare at him. Through their beady little eyes Norgara can sense tension. However Norgara keeps his head held with pride and doesn't acknowledge them. They step through some doors into what looks to be a preparation room. With maps on the walls and a slap of concrete in the middle as a table. It is just the two in the room, being lit by one torch in the corner.

Dolack opens a furness of fire and pulls out white hot liquid and pours it into a shaped hole upon the floor, it is chest armor, Dolack then turns to Norgara and grunts "Sit. We have to talk."

Nogara takes a seat, which is far to small, but manages to adjust fittingly, liking the dwarf less and less every moment. Dollack speaks.

"We dwarves have kept a silent eye on the state of this broken world for more than 100 years, though we care not much for the likings of outsiders it has breached our stone walls, darkness comes under even our heavy doors, we keep knowledge and understandings of the outside via the ravens of old. We see you and your friend, fighting this dark creature, whom hath gained power far superior to what we have accounted for! You may need our help. Dolack suddenly looks in pain, his expressions look like he is constipated and he tries to utter a word but has difficulty. “...fr...frrr....friend!" he gruffs out stubbornly.

Norgara gets up to speak as he stands, a sense of honor in his heart. Norgara walks around the room looking at the notes and maps on the wall. "I know nothing about this creature, only that we met him in Gilgavads lair. And when we first fought him we were able to cut off his ear.”

Dolack nods his head. And as he opens his mouth. Another dwarf comes barging into the room. “DOLACK! WE HAVE BEEN BREACHED, BLACK WOLVES OF EVIL COME THIS ROUTE!”

"Assemble warriors, and get the women and children to safety, Nogara, you come with me," Dolack commands. They rush out and down a secret passage of winding steps and come out a secret door, and see dwarven warriors in a huddle as black wolves stare at them closing in. These wolves can walk on hind legs, like a man. Dolack screams "ATTAAACK!!." At that Norgara jumps out brandishing his sword. The wolves lunge at him, he impales one but the wolves claws have dug deep. He looks around and sees decapitated heads of wolves and the dwarves powering on through with surprising speed.

These creatures are most evil and will stop at nothings to tear flesh. Dolack and his clan have fought the wolves back by some way. Norgara stands stunned. His vision blurred. He tries to focus on the dwarven carved walls in the mines, but he is losing allot of blood. He staggers over to the corner, with the sound of dwarven battle cries in the background, he tears off some cloth from his cloak and ties it round his wound.

Beginning to sweat and feel nauseous, he takes up his sword and runs toward the wolves. When suddenly everything goes black and he feels his body crashing to the floor. He feels a hot stinking breathe on his face, the grunt of a large black wolf in his ear. He feels a paw press on the side of his face with razor sharp claws touching his eye lids, with one final scream Norgara thrusts his sword through the wolf's pelvis. The wolf yelps and falls back and under a Dwarf axe he is murdered. Norgara blacks out, he is woken on top of a large slab of cold stone. All his weapons and possessions lay neatly beside him when suddenly a raven flutters downs next to him and cox his eye at Norgara. They stare intensely at each other for awhile, Norgara knows he has information for him, but can't decode raven.

Everything is moving in slow motion. 6 dwarfs enter the room, lead by Dolack. They all stand around the table as the raven begins to fly around the room circling Norgara in the middle. He looks at all the dwarven carvings in the wall once more. A beautiful sight. A sense of happiness fills him. Suddenly the door opens once moor. The room is lit with this mans presence. An elderly man, with a long white beard and a sense of knowledge about him.

He places one palm on Norgaras forehead. And his vision suddenly becomes pure white. When suddenly he sees Lilithien walking through the greenest of fields. Suddenly he is brought back into the room. But everyone has left except Dolack. Norgara looks at the mighty warrior. Dolack takes out a shiny multi steel plated chest of amour, with gold inlays, beautifully crafted. He looks to find all his things have been cleaned and polished to perfection. There is magic in these shattered halls, subtle and that he did not fully see, caverns of gold and diamonds that can be used as armor, swords, weapons, even art. These people were silent geniuses. Norgara gets up to thank Dolack, but Dolack wants to hear nothing of it. "Come eat with us" he says, as he takes Norgara through the passage ways into a feast hall where all the dwarves eating heartily. Meat, bread, fruit, wine, beer, vegetables, all perfectly preserved. Norgara suspected they had an ice room somewhere hidden in these dark depths. They eat happily telling jokes and the hall is filled with laughter. Norgara sits down, a young dwarf looks at him.

