Favorite Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Jun 9, 2005.

?

Which Star Wars film is your favorite?

1. The Phantom Menace

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. Attack of the Clones

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. A New Hope

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  6. Return of the Jedi

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Obi-wan "retreated" because he didn't want to kill Anakin in the first place. He was trying to get Anakin to come back to the Light Side and stop the fighting.

2. Drac Critius

Drac Critius Radical Subjectivist

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If Obi didn’t want to kill him he wouldn’t of left Vader for dead on mustifar. Remember the scene where vader (without a saber) is on the ground and obi tries to strike him but vader quickly uses the force to regain his saber to block obi's strike. Well it's obvious obi was tiring to kill him, you don’t return another to the "light side" by striking an unarmed opponent.

IMO,
    DC :)

Attached Files:

3. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    True (is Light Side the correct term? I'm not a Star Wars expert) but, that was because he was in the middle of a battle and he was defending his own life. When he jumped onto that hill he was telling Anakin to stop and he even said to him about Anakin using his powers, "Don't try it". The picture which you showed is where Obi-wan was in the heat of the battle. He had no choice but to fight.

4. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am also not a star wars expert. ;)

The reason why I put the light side in quotes is because I see no light or dark side in people just points of views.

Do you have the movie? If so I encourage you to watch this scene again, maybe you'll see my point, but then again its only my opinion, George Lucas is the only one who truly knows.

IMO,
    DC :)

5. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I have all six star films on DVD. I've watched that scene before and I stick to my reasons before. Are there any Star Wars experts on this forum that can help this debate? (I know I've debated with Anakin before about Star Wars on this forum)

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I've created a poll about this (Did Obi-Wan do the right thing) cause in my opinion he failed where Luke succeeded, because Obi-Wan instead of trying to reason with Anakin, he's only lecturing him more, which just made him more angry. And yes Obi-Wan did try to knock out Anakin in a kinda coward way, but you have to understand that this wasn't really a fair fight. Obi-Wan said himself that Anakin was a great fighter, so it's a miracle that Obi-Wan was able to defeat Anakin altho Sith are known for their overconfidence just like Anakin was.

But yes I stand with what I say...Obi-Wan didn't try much to bring Anakin to the light side (comics call it the light side while Luke calls it the good side in Return of the Jedi) He only made Anakin more angry, and didn't try to talk with him much. Screaming didn't help much. Obi-Wan blew his chance to talk to Anakin when he argued with Padmé but I admit that Obi-Wan didn't have a lot of chance to talk to him once they battled. Anakin seemed so eager to fight, cause he blamed everything on Obi-Wan (the death of his mother, his turn to the Dark Side) cause Anakin was well aware that what he was doing was wrong but that he felt like he didn't have a choice.

But the old Jedi Code wasn't perfect either. The rule of attachments are forbidden seemed to be a downfall for not only Anakin but other Jedi too. Many Jedi had secret relationships like Quinlan Vos ao.
    Jedi are also irrational. When Obi-Wan and Yoda found out Anakin became a Sith while they didn't know what his motives were for becoming one, the only thing they could think of is killing him. Did they know Anakin became a Sith to rescue Padmé? No, all they could think of is that because he's a Sith, he is evil and must be killed which is in my opinion irrational. I agree you can't forgive him for killing all those Jedi. Punishment was needed altho he wasn't completely responsible for it himself. Darth Vader and Anakin are two different persons. But giving Anakin the highest punishment for something he actually didn't do completely himself seems like a desperate move of the Jedi. Were they so afraid of Anakin...I guess so. There is also no logic in leaving Anakin to burn instead of finishing him off. Is that mercy or couldn't Obi-Wan just kill Anakin himself but only chop his limbs off. I guess there is no logic in his actions because if he finished off Anakin there would of course not be a second trilogy lol

7. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ^I agree

IMO'
    DC

8. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Whoo! That was a lot of text. How do you know all this stuff? Anyway, when Obi-wan left Anakin to burn I think that was both merciful and sort of torture. Why, because the fire that was burning Anakin was a more painful and slow death, and if Obi-wan just killed him with his saber then he would be dead and it would be quick. However, I think that Obi-wan didn't really want to kill Anakin by the end of that fight so he didn't strike him unti he was dead (he just left him there to die on his own). It's strange, confusing, and raises a lot of questions.

9. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    How does he know all this? Cause he has common sense and knows his stuff ;)

But to add to what has been said. Obi-Wan left Anakin out of mercy, this is true and is a fault of Obi-Wan, and something that he clearly regrets in the original trilogy. He hadnt grasped yet that Anakin was now Darth Vader, as afterall, he was continuing to call him Anakin, when he was already Darth Vader. Anakin was dead. It was Obi-Wan unable to come to terms with what had happened. He felt sympathy, and left Darth Vader there on Mustafar, when he should have killed him

10. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I didn't mean how did he know the reasons for the things Obi-wan did I meant for the factual information that he had given. I was wandering where he read, heard, or saw the info he gave? I thought that was obvious.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    commentarees on DVD. Trying to understand George Lucas' vision

12. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    All George lucas talks about on those commentaries is graphics and special effect, I was very disappointed.

IMO,
    DC

13. J-hawk

J-hawk Philosipher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A New Hope for me

14. Susan Evenstar

Susan Evenstar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While I would normally vote for Epi 1 because of the hotness of Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor (yeah, that was immature! sorry!) I voted Return of the Jedi. Wonderful film! It's always been my favourite!

15. Lews Therin Telamon

Lews Therin Telamon The Kinslayer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There's no beating the scene in Return of the Jedi when Darth Vader said "Perhaps she will" and Luke was like "Hell NOOO!!!" and went all psycho and an epic lightsaber battle ensued in which Luke absolutely owned Vader. Truly, the only bad thing about that scene was the fact that is was so painfully short.

Sure, you've got all these crazy Lightsaber battles in the new movies with their hokey-special effects and intense choriography, but there's no beating the classic realism of that scene. And while some people might think it's nothing compared to the new battles, remember that when RotJ was filmed, Lucas had decided the Lightsabers would be really heavy, so for luke, it woul have been like swinging around this 20-pound sword, and I can say from experience, that is not an easy thing to do.

16. frodohead172

frodohead172 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can honestly say its to hard to pick one.i think every movie was a great. thank you george.

17. Gil-Galad_360

Gil-Galad_360 Aran Noldorin

Mirkwood, keeping the woods free of Morgoth's mini
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ROTS for me, Emperor vs Yoda and Anakin vs Obi-Wan are the coolest fighting sequences of the saga

18. kayla

kayla Perfectly Flawed

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    attack of the clones and return of the jedi.

19. Renzokuken

Renzokuken You have failed this city!

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I went for ROTJ as my favourite. It was the introduction of the Jedi for me, so Luke was my absolute favourite character out of the entire Star Wars saga. I thought the screenplay was done superbly for its time as well.

20. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Empire Strikes Back is the best of the old trilogy. It's perfect. Gothic, dark, and really captures the best of the time period I believe. I just love this one because the hero fails. And so does the villain really. It was just a great ending. Kind of FOTR-ish in that way. Wasn't a happy ending but at the same time there is a little hint of some hope.

My favorite of the new trilogy of course is Revenge of the Sith. I love the others, so it is really hard to say one, but this one brought Star Wars pretty much full circle back to what it was in the old trilogy. (some will argue) But I think the classic 1 saber on 1 saber battles brought us back after seeing dual blades, and the staff. Those are cool, and I can even take Grievous with his 4, as I thought it was awesome, but I'm glad the main battles were straightforward and really dramatic.