Final Fantasy X or X-2?

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy' started by Elkean, Jan 25, 2006.

?

Which is better?

1. Final Fantasy X

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Final Fantasy X-2

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. They're both the same to me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't care about either of them

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Final Fantsay X was an incredible game (In my opnion) and it was a huge landmark for the Square Soft/Enix franchise. It was so amazing that it got a sequel to it, Final Fantasy X-2. I love both of the games and thought they were both a lot of fun to play. Yet, I enjoyed Final Fantasy X a bit more than Final Fantasy X-2 because of the storyline and the fighting. However, some people I know (who will remain nameless) think that FF X-2 was a better game and more fun to play. So, what do you other FF fanatics think? Vote in the poll above or post a reply here (with a reason please).

2. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    While i dont feel as strongly as you, I picked FFX. It wasnt that good for me, I still prefer the previous FF games. X was a low point for them in my opinion.

3. Lews Therin Telamon

Lews Therin Telamon The Kinslayer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Elkean wholeheartedly, and I believe that, while X-2 was quite fun to play, it was a little weak; I don't think FFX was made with the intent for a sequel, so they were kind of flustered when they were told to make one... just a theory...

Anyway, FFX was gorram awesome, and a good bit better than FFX-2.

4. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Yeha I always thought FFX was better too...I mean, the plot was good, for one thing, and the characters were all more likeable. I didn't like the way the characters looked in FFX-2, I didn't like the new additons...I guess it's just me, appreciating the classics :p

5. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    FFX was ok, FFX-2 pissed me off more than X, but had some good parts, like the battle system. And yea Yuna looked worse in X-2...but Paine looked quite good, she was cool...Rikku was annoying as ever.

Brother was exceptionally annoying, alog with that gas mask kid: Shinra.

Alchemist: I agree wholeheartedly. X was somewhat lacking compared to its predecessors. Ever since Enix...there's something lacking about the aura of FF that it usually held. Although Enix is a good company in its own right.

6. Drac Critius

Drac Critius Radical Subjectivist

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don’t really care for the whole series in general. FFX-2 seemed more like a girl power kinda game then an rpg and don’t even get me started on the acting. But on the plus side the music was good, 1000 words is one of my all time Fav songs (and it was the only reason I didn’t send Square Enix hate mail).

IMO,
    DC

7. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I really agree with you there Meteorain. I didn't like Shinra at all. I found him annoying and somewhat useless. All he did was give you info on certain worlds and events going on in the world of Spira.

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    1000 words was meh...better in jap...less corny -.-

FFX-2 was an ok game, it just didn't compare that well with the other FF's. True the girl power theme was particularly repulsive, but gameplay was quite ok. The real-time/ATB based gaming was really good, and it was a relatively fun game to play. Although...I only liked using Floral Fatal...the rest of the limit break type Dress Spheres kinda sucked <_<

9. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    One of the things which I liked most about playing FF X-2 is how it was so laid-back and easy-going. Final Fantasy X seemed pretty tense through-out the whole game (which still made it fun to play) and it was nice to having the sequel more calm.

10. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    FFX was tense? I never had such an easy time playing a FF game before. thats why i dont care much for X....it was way too simple and easy, feeled like they dumbed it down.

11. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I don't mean by the way the game was played I meant by the storyline. The entire game everyone was sad and they kept saying we had to defeat Sin. A lot of people died in it when Sin attacked and everybody couldn't wait for the Calm to come. Plus, Tidus was sad a lot because he wanted to go home to Zanarkand and he kept saying how much he hated his father, and he was very upset when he learned that Yuan had to sacrifice herself to defeat Sin. I mean the whoel game seemed like one big sad story the whole way through and X-2 wasn't really like that; that's what I meant when I said the game was tense.

I'll agree with you that the game play was somewhat easy, but for a first time FF player it might have been a bit difficult at times.

12. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Erm...nearly every FF is sad...considering you have to defeat a great Evil.

FF7 had one of the gloomiest worlds, FF8 had power-tripped ppl everywhere, FF9's whole world was subjected to Mist, FF6 had that crackpot Kefka doing crazy things.