"Tell us stories" he said excitingly. "Aye!" yelled Dolack. As he raised his jug of ale followed by the rest of the clan cheering Norgara on. And one of the dwarves began to play the fiddle. Norgara's face lights up, he then stands up with a jug in his hand and sings about the warriors of old, battling fabled warlocks and dragons, about beautiful damsels of romance, heroic deeds of value and items of immense power. His tales bring up cheers and clapping, followed by drunken fools telling of they're own. Dwarflings getting up and reenacting them, it was all great fun.

Meanwhile, back on the vast dusty planes, Lithilien lays staring up at the sky. As still as a rock on the ground. Staring at the two moons that are shining as bright as anything. His thoughts travel to his companion and how he is coping, then back to the village from whence he came. Thinking back to those years spent, beauty in the mountains and kindness in the towns and markets. As night falls on the planes Lithilien looks at the sand turn light blue with the navy sky, wondering how to get out, and meet his friend once more. With the two moons high in the sky, as the only source of light. Lithilien smiles to himself. He pictures his friends face in the stars, he knows they will meet once again. He packs up his things, and sets out on his journey to strike vengeance upon the orcs.

Back in the mines, Norgara has been given a room to take up with the Netherbreds. However he has stirred up quite a party in the dining hall. Dwarves have taken to the table tops showing off their native dances to one another. All but one that is. He is seemingly young, compared to the others anyway.

This young dwarf, Beldeth be his name, came to see Norgara, as he was taking off his boots. Beldeth stood at the front door, with his long flowing blonde hair and no beard. Stubby little body, yet a sense of happy curiosity about his face. He seemed less aggressive and macho than any of the other dwarves, he had a quiet attitude about him that’s rarely found within dwarven women. Not surprisingly enough.

They stood starring at each other for a moment, two very different people, Beldeth looked at him, then his weapons, then back at him again, they both smiled happily. "Tis I, believe it or not, that has been granted the duty to lead you out of our home and onto the great city of Firithelm" said Beldeth. However Norgara but only looks upon this 'out of the ordinary' dwarf. And with moments a wide smile stretches across his worn face. He lays his hand upon Beldeth’s shoulder and with a smile he says, “I trust you, my friend.” and at that Norgara takes to one knee and looks dead into Beldeths eyes. Beldeth begins to remind Norgara of himself when he was a mere child.

Norgara wakes in his room that resembled more of a tomb rather than anything else. His weapons seemed to have been laid out for him on a small table at the foot of the bed. A chain mail vest accompanies his things. A gift from the dwarves he presumed.

He takes to his feet and readies himself, putting on his newly acquired armor and opens the door. Dwarves were already at work despite last nights festivities. "Beldeth awaits you in the throne room" yelled one of them. Norgara moves through the crowds of dwarves, armor and weapons clinking and scraping each step of the way. He then see's a door, half a jar open, with light flickering inside. He opens and see's Beldeth sitting in the corner all in armor. A small map in his pouch, sword at his side, and shield on his back. His hair tied back, as he dawned his helmet. "Come my friend." he uttered,

Norgara seemed confused. He was but a boy, not even bearded, and yet, he displayed courage of magnitude not found in any other child. There was no emotion in that stone cold face of Beldeth's, yet his electric blue eyes, still show of innocence. Norgara was reminded of when he was little. Training with his father in woodland clearings, scars and all the rest of it remained. They looked at each other for a moment. "Come!" said Beldeth.

As surprised as Norgara was, Beldeth made it clear there was no time to linger. Norgara braced himself and watched Beldeth pull a switch that opened a secret staircase leading further under ground. As Beldeth descended down into darkness Dolack, the dwarf whom first welcomed Norgara, entered the room. "Keep my son safe” he said as he smiled at Norgara whom simply nodded his head and descended into the steps. It was pitch black.

Cold was the stone in the air, he could hear the gentle clink of armor in front of him, they came to a big heavy wooden door. Laced with thick clays of steel and iron, and a big iron door knob. Beldeth slowly pushed open the doors.

