Favourite Author and why

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Harlequin, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I agree. But a lot of people get lost in books 4-6 because that's when the series slows down (and the books expand to over 350,000 words.) But for those who stay the course the series only gets better.

2. Brandon Pilcher

Brandon Pilcher Creator of Ubuntu

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My list of favorite authors is not long, as I read only occasionally, but here's the ones that really stand out for me:

Robert E. Howard: This is the guy who created Conan the Barbarian. I enjoy both how he describes action scenes and the adventurous spirit of his short stories. Unfortunately his portrayal of black people is very typical of 1930s fiction...
    Michael Crichton: His books are very informative, because he does tons of research. I admire him for that.
    Harry Turtledove: I'm currently reading his Breath of God, a novel that has barbarians who ride woolly mammoths. You cannot fail with that.

There's another fantasy author whose works I have not read but would like to: Charles R. Saunders. He's the writer of Imaro, which is set in an African-type world roughly similar to my own conworld Ubuntu. As someone who likes African culture, this appeals to me.

3. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    i love JRR Tolkien, Tamora Pierce and SM Stirling :)

4. FARAWAYSAY

FARAWAYSAY Farawaysay

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like Elvenwriter, I think it is hard to have only one fav, but Anne Rice made me miss my train stop once, when I was younger and working in London, that is a sign of a good writer.