Ffxi

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy' started by PrinceOfMirkwood, Jul 16, 2004.

1. PrinceOfMirkwood

PrinceOfMirkwood Elven Assasin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed a lack of talk about FFXI, the only online FF. I happen to love it and think it's the best FF game due the infinite amount of things you can do in the game. Anyone else agree?

2. Infinitum007

Infinitum007 the beat goes on

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have neglected to buy it because of all the crap you have to buy. I know that it is worth it but It is just too much to buy, I have got bills to pay.

3. Zidane

Zidane Master Thief

Wherever the palace guards can't find me.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It's worth the buy.It's just I don't think that many people own it or have played it anyway.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  4. Cellardoor

Cellardoor Windstriker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've never liked the idea of an online FF. Doesn't it take a lot away from the story? Does it even have a storyline, apart from improving your characters and fighting other people online?

5. adamkyran

adamkyran Mako Addicted 4 Life

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't like the whole idea of online FF cause what if you don't have internet like me?

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Pew pew pew pew! Boom!

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I've got it... It's awesome. Really, it's incredible. Anyone who can afford 12 or 13 dollars a month and has a lot of free time on their hands (which is virtually necessary for ANY MMORPG out there... 'cept maybe Guild Wars, from what I've heard.) should go and get it. Well, they COULD... don't have to, but there IS a free month when you install it, so it's at least worth a shot, right? I use the PS2 version, because I don't have to worry about upgrading my damn computer then...

If you've got a PS2 (and not a compact one; the HDD won't fit in there), the $100 you pay for the HDD and FFXI is worth it for the HDD alone... I used to have to delete saves every time I rented a new game, but now I just transfer it to the HDD and copy it back later. I even made backups of every save on my memory card just in case somthing happens to it. Then you don't have to worry about starting all over if you lose it... you'll just have to redo whatever you did between your backup and your current file (which can be a LOT if you aren't careful, so be sure to frequently update your backups). This is the accessory I've been wanting for my PS2 for a long time... Memory cards are expensive... Plus, if you have SOCOM II, I believe it works with that for something, so that's helpful, too.

As for PC, well, like I said, you might have to update your computer a little bit to run it... a friend of mine bought FFXI for his PC a couple of months ago and it took something like four hours to install (which is something PS2 owners don't have to worry about; it's already on the HDD.), and even then it totally filled up his hard drive, so he had to delete it and buy a new hard drive for his computer, and even THEN he couldn't figure out how to install his new hard drive... lot of hassle and he never got it working. =/

The game itself is great, though... even though I lost interest after getting my AF weapon at level 40... Hard to describe it... it's big, it's vast, and it has a lot of areas you won't be seeing before level 60. Seriously... There's a lot of cool areas, but the monsters there will aggro you on sight and totally whip you and send you back to your spawning point. Plus, real exploring isn't really acheived until you can unlock the chocobo quest at level 20... For the first twenty levels of your game life, you'll have to walk from your city of choice to the local leveling spot, which can be a while to get to on foot and still takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to get to on chocobo. Then there are the unfortunate leveling areas that are WAAAY out there and can REALLY take some time out, which is why I reccomend you have a lot of free time if you're serious about playing this game.

OK, I guess that's all I have to say on the matter...