The two were welcomed by a cloud of dust and a wall of cobwebs. Beldeth reached into a hole in the wall and pulled out a torch, he lit it, and the two continued down the corridor.

"Where do you hail from , Norgara?" Asked Beldeth sincerely.

Norgara looked straight ahead, thinking back to his past, his endeavors in the forrest with his father training to be a warrior at a very young age.

"I come from a small town to the west called Chisdale, It use to be a calm place. A place of solitude and happiness. My father took me up into the Kisat mountains to start me on my journey, to train me to become a man. A hunter. A heritage passed down to my father, I still remember being a child in the forests. At night, I remember looking back into his grey eyes, echos of blood through the ages." Conviction is Norgara's face. He then turns to Beldeth, "Where about’s is your story?"

Beldeth sighs "I'm fairly young, I come from the clan of Netherbreds. I've lived in the mines all my life... Prepared for the great war that has been told from years of old that will hit us on the rising sun of the 1 0 4 0”

Norgara stares back into the young warriors face, he has never seen the light of day, only the glimmer of ancient gems and orbs be his light.

"My friend" says Norgara "If we hold victory in this up-coming battle, why don't you come with me, in the forests to the two moons and winding rivers, I can show you the mountains where my father was ordained as a warrior in his clan. What do you say?". As they walk down the long corridors, Beldeth stops. "That is awfully kind of you sir" He whispers as he tries to remember what way they have to travel.

Norgoara smiles. They both hear murmurs from above, they seem to have entered some kind of labyrinth. "Is this right?" says Norgara, "I'm not sure" replies Beldeth "We may need to re-step our footings." The air grows colder around them, and their breathe, misty. Beldeth stops for a moment to read his maps.

Norgara has been in the mines for two days now, and has completely lost track of time and bearings. Not knowing whether its day or night he stands and waits for Beldeth "Apologies friend" the young dwarf said. Norgara decides to take a seat on some stone steps leading down further into the darkness, he remembers his friend wondering where he is now. He remembers his father.

His father once said to him. In the winter of that november, on the mountain side he stares into his sons eyes and said. "Your coming of age, I will find you again, but you need to set out for yourself, I cannot be there for you all the time."

Gripped with anger and the bite of the frost, Norgara trudged through these wild lands living on what he could, trained to be alone and how to fight. If he were to ever come to civilization, he needed to not show his weapons. To be gentlemanly and to not brag, though at times it was very difficult. He remembers one time, he was passing through a village, and a gang of boys (three of them) were trying to bully a girl into kissing the biggest one of them. This Norgara could not stand. He observed what was happening, the young girl looked annoyed and scared. She could not escape. They crowded her against the back of the wall behind a stable, when the largest boy punched the wall in anger and the girl quivered with fear. Norgara, aged 16 yelled "Hey!" the boys turned around, smiled and cracked they're knuckles.

One of them, not so tall, tried to punch Norgara however he ducked it, tripped him up and kicks him in the side of the head, rendering him unconscious.

The second tries to charge at him, he leaps into the air and throws a double kick. Norgara simply steps to one side and the stands on the boys ankle twisting it. Norgara laughs. Then the last, and the biggest one, walks slowly towards Norgara. They stare at each other.

Norgara speaks "What do you think your doing with my girlfriend!" as he draws his sword! The boy took one look, and ran! Norgara put his sword away, and continued on his way, just as he was leaving, he saw the girl. They looked at each other, she looked like she wanted to say something to him.

Norgara took a step towards her. As the girl slowly slithered away, Norgara takes a deep breath.
    At which point Norgara began to feel very dismal, he had been reminded how tough his life really has been. Beldeth rose to his feet. "I am sorry to interrupt your thought, but something has come to my attention"

Norgara looked at the small dwarf. "What is it?" He asked inquisitively. "We are in the forbidden chambers my friend." Beldeth took a deep breathe "Do not move!" as Beldeth takes a step to his right, he breaks a small strand of wire, and at that the walls begin to shake. "RUN" yelled Beldeth! "Through the tunnel on the left!"

