Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Appaliq, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I have a list of favorite quotes from the series thus far. Some are interestingly worded sentences/phrases by Martin, some are 'quotable quotes' from the characters, but most are just funny. I could go on and on, but I'll post a few my favorites. Feel free to share yours, I love hearing other fun ones.

AGoT

"Follow me, and try to look a shade more lecherous and a shade less like a King's Hand. It would not do to have you recognized. Perhaps you could fondle a breast or two, just in passing." (Pg. 195)

"Qotho was ever the cruelest of bloodriders. It was he who laughed. 'Does the horse breed with the sheep?'
    Something in his tone reminded her of Viserys. Dany turned on him angrily. 'The dragons feeds on horse and sheep alike!'" (Pg. 670)

ACoK

"'I am sorry for your loss as well, Joffery,' the dwarf said.
    'What loss?'
    'Your royal father? A large fierce man with a black beard; you’ll recall him if you try. He was king before you.'" (Pg.50)

"'Bad enough when the dead come walking,' he said to Jon as they crossed the village. 'Now the Old Bear wants then talking as well? No good will come of that I’ll warrant. And who’s to say the bones wouldn’t lie? Why should death make a man truthful, or even clever? The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints – the ground’s too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do…'" (Pg. 205)

"Did you think we hired you to fight in a tourney? Shall I bring you a nice iced milk and a bowl of raspberries? No? Then get on your f*cking horse." (Pg. 842)

ASoS

"'Oh, very good.' Jaime laughed. 'Your wits are quicker than mine, I confess it. When they found me standing over my dead king, I never thought to say 'No, no, it wasn’t me, it was a shadow, a terrible cold shadow.''" (Pg. 157)

"The gods made the earth for all men t’share. Only when the kinds come with their crowns and steel swords, they claimed it was all theirs. My trees, they said, you can’t eat them apples. My stream, you can’t fish here. My wood, you’re not t’hunt. My earth, my water, my castle, my daughter, keep your hands away or I’ll chop ‘em off, but maybe if you kneel t’me I’ll let you have a sniff. You call us thieves, but at least a thief has t’be brave and clever and quick. A kneeler only has t’kneel." (Pg. 558)

Like I said...I really could go on and on.

2. Michael Schalk

Michael Schalk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A Song of Ice and Fire is easily the most quotable book I know .. my favourite quotes

"I will chop of their manhoods and feed it to the goats" Shagga Son of Dolf

"This is the year, the season, the month, the hour, and I am the man" - Theon Greyjoy

"I feel innocenter by the instant" - Tyrion Lannister (at the duel of Oberyn and Gregor Clegane)

3. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    After reading those quotes, I am reminded of just how good those books are. :)

4. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Where did you find this one? Which book, ya remember?

It does that to ya, doesn't it, Jess? I think that's why I'm obsessed with writing em down sometimes.

5. Knight of Flowers

Knight of Flowers New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    At a guess Its from A Clash of Kings when Theon see's the comet.

6. Klay

Klay New Member

I live within the confines of my overactive imagin
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    These are taken from a few of David Gemmell's works.

"That, my friend, would be as clever as slapping the balls of a hungry lion".
    "You wretched genderless mule!"
    "If wishes were horses my freind, then beggars would ride!"

7. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

That may be, but this is the Song Of Ice And Fire Section...

8. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    "When the wildlings knocked him off the Bridge of Skulls, somehow he landed in a nice deep pool of water. How lucky was that, missing all those rocks?"

"Was it a long fall? Did landing in the pool of water save his life?"

"No.
    He was dead already, from that axe in his head. Still, it was pretty lucky, missing all those rocks.

~Dolorous Edd

9. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    "I am not without mercy!" Thundered the man who was notoriously without mercy.

That one always amuses me.

10. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Man I miss this thread.

11. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry saw this on a another site somwhere and thought some people might like it, didnt want to start a thread for it so I thought i'd put it in here.

Reader ADAM HARMON writes:

I'm something of an online gamer since my last role-playing group disbanded a year or two ago. I started a new character on World of Warcraft and took a jaunt through one of the forests in the game. As chance would have it, I came across a blond woman named Cercei. Granted, the spelling was off (in online gaming, names are hard to secure), but I had to take a chance because I just finished reading A Song of Ice and Fire up until Crows for the second time. I told her privately, "Valar Morghulis," and without even skipping a beat, she replied, "Valar Dohaeris." It was the closest thing to a secret society handshake I've ever learned.

And Martin replies:

Hey, I think you may be on to something here! What a great idea, a pick-up line for ICE & FIRE readers! Don't know what to say to that cute girl you just spotted at the con party? Just stroll up and whisper, "Valar Morghulis." If she replies, "Valar Dohaeris," you know you've got something in common, and you're off and running, talking about your favorite characters and the books in general and other books you've liked and... who knows where it will end? And if she gives you a blank look instead, that's good too. Either she doesn't read at all, or she's a Terry Goodkind fan, and you can move on and find someone else. It's well known, mixed marriages don't work.

Of course, you don't actually say how this online relationship turned out. There are certain perils in getting too close to blond women named Cercei, no matter how they spell it.

GRRM

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  12. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    lol, I think I've heard that before. I'd love to get a Valar Morghulis tattoo, but I think I'll wait until the series is over just in case the meaning of the phrase takes a nasty turn (For instance, if it was closely related to the death of Arya I might change my mind).

More quotes, from AFFC:

"Lord Nestor has a mole," he said, squirming. Robert was afraid of men with moles. (Robert Arryn, 150)

"I am not Cersei. I have a beard, and she has breasts. If you are still confused, nuncle, count our hands. Cersei has two." (Jaime, 227)

"He is dead then? Ser Gregor?" (Ser Harys Swyft)
    "I would think so, my lord," Aurane Waters said dryly. "I am told that removing the head from the body is often mortal." (242)

To Be Continued...