Final Fantasy XII

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy' started by Kenshin, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    ok, so i just picked up the game today, and i was blown away. the opening movie has unbievable, and the storyline is great. my only disapointment was the combat system. its not turn based, its real time action. its still cool, but i was wondering, does it get better as you acquire more party members? right now it just seems like a zelda type thing or something.

2. Elliania

Elliania New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It does get better as you gain more characters. The party gets quite good once you have Vaan, Ashe and Basche in it. They start to get pretty tough after you visit King Raithwalls tomb as long as you take the time to do all the hunts and level them up on a regular basis.

I'm really loving this game but i can't help but notice the similarities between FF12 and FF9. FF12 strikes me as a more adult/sophistocated version of Final Fantasy 9. Kingdoms at war, a kidnapped princess, a noble knight who accompanies her, a little blonde thief, some precious stones. I have to say its about bloody time. Although FF9 was a really cool game, FF12 is what it SHOULD have been. Hell, even Rabanastre at first glance put me in mind of the North gate into Lindblum, and King Raithwalls tomb reminded me a lot of Ipsens castles.

I'm just about to fight the Elder Wyrm in my game so i'm running around levelling at the moment which is a pain because i want to find out what happens in the end already.

3. Blackarrow

Blackarrow KING OF TEH

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    OK, so what happens in the end is.........Everyone dies, the world blows up, and Vaine adopts a cute puppy and lives happily ever after on Pluto......yeah, like you'll get that kinda info outta me.

I did not like the game at first. Took me a while to get into it. I actually resented Square for producing that type of game at first. But after a few hours I kinda got into the story line a bit more. I didn't really like the game play up until I figured out chaining. Find you a good place and just chain away. I liked the (gonna butcher the names here) Bridge in the mines in Bujerba, nice undead chaining. Then move to the Forest from Jathra chainning for Creole Pelts and if you have time Marlboro items. But my ultimate chaining spot is in the middle of the place right before the boss Mandagora fight. You can chain Marlboros and make over 200K each full item run. Plus you get some vanishga motes, and a few goot equip items. If you want clarification send me a message I'll go back in the game and get the names and locations so I know they are right.

Anyways....After playing for 156 hours, I'm level 78 and finishing up the last of the marks. I got all the Espers cept the last one. Basically I got hooked on a game I hated at the start. I have created my own gambit list of useless gambits like Foe-HP 100% Steal (works great for items and once you hit it once the gambit become useless so they are free to attack.) I recieve the Spear from Nabudis (you have to cheat to get this, read online how to get the best weapon or you'll miss this one). Now I'm just finishing the Espers, Marks and hunt club to finish the game.

Overall I give the game an 8. Marked down for the lack of main story gameplay (I beat the game in under 40 hours) and the minor glitches in the gambiting system. You spend way too much time changing gambits depending on what you need. I also marked it down due to the lack of cash. It seemed when I was playing that cash was scarce. It took alot of time to make the cash needed to buy decent items. And finally the skills and such. There were many skills that you dont get until WAY later in the game. Take Telekineses for instance, you must go to XXXXXXXXXXX (intentionally left blank) which is a extremly high level area to get it. By the time you are level enough to retrieve it , you basically dont need it and you are ready to end the game anyways. There were many skills and magics that were not available until just before you head out for the final battle. I thought these things would be more useful earlier in the game.

Enough of my rambling, it was a fun game and will recieve my attention again one day. The ending in itself was enough to make me play it over and over. I would not be surprised to see Square make a spinoff movie here. If it's anything like FFVII Advent Children I will be first in line to see it. If you need specific information please feel free to shoot me a message, I'll help where I can without runing the game for ya! Have fun and enjoy the game.

4. Blackarrow

Blackarrow KING OF TEH

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Acidently hit back on the browser..reposted sorry :(

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  5. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Firstly...my first words are going to be OMFG THIS GAME IS SO PWNSOME, I LUVZ IT!!!!

Ok, now that's I've got my RPG fanatacism out of my system, let me move on.

As blackarrow said, in the very beginning (there was God..but seriously) the battle mode was pretty weird to get used to, and configuring gambits was also a bit weird on deciding where to go, but it wasn't after much longer (30 mins or so) that I got the grip of everything, and found the gameplay to be totally awesome.

The Active Dimension Battle system is amazing. It has a great balance of ATB gauges with Real Time battle flow. The flow of battles is really really smooth, and hence a lot more enjoyable. I am so happy that they didn't do that bullshit turn based method as they did in FFX. That really pissed me off. Your speed factor meant nothing in that game. It's great they reverted to ATB gauges. Enemy kill chains are also really great for collecting items and making fighting the same enemy a lot more tolerable. The limit breaks (Quickening) at first were really weird, since I couldn't really chain them well...I got a max of about 4, but now that I can get into 12 plus each time their really useful for taking out bosses, since bosses are slightly harder than usual in the other FF's.

Moving onto characters. Square have done a godsend with not having any whiny characters. This is the first FF in which I actually like all of the characters. Well except maybe for Balthier...I've just ignored him and not used him. It's really weird how Vaan who you would think is the main character isn't really lol.

Now, the license board. I was a bit apprehensive at first thinking...hmm I hope this isn't like FFX's sphere grid, that was ok, but nothing great, and I'm glad it didn't turn out to be like that. It seems a bit daft to need a license to wear a hat, but it works out for reasons of uniformity (i.e. license meaning to learn how to use a certain weapon). The variety of paths you can go is really cool, and I've sort of tried to make different characters weapon specific (Axes for Basch, Daggers for Penelo, Bows for Fran), since I kinda made my characters quite unspecific, as they can all do pretty similar things. Although it can get frustrating getting crappy licenses opened up and being so expensive, I think it's done pretty well to keep the game balanced without being too powerful as you progress.

Currently my objective is to get to some place called Giruvegan after the fight with Mr. Doctor (don't want to spoil...so there's a clue) in Archades. The game is really fun, and money is actually realistically hard to get (well...more realistic), so you're not rich easily. Currently before heading off to wherever I'm supposed to I'm finishing off the hunts I have currently and and building up my money count since it just goes so fast lol