Fighting style

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Cudgel, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK in the interests of making this lil section of TFF come back to life I am jsut goonna aslk what style or styles of fighting yall have done

Ive done about 5 years of SCA shinai the last two of it was psent incorperating historical longsword techniques into it.
    Ive also done ATA TKd which is a style I ahve no respect for at allall the djonangs taht area part of teh ATA are as far as i can tell McDojos.
    I also am Doing Aikido, which I suck at.
    Abd I am now going to be restarting my shiai aain using as mush as I can use from the Liectenaur Tradtion of German longswrodplay into it as I safely can.

2. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My dad just signed me up for something called Jiu-Jitsu(sp?)

3. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh, you'll have fun with that. It's a grappling style, very practical for self-defense.
    Tell me, do you know if it's a traditional Japanese school or is it Brazilian style?

4. Orkin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Let's see, I started out with Tae Kwon Do, back in High School, because it was in the HS cafeteria. I began playing with the Markland Medieval Military Militia at about the same time. In college I took foil fencing.
    Then we moved to California and I took up shito-ryu karate at the college, together with more fencing. I was introduced to the SCA but didn't fight much, since I didn't have a car and couldn't lug armor around. Soon I found a Buddhist church nearby that taught kendo and iaido (the art of drawing the sword), and I studied that for a while. I joined the Navy and was stationed in Hawaii, so I could take any martial art I wanted, so I signed up with De Robio Escrima under the late master Braulio Pedoy. I also played saber fencing in the park. After I came home, I took a break from martial training, but soon found a teacher of kenpo (hadn't done that yet) who emphasized point-sparring. I moved soon to another kenpo school which also featured ju-jutsu. I moved to Oregon, then moved back, and found a school in Jeet Kune Do, where I trained for a year or so, until it turned out that the guy was teaching without the right credentials. Somewhere along this path I also dabbled in ninpo, which is another word for ninjutsu as a martial art. Didn't like that too much. I also studied at another ju-jutsu dojo, and at a Brazilian ju-jutsu school.
    Then I found that someone (Brian Price) was teaching medieval longsword as described by Fiore dei Liberi in 1400. I've been studying the western martial arts (WMA) for four or five years now. As a fan of the Conan stories, I've always wanted to master the art of the broadsword, and many of the schools I trained at, partially satisfied this craving...
    I'm thinking of developing my own style, which is basically The Cimmerian Art of War.

5. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I did Jiu Jitsu integrated into Goju-ryu karate for 3 years.

It's alot of fun. It encorperates rolls, take downs, falls, etc.

It was also the secondary mode of combat for samurai. The first mode being the katana (or sword).

6. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Orkin,
    I am in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

7. Orkin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Berenson son of Barahir:
    It's very interesting that you're getting involved in a martial art that you have little knowledge of.
    But on the bright side, you're in for a treat! I've done a bit of BJJ. You're going to learn lots of cool wrestling tricks! Have you done any wrestling previously? BJJ is a down-and-dirty "ground fighting" wrestling style. If you've ever seen the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on TV, that's one of the styles that everyone seems to have adopted to one degree or another, because... it works. At least once you get down on the ground.

8. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Orkin,
    Just to let you know, my brother and myself specifically asked our dad to sign us up for Jiu-Jitsu. We did some minor research on Gastao Gracie and Mitsuo Maeda and some other more extensive research on what we were really getting into.

9. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Another thing, my school offers basic wrestling techniques for the beginning of the second semester.

10. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Actually the primary means of attack for samurai ws the bow....and then as samurai became more foot based polearms. The sword was mainly a back up weapon.

And as for ground fighting.....its well and good to fight on the ground whenits a nice flat softish mat and another to do o in a cramped alley way or street where thre might be broekn glass and such as well as being concrete...... Im fairly certain that the jujutsu practiced by samurai was a stand up form seeing how if you go the ground in pitched battled, well you are on teh gorund with horses and peeple moving around and some of those peopl are the budies of the guy you are grappling with.

Not I have anythign but respect for UFC fighters. Just poiting out a weakness of relying on take down grappling to defned your self.

11. Orkin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My apologies. Judging from your original post, it sounded like you were not familiar with it.

12. Orkin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, there are many schools of traditional Japanese ju-jutsu; some emphasize one set of techniques over others, but ju-jutsu as a whole (and amalgam styles like Danzan ryu) incorporates throwing, joint locks for control, "mat" techniques and even some kicking and punching. The Brazilian style just specializes in the mat work.

13. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My apologies. Judging from your original post, it sounded like you were not familiar with it.

Sorry Orkin, my first post was somewhat misleading.

14. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That was my impression also......:rolleyes:

15. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I'm currently taking Tang-Soo-Do. I'm way ahead, and the instructor taught me stuff that i should be learning as a red belt (I'm a green with 2 stripes). Its a pretty simple art that doesn't look all that fancy, but it works.

Eventually, I want to take one (possibly) 2 arts and go to a medieval sword school. The guy may actually teach katanas too...yayness!

16. Orkin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What's that like? Do you do kicks etc like tae kwon do, plus throws etc like judo?
    Is this Chuck Norris' style?

17. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    The art itself is a mix of punching and kicking in forms, as well as in fighting. Tae-Kwon-Do (so i hear) focuses on kicking a lot more than Tang-Soo-Do does. I'm not sure about the famous people taking it, but as I said before it's a very practical art.

There's very little if any throwing involved, and no grappeling (that i know of). My instructor kind of branches off the art a little and teaches us street defense with some take downs and uses of the pressure points.

He teaches Bo staff, but i'm not sure about nun-chucks. I never saw him use them but there's a pair in his office...

18. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think Norris actualy did study tang soo do, but that was when all martial arts were karatea nd kungfu even when thy weren't :rolleyes:

19. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I was doing Thai Kick boxing, but the training for it was a bit above my physical level, so I'm going to work on just conditioning for a while until I can keep up with the training. I still do judo. Other than that I'm mostly self taught in weapons

20. Ainuudar

Ainuudar Death Knight of the Drow

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Nice! I took Tang-Soo-Do for about 5 years. I am currently a red belt with one black stripe going across the entire belt and one white stripe (2 more white stripes untill test for black {well midnight blue} belt) but it was just too much trying to juggle school, sports, and martial arts. Tang-Soo-Do is a Korean martial art, it is in the middle between Japanese (very powerful, rigid attacks) and Chinese (very free flowing, somewhat like water) styles. Not very shiny and sparkly, but like you said, it works!