And as they made their way to the tunnel the ceiling crumbled and boulders began to fall from the ceiling. Norgara slipped through the archway followed by Beldeth. The walls began to quake and crack, splintering stones shot up from they're feet, they ran hectically to the heavy doors ahead of them. Just then the walls began to close together, they ran as fast as they could to make the gap. Norgara without notification ran beside Beldeth, grabbed him under the arm , span in a circle and lobbed him into the crack of the two walls. Norgara hurled his own self at the gap. Diving headfirst he made it through. All but his left foot. Norgara yelped as he looked down at his foot being crushed before his very eyes.

Beldeth took the hilt of his sword and tried to prize Norgara's foot free. He only just made it out, he limped to the entrance where it was now safe. Beldeth sat Norgara down, and pulled out from a small pouch in his side, some dry herbs. "Take these, they heal wounds fast." Norgara took them. He felt a tingling sensation in his foot, nerve endings where knitting back together, and the broken bones were being nourished and molded. Norgara looked up in amazement, he was about to ask the dwarf where he had acquired this plant when suddenly, he heard a deep growl. Looking up at the ceiling, he saw a long clawed beast gripping the stone, black fur all over its muscular body, dried blood on its face and arms, staring down at them with malice, drool starting to gundge out of it's fangs...it spoke.

"I have been sent by the one who's hate grows for you. I am the deices in your blood! The decay in your mind, and the puss that oozes from your wounds!" Beldeth looks at Norgara confused. Norgara draws his sword. "Begone with you, fowl creature!" Beldeth looks up, then back to Norgara. "What are you talking about Norgara?! What is it you see?"

Norgara looks down, eyes widened, "What?! do you not see this beast? Do you not see the blood?"
    Beldeth looks concerned, "Your hallucinating Norgara..."

Norgara starts to get angry "NO I'M NOT!! He's cloaked his vision from you! You can't see him, I can. He's come to kill us both, can you not hear him? Or is that more demonic trickery?!"

Beldeth looks at Norgara, "Norgara....there is nothing there, I'm sure I would have at least felt another presence here." Norgara raises his voice, "No, he's tricked you. He's fornicated your mind! He's got inside your head and cloaked himself internally!".

Beldeth jumps and slaps Norgara round the face. Then pulls out the herbs he gave Norgara, "These!" Beldeth said in desperation, "Have had an effect on you! You are seeing things."
    A cold breeze hits the back of Norgara's neck and travels from one side to the other ever so slowly. "He's here you fool!!!"

A ghostly snicker bounces from the walls. Beldeth seemingly decides to ignore it. "Unfortunately, we have entrapped ourselves. Meaning we have pro longed our journey another few days."
    Norgara looks behind him suspiciously and hilts his sword, as all seems to be quiet. However Norgara does not tread lightly as the two carry on through the dark tunnels with nothing but Beldeths small flamed torch to guide the way.

"So tell me Norgara, how did you end up here in these mines...that have been hidden from all races for centuries." Norgara is not paying any attention and half answers the question. "We are hunting down a demonic entity that is trying to destroy lives, cold hearted creature..."

The flicker of Beldeth's torch seems to create disturbing images on the grey un-even walls.
    Every drip he hears, the grip on his sword grows forever tighter, with every flust of wind, Norgara turns, growing paler and paler, Beldeth begins to get a little angry. "Alright sit down!!!" Beldeth pushes Norgara back and onto a small rock sticking out from its crevasse. "You have got to calm down!" demands the small dwarf! "He is following us..." stated Norgara, "Nobody's following us!!!" Beldeth interrupted. He reached into his pouch and pulled out a crystal, handed it to Norgara and carried off down the steps besides them. Norgara looks into the crystal, a faint glow, resident in it's very centre. As he looked deeper and deeper into the crystal, expecting to see something, just the faint glow resided, he then looked at the outer surface, and sore the reflection of himself. This had a profound effect on Norgara, he smiled to himself calmly, just then the crystal glinted a little brighter.

Norgara took this to be a sign of sorts, and put the crystal in his pouch, turned to follow Beldeth but he had disappeared! “Beldeth!?” shouted Norgara. No answer. Just the scurry of rats, and that faint dripping sound.

Norgara began to follow Beldeth’s tracks, his torch could be seen further up the tunnel, however Norgaras vision was very much impaired, and behind him was pitch black. Norgara set off, treading cautiously on uneven ground!

5. StagLord

StagLord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For anyone who's remotely interested, the book is up for free on amazon kindle direct i believe its called, only until the 9th though :) appreciate the interest

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008QBECGI

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012