Favourite Author and why

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Harlequin, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Hi all.So who is yours.

Robin Hobb is mine as she is without doubt the best fantasy author of modern times.
    Her Assassin trilogy, Followed by the Liveship Traders trilogy ,Followed by ths Tawny Man trilogy and to cap it all they are all linked.Incredible stuff and you become totaly immersed in the stories ,the characters and their lives.
    The Soldiers Son trilogy is different and so far seems as enthrawling as all of her previous books.
    Has anyone read any of the stuff she wrote under other names please and are they as good as her more recent stuff.

Thanks

Harlequ!n

2. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My favourite author is Jack Whyte, though running a very close second is Steven Erikson. Whyte's historical novels are simply amazing, in every way. I could praise him for hours and it wouldn't do him justice, lol. As for Steven Erikson, his Malazan Book of the Fallen series is mindblowing in scope and form. I love his style and, well, everything about his writing. HIs worlds are full and very believable, and you can see how his education in anthropolgy and archaeology had influenced his worlds. That, too, I think is a reason I like him, as I am currently taking a degree in anthropology with an archaeological stream.

3. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    oh man i dont even know where to begin.R. A. Salvatore is good, i like his style of writing. Hm, also Brian Jaques, cant forget about him. God i realy cant name all my favorites lol

4. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    if you count favorite as "most read over and over" I'm probably tied between Georgette Heyer and Tolkien. And maybe Margaret Mitchell too, come to think of it. I probably read GWTW twice a year for a decade or more. Then there are those authors I am compulsive about collecting every book in every edition, including obscure ones decades out of print. That would be people like Daniel Pinkwater and William Donahey.

5. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely, 100% Terry Pratchett. Not only is he hilariously witty, enthralling and thought-provoking, he liberally peppers his works with real-world references and is incredible at highlighting the absurd in our world.

6. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Robin Hobb and Steven Erikson are both mindblowing authors, I love them both!
    They both never fail to amaze me with their style, and they're completely different but incredibly enjoyable reads. I love the Malazan Book of the Fallen and Robin's first three trilogies. It's awesome how they all connect :)
    The Fool was my favourite character xD

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1

Ah yes, The Fool, Amber, Beloved or Lord Golden, whichever pseudonym the caracter is going by at the time.
    After reading the three trilogies several times it becomes aparent that this character and not Fitz is whom the story is about. Fool and his quest to bring Dragons back are what all 3 of the trilogy of trilogies are really about.

At the moment though I have just finished re-reading A Song of Ice & Fire again and am now reading Lavondyss.
    Hobb is just holding her head above Martin and Holdstock by just a whisker for me !!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  8. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Awesome :D I agree - the books are really about The Fool and other pseudonyms etc xD
    No matter what books I read Robin Hobb will always remain one of my very favourites :D

9. I_Saw_Eden_Burn

I_Saw_Eden_Burn Moonchild

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    For chuckles, it has to be Robert Rankin. He doesn't aim for satire, just plain silliness and belly laughs, and when I'm feeling down that's just what I'm looking for.

For more serious reading, it's a choice between Stephen R. Donaldson, Clive Barker and H.P. Lovecraft. All three authors avoid the cloying 'good beats evil' mentality which stifles so much fantasy fiction, aiming instead to induce in the reader the kind of existential dread that comes with the knowledge that humanity is just an insignificant speck of dust in a vast, unknowable (and frequently hostile) universe.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Elvenwriter

Elvenwriter Mmmm, Spam

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    i reallly can't decide. too many good authors to choose from. i really like christopher paulini, since he introduced elven to me. but the movie SUCKED

11. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Gemmell : for obvious reasons

Bernard Cornwell is second tho, at least for the moment. The Warlord series and the Saxon books are gripping.

12. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's a really sweet reason to like an author :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zziz

Zziz New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Right now, it's very likely Brandon Sanderson, the author of the Mistborn series.

14. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My favourite author is Tolkien (if you want to know the reasons look in the Fantasy Questionnaire thread).:D

A very close second, though, is Tad Williams for his Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (the only trilogy I know which consists of four books due to its epic size:)). I suspect my reason for liking Williams is the same for liking Tolkien - he creates a vast, believable world which is a pleasure to traverse, not a chore. Williams also neatly subverts the cliche that has built up in the genre since LotR was published that the 'bad guys' are always in the wrong. The heroes of Williams' world are haunted by an ancient genocide, and are reaping the consequence even to the present day. All in all, a rollicking good read, and Williams is an excellent writer, if not quite good enough to topple Tolkien from the pedestal I've built for him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'd really like to know how Tolkein got so famous. How do fantasy writers become as praised as he does? Is it because his books captivated the imaginations of thousands because it was something new, and different, because he was writing in the right place at the right time or simply because he's a fantastic author and his work spread like wildfire?

Why aren't authors like Robin Hobb and Steven Erikson praised/known more? Their writing is just as good if not better.

16. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Tolkien was the originator, the trailblazer. He created the genre. Prior to him, the only fantasy stories were primarily fairy tales or moral homilies languishing in the ghetto of 'children's reading.' Not only did he create the template from which all other fantasy authors have borrowed, he imbued his work with more depth than any since. There may well be authors who are more stylish than Tolkien, but the fact remains that in half a century not a single one of them has been able to surpass the scale of his achievement, nor do they seem capable of doing so. Tolkien wasn't just a writer, he was a Professor, a philologist; his intellectual pedigree is far superior to most of the hacks writing fantasy today. Thus, he remains king (in my eyes, at least:p).

17. Kaltrina

Kaltrina New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sidney Sheldon..because he was one of my favorite writters his books are all bestsellers.

18. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I guess it makes sense :) He practically is the King of Fantasy Books, as we know the fantasy genre today. It's weird to think how recently that genre was created and how widespread and huge the genre has become.
    Well, I have my answer now :D So thanks :D

19. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome. And, ultimately, it's just my opinion. There are plenty of people in the world who dislike Tolkien (I simply regard them as misguided and quite possibly mad).:D

20. Jingojolene

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Haha xD That made me laugh! Oh they're definitely mad and misguided. Tolkein's work is fantastic. Why wouldn't they like him?