Favourite Author and why

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Harlequin, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1

The case of Charles Dexter Ward is outstanding, edge of the seat stuff.

"Lovecraft is The Master of Horror", and that was a quote from Steven King people.

And as for Tolkien , well he's probably the father of fantasy as we all know it .......End of Story!!!

2. Esoteric

Esoteric Into The Forest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a die hard Tolkien fan through and through. For a couple of years I've been reading Fantasy series and haven't found anything that struck me the way reading The Lord Of The Rings for the first time did. I think the thing I love most about the world he created was the depth and history that you can discover reading The Silmarillion, and several other of his books.

R.A. Salvatore is another author who I've really enjoyed...even though he's far below Tolkien...his stuff is just a fun read for me, nothing overly wowing.

3. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I feel ashamed to not have read any Lovecraft or a few of the others mentioned :p I've never read any Raymond E. Feist either... should I?

4. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Feist is a good writer; start with Magician and see if you like it (I think you probably will).:)

Lovecraft, on the other hand, is something of an acquired taste. I personally don't like short stories as an artform, and so I rather avoid him. Horror aficiandos, however, rate him as one of the founding fathers of the genre, and he certainly had some interesting ideas. By and large, though, I recommend Feist over Lovecraft.:D

5. Harlequin

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    If you take horror, mix it with a 1900-1920 timeline and couple it with mythological legends, then write stories about it you would result in Lovecraft type of works.

It's a bit like The x-files of the 1900-1920's.

If you want to try a sample get :-The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-H-P-Love...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Check out these reviews to decide if he's the author for you.

6. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  7. McTroubles

McTroubles New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    With you on this one. He's a star. The only author to make me laugh out loud. I just can't stop reading when I've got a Pratchett book

8. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Favourite author is Tolkien ~ primarily for the world created, it's history in The Silmarrilion & The Complete History of MiddleEarth and of course in LoTR. I've got loads of other favourite authors, for great books/series and/or characters, but I've lost count how many times I've read Tolkien.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Elf JoElle

Elf JoElle New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Shakespeare.
    He's a genius with words.
    He can write fantasy, tragedy, romance ... everything.

10. Priv8eye

Priv8eye New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I love David Gemmell, there is something in this work that really hooks me in. I've heard complaints that his work is often similar, and that can be true, but I love the style of writing, the common theme of the fallen who can be redeemed and so on.

Terry Pratchett is another favourite. Loved it since I read the Colour of Magic when it first came out and I've collected it religously ever since. The Guards Guards series the best he's done IMHO.

I think Tolkien got so famous, not simply because he was a good writer, because to be honest I find his work a bit awkward to read - I do like it but the language and the way the characters speak can be a bit much. I think its also partly because until Tolkien along there was nothing else quite like it, and the world is really well thought out. Everything in Tolkiens work has a place and position that makes it all seem very real. You can accept simply whats on the page or delve deeper into his work and find out so much more. He had a real passion for his Middle Earth and really tried to give everything background and meaning.

I'm not suggesting that others don't. Its jsut that Tolkien did it in a way that captured the minds of so many.

11. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Interesting points :D I'd love to be able to create the way Tolkein did. I'd love that kind of power over readers. To make them love my work the way so many love Lord of the Rings. It'd be exhilarating :) He must be proud.

12. The Chaos Engine

The Chaos Engine Grumpy Old Git

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Terry Pratchett probably just hedges it, but there are dozens of authors I couldn't live without. As for why, those who are fans will understand, those who aren't probably won't.:)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  13. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    David Eddings. I love his fantasy works, and I think he was a really great writer.

14. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Very apt thing to say.

I don't think I could live without David Gunn's stories... but as an author I don't know I've only read a few of his books.

Thanks for the advice guys : loads of people have told me to read Magician because they think I will like it! Think I'll have to give in.

And Harlequin that description about Lovecraft's stories sounds really interesting. Will have to check that out too. That's my July books sorted then XD

15. confusion

confusion New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my favorite author is Steven R donaldson

16. Harlequin

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    So, have you made a purchase yet then.
    If not, why not.
    If yes, told you so didn't I.
    Ha ha

17. Sammael101

Sammael101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, when I read the post I couldn't believe my eyes. The answer to the OP is sooo easy, it's Robert Jordan! And the fact that no one mentioned him is really shocking. Yes, I love many of the authors you've mentioned, Feist, Brandon Sanderson, Tad Williams++ But none of them is Robert Jordan. I like Paolini but in his writing you can tell that it's his first work. Robert Jordan's characters has dept and is so dynamic, good, and identifiable. His writing and description of envierment is mind-blowing. The level of detail in every aspect of the world of Wheel of Time is amazing, he draws upon real-life experience and many different cultures from all over the world, none are his match. The Wheel of Time series is undoubtedly the best book series of all time! ALL TIME! :D
    His passing is a sorrow like no other, but Brandon Sanderson is doing an awesome job at finishing the series, he too is a really good author.

Also another good author is Tom Lloyd with his Twilight Reign series, though I feel the that Twilight has ruined the name a little :p This is truly a dark series with amazing writing and story ^^

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  18. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My friend tried to convince me to read the Wheel of Time but it was so massive that I procrastinated away from it. Lol. Next time I'm in the city I'll buy the first book :p

19. insideout

insideout New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haruki Murakami!

Read A Harddboiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Then you will understand why. He writes surreal fiction that has a deep tranquil quality while still blowing your mind to shreds.

20. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The greatness of Wheel of Time is merely glimpsed at on the first book. After reading the second book, you'll start to get a little of the bigger picture. After reading the fourth book(the best, IMO) you realize that this isn't just another fantasy series. But only after reading the sixth book, do you really realize the greatness of the series.