film vs book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Soldier of Gondor, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Soldier of Gondor

Soldier of Gondor Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is the best, the films ore the books??
    I thinks that the books is best cause they have changed and taken away to much in the films :nono:

2. jake1964

jake1964 Old enough to be your dad

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    I think they are both great for what they are. Some things will work in a book that just won't on the screen and vice-versa. We all have parts that we would have liked to have seen in the movies that didn't make it. But, all in all, I think PJ did a great job in not taking anything away from the story. It still really remains true to the books.

3. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    books

-dt

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Jake that they are both great in their own right, but if I have to compare the two, the books are still the best.

5. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    well, I'd say the LoTR is my fav. book. And LoTR is my fav. movie, tough choice.

6. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am the same as turin, both are my favorite in there respective category, but since the books are the originals ill go with the books.

7. HaldirofLorien

HaldirofLorien Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    OOOOOOOOOOOOO thats a toughy but I'll stick with the books. ( the films are stilll mind blowing though.)

8. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    i am with turin, but i dont like to judge them together, cuz i dont like when people are always like "yeah i saw the movies, they were awesome, but the books were way better." and i dont like when people say "the movies were much better than the books, everyone knows that." Lets just look at them with their own beauty.

9. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    IF I had to pick between having the books or the movies for the rest of my life I would take...............books hands down.

10. ElvishTwin

ElvishTwin Left-handed Scribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really have enjoyed reading the books and seeing the movies. The books I like because Tolkien rarely leaves out any even semi-important details, but he sometimes goes too much into depth, in my opinion. I enjoy the movies because they give me a visual and audio "picture" to match with the books. The books were extremely well written, and the movies were extremely well done, although Glorfindel and some other characters that I thought were cool were left out, but it all makes sense now that I have taken time to think about everything and fully realise that not everybody who sees the movies are huge fans of the books like I am. :)

11. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with ElvishTwin. The movies are the best they can be, and will be my favourite movies for eternity (unless a WOT movie comes out...)

12. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How can you compare? The films are based (albeit loosely in some respects) on the books. Without the books and Tolkien's vast imagination you never would have had the movies. I was over the moon when I found out the movies were being made, but now I'm not so sure. I loved FOTR. TTT was ruined for me by all of the unecessary additions. And I still don't know how I feel about ROTK.
    The movies have their own place, and are great works of cinema in their own right. But don't compare them with THE SOURCE. It doesn't bear comparison for so many reasons people.

13. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    books, but PJ did a really good work :)

14. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    books...
    hands down

15. The Archangel

The Archangel Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i mean the movies were like greater than a great thing, entertained me no end they did. but thats the problem, no end has an end in this case, been the end of a high level of enjoyment after about fifty viewings. the book however i read once every year, normally in winter in front of our fire. ill always love both, but the books can be enjoyed over and over and over and over again you know?

16. Tolman Muggworts

Tolman Muggworts claymore wielding hobbit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yet again, I must say that the books are way better. Why does hardly anyone read the books (I mean outside of the fantasy forum). That kinda makes me mad.

17. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    OK i also wanted to add something.

I think in many ways the books can do things that the movies cannot. There is so much information in the books and so much involved that it would be imposible to capture all of those elements in the movies.

Yet, also i think the movies can do spectacular things that it is impossible for the books to do. I remeber when i was reading rotk again about a year ago and i thought "i wonder how pj is gonna show gandalf riding up to the citadel of minas tirith. It would be a pretty boring scene to see him riding up to the top." Then in the movie the music is swelling in my ears and its just an awesome scene. And the same goes with the lighting of the beacons. There's no way that the book can make you feel that excitement.

I still love the books and I love the movies. My favorite books of all time will be LOTR, and my favortie movie of all time will always be LOTR.

18. Quercus

Quercus The Very Last Entwife

The land of the inhibited and the home of the terr
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Knowing what I know now, if I had never seen the movies or read the books, and I was told that I could experience the story through only one media, I would choose the books without hesitation.

The movies were fantastic, and I am so pleased that this wonderful story finally received the attention and notoriety that it deserved. Nonetheless, the books are better.

19. walker1979

walker1979 dream weaver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If i had 2 choose 1,to have forever..It would have to be the novels.Hands down..

20. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The films were a travesty of the book, pandering to a Hollywood audience whilst abandoning those who are faithful devotees. Tolkien would be spinning in his grave to know what his decades of diligent and painstaking work resulted in.

Last edited: May 19, 2009