It is that, that made FFX-2 a bit naff. It didn't have that sort of "danger" feel to it. I was expecting it to live up to the fact that is was a "Final" Fantasy, suggesting that there was only one chance to save evrything, and so on an so forth.

Tidus' character is what it is, and without his relationship with his dad, he wouldn't have been a very deep character, quite shallow actually...a male bimbo as it were.

Plus...tense is good...it keeps you wanting to play the game, and finish the game feels good, because all that tenseness as it were is relieved.

13. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I agree with a lot of what you just said Meteorain. The feeling of being tense made the game fun to play and all the Final Fantasy games are tense, but FF X-2 is less tense than the others I would say and that's what made it unique. Plus, it gets kind of depressing after a while when all you are doing is just playing "sad" games. I mean in FF X-2: Sin, Seymour, and the fiends were all gone so there wasn't much to be "sad" about. If FF X-2 was more "sad" than it was I don't think people would have liked it that much because it would have seemed like a never-ending sea of sorrow and pain.

14. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well...considering the amount of times I played Blitzball I wouldn't actually say the game was a sad one >_<

True...FFX-2 is pretty laid back for most of it compared to FFX, but there are many elements in FFX that help break it up, the blitzball, Khimari's stoic intial behaviour towards Tidus at the beginning, and ofcourse Wakka's speech and general plight with Lulu :p

15. adamkyran

adamkyran Mako Addicted 4 Life

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    X was a good game to me. It had a good story line & Everything summed up at the end. The only reason I have X-2 I Because I want to try & get every numerical Final Fantasy ever. It was so boring to me that i never even finished it. Some people might like it.....it's just not for me.

16. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    FFX is definitely the better of the two. Perhaps not the most difficult FF game, but enjoyable nonetheless. The thing that pisses me off though, is the NTSC version of the game. I had this game when I lived in England, and the PAL game is much more challenging, simply because you are able to fight Dark Aeons. These are based off of the same Aeons you use, like Anima for example, but they have millions of HP and very high statistics. Your characters have to have very high attributes to beat them. I'd say these are more difficult that the best Monster Arena bosses. Nemesis is decent I suppose, but the Dark Aeons prove more difficult. Plus, you get great items for defeating them, such as armour with Ribbon, which is another thing you can't get in the NTSC version. In addition to this, when you defeat all the Dark Aeons, there is a final boss called Penance which you fight in the Calm Lands. He has 12 million HP (I think), and perfect stats. Obviously you need to have 255 for all attributes to beat him, including luck.
    I especially liked the storyline. Kind of a quintessential love story about two people falling in love with each other without openly declaring it, but it added something nice to the overall feeling of the game. Afterall, Yuna is bound to a seemingly hopeless quest to defeat Sin for a short time, only for it to reappear, and this doesn't exactly set a happy mood. (Though obviously that's not the way it turns out)

FFX-2....Decent. Not spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't that bad. I picked it up simply to conclude the story. The battle format was pretty cool, but I think that since it wasn't turn based in the same way FFX was, the battles were far too easy.
    Brother is a straight prick. I hate his character. Awful voice, and his obsession with Yuna, while perhaps well founded, got old...and fast. And Shinra, well, no one likes a know it all, especially when he doesn't know something he should!
    They also ruined Blitzball in this game. FFX had one of the best mini games of any game I've played. Blitzball is a fun game. Not in FFX-2 though. It sucked. A lot of sports games seem to be swinging over to the management side of things, but that shouldn't have been the case with Blitzball. And Sphere Break was hardly a worthy substitute.

17. Nova

Nova New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    X was waaaay bettrer, I thouroughly enjoyed x-2, but it wasn't anything wonderful or great- it was really only meaningful in that the end made everyone happy again, which was nice, but without it we had a perfectly good dramatic, in depth fantasy story.

18. Khellendros

Khellendros Dragon Tamer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Nova, X was great, but X-2 wasn't all that good.

19. pigfish

pigfish Superstar DJ!!!

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    X was definitely the better game thou by no means the best in series - both were enjoyable to play thou

20. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't the storyline that turned me off about FFX and FFX-2...instead it was the gameplay. I'm sorry but to me that is the worst gameplay i've ever experienced. Does anyone agree or not agree....? I'm Just curious as to what you all thought of the gameplay.