Favourite Fantasy Quotations

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Elynda Fae, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Elynda Fae

Elynda Fae Of the Seven Fae Realms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are your favourite lines from fantasy novels? What words give you a thrill when you read them; make your heart beat faster; send shivers down you spine?

This is one of my favourite moments from Lord of the Rings.

Eowyn, in the guise of Dernhelm, defies the Lord of the Nazgul, standing tall and unbowed when all others have fled away in terror (save for one very frightened but brave Hobbit) love for her king lending her courage...

A cold voice answered: "Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him!"

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. provolik

provolik New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My favourite is from The Lord of the Rings too.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

;)

3. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +467 / 3 / -0
    “There was nothing left to fear. He would endure or he wouldn’t.”
    Raymond E. Feist, Magician

4. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    “Good Morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.

"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"All of them at once," said Bilbo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    I love many from HP, to be honest. Including the first paragraph of the first book :D

Some of them...

"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense." (also that passage about Vernon Dursley hoping he was imagining things, which was very bad because he didn't approve of imagination.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

"After all this time?"
    "Always," said Snape.
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

6. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +730 / 6 / -2
    I always loved

"I'd rather be a pig than a fascist", from Porco Rosso.

and

GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?

GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

• Like Like x 2
  7. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +633 / 1 / -1
    Frodo: "I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
    Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    Just going to throw one out there.

Lord Janos Slynt: Are you drunk?! I'll not have my honour questioned by an imp!

Tyrion Lannister: I'm not questioning your honour, Lord Janos...I'm denying its existence!

9. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” - A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin

“As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from its mouth and nostrils. The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons.” - A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin

“So Lyra and her daemon turned away from the world they were born in, and looked toward the sun, and walked into the sky.” - The Northern Lights (or The Golden Compass), by Philip Pullman

• Like Like x 1
  10. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +633 / 1 / -1
    “Lucifer: The million lords of hell stand arrayed about you. Tell us, why we should let you leave? Helmet or no, you have no power here - what power have dreams in Hell?
    Dream: Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar [...] what power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?”
    Neil Gaiman

• Like Like x 1
  11. TirelessSeven

TirelessSeven Active Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    "Lost a fight? The fight's not over until you win it, Fitz. That's all you have to remember. No matter what the other man says." Burrich, in The Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    Golden :eek:

13. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +633 / 1 / -1
    'Yes, that's so,' said Sam. `And we shouldn't be here at all, if we'd known more about it before we started. But I suppose it's often that way. The brave things in the old tales and songs, Mr. Frodo: adventures, as I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull, a kind of a sport, as you might say. But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have been just landed in them, usually – their paths were laid that way, as you put it. But I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on – and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story and not outside it call a good end. You know, coming home, and finding things all right, though not quite the same – like old Mr Bilbo. But those aren't always the best tales to hear, though they may be the best tales to get landed in! I wonder what sort of a tale we've fallen into? '
    `I wonder,' said Frodo. 'But I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale. Take any one that you're fond of. You may know, or guess, what kind of a tale it is, happy-ending or sad-ending, but the people in it don't know. And you don't want them to.'
    'No, sir, of course not. Beren now, he never thought he was going to get that Silmaril from the Iron Crown in Thangorodrim, and yet he did, and that was a worse place and a blacker danger than ours. But that's a long tale, of course, and goes on past the happiness and into grief and beyond it – and the Silmaril went on and came to Eärendil. And why, sir, I never thought of that before! We've got – you've got some of the light of it in that star-glass that the Lady gave you! Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end? '
    'No, they never end as tales,' said Frodo. `But the people in them come, and go when their part's ended. Our part will end later – or sooner.'
    'And then we can have some rest and some sleep,' said Sam. He laughed grimly. 'And I mean just that, Mr. Frodo. I mean plain ordinary rest, and sleep, and waking up to a morning's work in the garden. I'm afraid that's all I'm hoping for all the time. All the big important plans are not for my sort. Still, I wonder if we shall ever be put into songs or tales. We're in one, or course; but I mean: put into words, you know, told by the fireside, or read out of a great big book with red and black letters, years and years afterwards. And people will say: "Let's hear about Frodo and the Ring! " And they'll say: "Yes, that's one of my favourite stories. Frodo was very brave. wasn't he, dad?" "Yes, my boy, the famousest of the hobbits, and that's saying a lot."'
    `It's saying a lot too much,' said Frodo, and he laughed, a long clear laugh from his heart. Such a sound had not been heard in those places since Sauron came to Middle-earth. To Sam suddenly it seemed as if all the stones were listening and the tall rocks leaning over them. But Frodo did not heed them; he laughed again. 'Why, Sam,' he said, 'to hear you somehow makes me as merry as if the story was already written. But you've left out one of the chief characters: Samwise the stouthearted. "I want to hear more about Sam, dad. Why didn't they put in more of his talk, dad? That's what I like, it makes me laugh. And Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam, would he, dad? " '
    `Now, Mr. Frodo,' said Sam, 'you shouldn't make fun. I was serious. '
    `So was I,' said Frodo, 'and so I am. We're going on a bit too fast. You and I, Sam, are still stuck in the worst places of the story, and it is all too likely that some will say at this point: "Shut the book now, dad; we don't want to read any more." '
    `Maybe,' said Sam, 'but I wouldn't be one to say that. Things done and over and made into part of the great tales are different. Why, even Gollum might be good in a tale, better than he is to have by you, anyway. And he used to like tales himself once, by his own account. I wonder if he thinks he's the hero or the villain?