Fiction Piece, need info!

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by mddembo, Mar 31, 2008.

1. mddembo

mddembo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I’ve been working on a fiction piece set to take place in the Middle Ages, and have had a few history related questions that I’ve been unable to find answers to. One of the main characters is a knight, and during the story he is given a promotion. The thing is, I’m not quite sure what rank is above Knight, if there is a specific name used when addressing someone of that rank (e.x. Sir Arthur deGrey), or if there is a particular name for the promotion ceremony.

If there is nothing above a knight, I was wondering what the rank under a knight would be. From what I could find it looks like I might want to make the main character a squire, although his childhood is never mentioned during the story. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this dilemma?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -0
    I know that a squire eventually becomes a knight, so that would be the rank below, I think above knights you had a set of military ranks like commander and general etc, but don't quote me on that last bit

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You might want to check the Order of the British Empire for differening levels of Knighthood. Doubt it will help, it's a pretty modern thing.

4. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Page > Squire > Knight > Lord