Female elves in fantasy literature

Discussion in 'General Books' started by benji_stanislav, Feb 8, 2017.

1. benji_stanislav

benji_stanislav New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First time posting in this forum, but not even Google could help me with this question so hopefully somebody here can - I am desperately trying to find a book/series of books/comic book where the lead character is a female elf. If not lead character then at least second fiddle.
    Re-watched the Hobbit movies and while I know some people didn't like them, I did. And I loved the addition of Tauriel as that book is amazing but obviously lacking in female characters. And that character has a lot of potential for growth which is a shame because she exists only in those films and it is obviously unlikely that the Middle-Earth of those films will ever be revisited. So I was just curious if there was anything out there that somebody might point me (and my wife who is also interested in this) in the right direction? Thanks!

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    You might find it interesting to read the Silmarillion as there's a few lead females in there - although its a challenging read (don't start at the beginning; jump a few chapters in and get past that infamous borin son of glorin son of dorin son of davin bit).

Otherwise there are many fantasy books with female leads; but when you want an elf lead its gets a little thinner. Many books focus on humans as the core protagonist; fewer are those with non-human (even elf) lead characters.

I'm actually struggling to think of any however Artemis Fowl certainly has a lead elf in an alternate world fantasy setting.

3. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +519 / 3 / -0
    Eh the Silmarillion was an easy read imo. All it takes is knowledge of elven names. And a little patience to get through the beginning I suppose since it's mostly about the creation of the world. Otherwise the Tolkien estate is releasing Beren and Luthian sometime soon, which will obviously include a female lead of sorts (hopefully).

I know that the Mithgar series by Dennis McKiernan has a few female leads, including an elf in Dragonstone. I'd say they're worth a read if you can get past the fact that he intended them to be a continuation of Tolkien's work (but he was unable to get the rights so he just sorta changed the names and whatnot).

Other than that, I'm not sure. I'm sure there are some lesser known works out there that dabble with female elf leads, but they probably aren't more than cult classics to a select amount of people.

4. SaranderBrander

SaranderBrander New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's like they're either too serious, or too wild. Elves in general end up being more defined by their race and seem less complex than humans. Of course, they're not as stereotyped as Dwarves or Orcs.

It's one thing I really love about the DRAGON AGE games. Even #2, which had problems sure, but still very interesting characters and writing. They actively attempted to create Elves and Dwarves with real complexity and depth, while still showing how their race affected their identity even as their personal choices took them in a different direction from the norm. Merill and Varric.

Maybe it takes an Elven author to appropriately write an Elven character? Just not the ones from Terry Pratchett / Stephen Baxter's "The Long Earth" series.

Anyway, to poorly answer OP's question. I played through Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition both as a female elf. I was satisfied with the writing specific to gender and race.

5. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I don't quite remember if they were actual elves but I think you should take a look at "Ravens of Avalon". Very strong female characters.

Edit: I just checked my bookshelve for answers;) I don't believe they were elves. The book however has a very celtic vibe to it. Lots of myths and mystery. I still think it's worth your time.