film vs book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Soldier of Gondor, Feb 12, 2004.

1. eravelleria

eravelleria New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Definitely the books, cause when you read you have the chance to imagine everything in your personal way and I suppose that this is what Tolkien, and the writers in general, tried to achieve.

2. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The films kept out a lot of stuff that was in the books. But they also interpreted the battles very well in a way Tolkien never did.... It's a tough one, they were both good.

3. Endrak

Endrak Resident Mad Scientist

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Speaking as someone who has read all three Lord of the Rings books and The Hobbit, I must say that the films are better. The books were just too boring. Sure, Tolkien was a language professor at Oxford, but that very profession turns his writing more toward structure than content.

4. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    You either like Tolkien or you don't, I guess.

I've talked to people who loved the movies and hated the books.. and vice versa

and I even know people (fantasy fans, mind you) that didn't like either

I tried to attack them, but I was outnumbered >.>

5. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Books all the way.There's just an allowance for so much more depth, and yet when I see movies like Avatar or Pirates of the Caribbean or any other sci-fi or fantasy movie, I sit in awe of the director's work, and really appreciate them. I wanted to be a movie director once, and i love watching movies, so nothing against them.
    But books no question. :D

6. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    books; they have so much more imagery and emotion that a movie can't even begin to have!

7. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I cant choose one, i love books and movies.

I can say that most movies based on books are not half as good as the book is.
    But there are also a lot of Fantasy films that are not based on a book, they where made for the screen and making a book out of them have the same effect of the other way arround in most cases (there are expetions).
    I do like some adaptations to screen from books and comics, and like them as much as i like the book or the comic.

8. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    From comic to movie I think is completely different - things like the Batman series, the hulk, iron man, all the DC and Marvel kinda stuff - league of extraordinary gentlemen - all of those movies were amazing and I'm not a fan of comics so maybe I'm biased but I think movies are better in that situation.
    But yeah Rosa you're right there are amazing fantasy films that were then adapted into books and in most cases it's the same - whichever came first is the better one.

9. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Movies basde on comic books do are great, but i cant say better in all cases. i mean, there are a lot of things on comics that are just left out on the movies and i would not like to miss them. But if they did made all the comic as it is on a movie, it wont work, too much time, some times completely far from the main plot.
    So i think they are bouth great, just not one best that the other. ( whit exeptions, there are also bad comic movies, and comics that are just bad that for some reason or another make it to the screen and are still bad.)

10. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I read them in Autumn. It just feels natural.

Anyway, and off-topic, I bought a pack with the first 5 volumes of the History of Middle Earth. Too bad I couldn't find the other seven. Maybe I'll find them sometime in the future.

11. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I love reading my favourite books at the same time of year each year. Just makes them feel more homely, and all the more enjoyable, if anyone understands what I mean. It's always nice to return to them each year. For me, it's Winter, my favourite season :)