First fantasy book you ever read and why?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by TheSleepingSorcerer, Jan 19, 2013.

1. TheSleepingSorcerer

TheSleepingSorcerer Duke Of Shadows

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen this topic anywhere so I figured it should be started somewhere(if there already is a topic like this, just delete this one and point me in the right direction.)
    Anyways I guess I'll start. I didn't read a lot of fantasy as a kid because my mom used to read them for me (from 6-10) we read all the HP books except for 6 and 7 because I was to old by then and wanted to read them for myself.
    I'm having a really hard time to decide which was the first one that I read myslef though, but it might actually be Eragon by Christoffer Paolini, but I'm not exactly sure (Firephoenix if you read this and disagree let me know). And to the reason why I did read it was because most of my friends had read it and I had watched the movie( at first I thought the movie was pretty good, after reading the book though, well lets just say I wasn't impressed by it anymore, except for Saphira, they did know how to make a animated dragon). But after reading it I though it was really good, and the series kept my interest to last book and I guess thats when I got into fantasy, (although it took G.R.R.Ms ASoIaF for me to realize it, and that was way after)
    So I'm taking a guess when I'm saying Eragon was my first. Which was the first fantasy book you read and why?

2. Konstantine Paradias

Konstantine Paradias New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Elric of Melnibone's Omnibus. Blew my mind straight into the stratosphere.

3. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    simply can't remember :p, was very young and i don't know which was the first :).

sleepingsorcerer i like your avvy a lot, beautiful!! who is the artist?

4. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    The Hobbit... I hated fairy tales... and actually I did not know that Hobbit was not a fairy tale... so I was like "damn that's a first fairy tale I ever liked" :D later I found out it was fantasy...

My first fantasy book I read already knowing what fantasy is was Witch World by Andre Norton...

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    My brother lent me Conan the Wanderer when I was about twelve. But before that, I'd read "Riddles in the Dark" from The Hobbit in a magazine. I don't recall any other early exposure to fantasy other than some of the Conan comics.

6. Konstantine Paradias

Konstantine Paradias New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's p[robably the manliest possible initiation to fantasy I've heard as of yet.

7. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    The legend of earth sea, probably.

My sis suggested it to me.

8. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -1
    Honestly, I can't remember for certain. The earliest fantasy book I can remember reading for sure was "The Hobbit" when I was 11.

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I don't know if my first fantasy story was ever actually written down in any form what so ever!

My dad used to tell use bed time stories and when we were very young most of them were made up stories of this and that (often involving us in that way that such stories often do). Moving on from then he would also read proper paper stories to us (I listened - sister and brother often didn't - they still don't really read even today!) I think the first was either The Hobbit or Narnia (its impossible for me to remember).

Whichever it was we moved on and had the Lord of the Rings as well :) And that was mostly it as far as I can recall - oddly we also never got as far as the Last Battle in Narnia.

That said I have the first recollections of reading the Lord of the Rings as the first proper fantasy book that I sat down and read and which hooked me on reading far far more. Sadly there was a pretty big time gap between that and the childhood story reading so I did come a ilttle late compared to other addicted readers. I do recall reading The Dark Side of the Sun by Terry Pratchett (a feat I consider quite and achivement as even dedicated Terry Fans often have no idea this book exists!) before the Lord of the Rings and whilst it gripped me for some reason I never really jumped into anything else after.

10. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Robert Jordan's "Eye of The World" I had been reading almost nothing but Star Wars powder puff novels up until
    I made a new friend who was a bit more cultured than I was. He introduced me to fantasy, and I loved it. So now
    I read almost 100% fantasy! I still haven't picked of "A Memory of Light" though :(

11. Hiram Webb

Hiram Webb New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

12. Lokasenna

Lokasenna New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I honestly can't remember, but I suspect it was probably The Wizard of Oz. The first one I truly remember enjoying was, of course, The Hobbit - which remains one of my favourite novels to this day.

13. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I read a lot of fantasy when I was young. But the earliest fantasy series I remember reading was the Deltora Quest series.

14. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Probably was the Pit dragon trilogy by Jane Yolen I read myself. Probably around the age of 7-8. And I read vampire diaries when i was about that age as well. Thought they were fantastic! And last year, I found out it was actually THE vampire diaries. (Cause the swedish books have other names). And I had to read them again.. and they're the crappiest books ive ever read. Its effing worse than twilight :O

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  15. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Taran the Wanderer for me...then on to David Eddings thanks to a kindly fantasy obsessed librarian.

16. SunnyE

SunnyE New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Witches of Eileanan by Kate Forsyth. Found it in a thrift store or something like that for a dime. Thought the cover was cool, liked the blurb. Read it and fell in love. Never turned back. Been reading tons of fantasy ever since.

17. Keeper_of_Stonewood

Keeper_of_Stonewood Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I first started out by reading the Fighting Fantasy series of books by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson....a "funner" take on choose your own adventures.....was hooked after that. I believe Deathtrap Dungeon was the first one I read.

18. kwlanford

kwlanford Active Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -2
    Mine was also. The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe I think I was in Jr High a bazillion years ago. The next ones I read were the Dragon Lance series by Margaret Wise and Tracy Hickman. That's when I fell in love with fantasy. My friends introduced me to dungeons and dragons about that time. The next set of books I love are the Drizzt books by R.R. Salvatore.

19. JordanLee1987

JordanLee1987 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The first book Itaught myself to read was the hobbit when i was in hospital as a child.I'll never forget it because i only read it to spite my mother the first time i came round from surgery lol. My mum wasn't there but the book was open on my bed, so I hid it under my pillow lol. After that incident I didn't speak to her for 10 weeks and it still remains one of my favourites, along with Dracula and Labyrinth.

20. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    wow, this takes me back.
    sci fi~ Dr Who
    Fantasy~ The book of 3