Fetishism

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Julie, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    So I'm reading for my dissertation right now... One of the authors got a bit sidetracked and suddenly I find myself reading about psychoanalysis and fetishism. It says here that fetishism among men is caused by the "shocking discovery of sexual difference (the absence of a penis on women)" and following from this - "castration anxiety." The fetish can be any object in place of the penis. This is rather interesting, but I was wondering if this was the dominant belief among psychologists now or is this a theory that has been refuted? (there are some psychology students here, no? I think Em & RW) And also I was wondering what the cause was for fetishism among women - if there is such a thing? - as of course we cannot exactly suffer from "castration anxiety". :)

Cheers mateys!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I recall my Psych101 class in junior college and covering the Freudian notion of fetishism, among others; including ancient symbols and objects and how they were integrated into various cultural beliefs. Even at the tender age of 17 when I took the class it all seemed like overblown nonsense. I realize we're talking mostly about the subconscious mind here and as such we can never know the full weight of its influence on our conscious thoughts and actions, but the entire idea of fetishism doesn't really strike a cord with me. I mean we covered many things in class that sort of pricked the back of my mind (pun intended), and made sense to me because on some level the subject matter included me, even if only in a cursory way. But when we hit fetishism it just seemed completely foreign to me. I don't ever remember wanting to have sex with my mom... I wanted to have sex with some of my friend's mothers but that's different, and healthy. I think.

Anywho... I like my penis, not particularly worried about being castrated, nor am I afraid that when I have sex with a woman my soul will be sucked into her vagina, and while I like women's feet alright it's not excessively so. Am I normal?:D

As for women... what about body piercings, is that a fetish?.. why nipples and lips if it isn't a fetish. As I recall, and correct me if I'm wrong... the most common sexual fantasy for women is being raped by a stranger. That must in some way determine fetishism among woman, right?

Perhaps you need to see that pic of me after all... maybe there's something darker going on underneath the surface that I need to know about.;)

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I think part of the problem with any sexual study of humans is that most societies we have (esp in the "modern developed world") are quite repressed sexually speaking. We are brought up in an environment where sex is typically hidden and kept from us for a very long time - indeed the protective nature is to keep kids sheltered from such "dark" influences.
    Heck in some social groups they try to control not just the pairings themselves, but also the positions that are allowed and not allowed - heck isn't there a US state where missionary is the only "legal position" for sex or something like that.

Contrast this to most other animals where sex is just another thing in life that happens in daily life and I think that the reason sex studies with regard to people start to sound a bit odd is because we live in a very odd manner with regard to our sexual nature.

4. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    We have all kinds of funky sex laws still on the books and they vary from State to State. However they are seldom enforced. In some ways though, our country is becoming more puritanical and uptight about sex. When I see in the news some poor kid get arrested for sending a naked pic of herself to a boyfriend or whatever silly thing that was done I just shake my head. Minus all the tech gadgets it's pretty much the same things my generation did growing up.

5. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Didn't hear about that occurrence but the incident about Mr Weiner (unfortunate name) made the news... :) Though that's a different matter of course.

The sexual repression, yeah, I'm not sure but I imagine the 60s-70s to be more progressive in that regard?

6. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
  7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The late 70s into the 80s the stuff we did just seemed normal.
    It's only many years afterward that sometimes I look back on some of the stuff and think, "okay, that was kind of weird".:)

8. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Shock Horror! Did I hear “psychology”!?
    I'd just like to mention that psychoanalysis is not a science and is usually preferred to not be linked to psychology.

Onto the subject:
    Repression is one of Freud's favourite play-things; somebody who is repressing murderous urges might become a surgeon, so that he can cut people up (what he wants) whilst doing good (what is “ich” and “überich” want). The same might come to sex: the male or female wants something (probably sex, or some form of it) but has grown up being “told” (maybe subliminally, maybe not) that this should not be done. The individual will then move the desire to an object, which will not go against their upbringing (the “überich”).
    This is an illusion that the conscious part of the brain is creating to stop the subconscious to take over. A fetish is probably not a weakness on the individual's part, but more likely the way that they have evolved in society.
    Other times, it is more that the conscious part of the brain wants to follow society, follow what it has heard has happened or seen happen and thus almost artificially create a fetish (maybe by hearing of women being raped and feeling bad for them, the brain wants to know what it's like? [please don't take up on this last bit]).

9. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I'm always caught wondering if the human mind is far more intricate than we believe, or far simpler than we'd like to admit.
    Most times I think we're fairly simple creatures.:)

10. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    How it works is the intricate part, what it works is much more mundane really. Aside from all the like passive things it does like detect using senses.

I think fetishes have so much variety it is is hard to categorize them and talk about them all at once. Like are furries considered a fetish? That would be a whole different beast to consider.

11. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Furries? Whats that? These little stuffed animals that kids take care of?

Freud... I really wonder how much of his theories actually are true. I do think its quite interesting.

The rape fantasy for women has been brought up here, but I wouldnt categorise this as fetishism... Apparently its a sort of self defense mechanism.

12. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Furries are people that dress up in animal costumes and sometimes (the weird ones) act like animals.

Freud's main helper (Jung I think) left him at one point because he believed that Freud linked too many things to sexuality. I do take that point of view, but if you take Freud's ideas as more abstract ideas, then they are very complete and do explain many things rather well.

13. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I wouldn't be surprised if Freud is a bit like Darwin and Steven Hawkings in being one of the once top voices and also media showcases; but having been surpassed or had their work significantly built or adjusted through more research over the years. As a result the public concepts are rather backward (partly as a lack of research and partly as a lack of media coverage of advances)

14. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Oh don't get me going on Stephen Hawking... I think he's totally overrated and way overhyped.

Search tags for this page

castration fantasy