Favorite Non-LOTR sword

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Justice, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Nithrom

Nithrom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nicely said Mububban. We all have a different taste in things and should keep crap too ourselves.

2. Mika Schpiljack

Mika Schpiljack Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, okay, I got it, let's move on. :mad:

The title of this thread is "Favourite Non-LOTR sword", but it's so hard to pick up just one! :( So I hope noone will mind if I create a list of my top 5 swords.

1) Discerner by Albion - I don't have like $2500 right now, otherwise it would already be mine.

2) Brescia Spadona by Albion - it costs xactly thousand bucks less than Discerner, so it's almoust affordable. I've read all the rewievs about it, and I dont have to tell you how awesome this thing is.

3) Regent (yes, again) by Albion - another simple, yet perfect design. Damn interesting "fishtail" pommel. If I haven't set some plans for another xpensive purchase, this one would already be on it's way.

4) Paul Chen "Blue Orchid" Katana by Hanwei - it was Fox who infected me with this sword. I'm also crazy about Kami and Tiger katana, but over the time Blue Orchid haunted me and now I want it the most.

5) Merlin Sword by Noble Collection. [picture attached] Perhaps the greatest design my eyes were ever laid on. It looks incredibly well balanced, and the color is just amazing. The pommel looks menacing too. And yes, it was Fox who presented the pic of this wonderful blade to me. When I buy it, it'll be the centerpiece of my collection.

Attached Files:

3. am.dk

am.dk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Post edited

year,you right fox the discerner is alot more closer to excalbur.and also my favorite sword no 1,
    and stil dreaming of the conan and the father swords.
    i also like the two hands great dane sword from albion.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2006
  4. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    am.dk, did you read this most likely not. ahh well..................

and to what mika posted, i have that letter opener. :D seriously from the noble collection.

5. am.dk

am.dk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    POST DELETED

Let me say this one more time. Do not insult other members' tastes, especially the younger members. Everyone likes different things. Any more posts like this will simply be deleted. Don't waste everyone's time by being negative.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2006
  6. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    come on if your gonna discriminate my opnions at least do it with good grammar. ;)

this one is cool also

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Now that I like. I love wooden handles, one of my main dislikes about the scabbards for asian swords is that their beautiful lacquered finish hides the character of the wood. Personally, I'd much rather have a hilt & scabbard like this one where you can see the grain.

8. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Ah, a Norman sword if I'm not mistaken? Me like. Although personally I prefer the brazil nut pommel to the wheel. I love the blade shape though.

10. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Brazil nut you say?
    [​IMG]
    I like them too .
    :)

The first sword represents a medieval sword of the 13th century so it really can't be considered classicly 'norman'. More detailed furniture, with facets and bevels, such as that sword's guard and pommel, don't seem to have come into use until later than the 'norman' period. However, the blade type is correct for periods from the 10th through the 13th centuries.

Since you mentioned the 'N' word I'll do a bit of self promotion. ;)

Here's a project that I've been working on for the last few months. It's now finished and on-line. You might find it interesting.
    http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/norman.htm

11. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Huma: This is cool! Really cool!

12. am.dk

am.dk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    whot da .... first of all how can i be negative,when huma most likely was jokeing.
    and why is humas negative discrimination of my gramma not deleted.

be fair and lets get back to topic. thanks .

i think the hell bowie john made is cool.

13. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    He's from Denmark guys, don't make fun of his English.

As Mika, I also love the Orchid katana. Heck, all Hanwei's are gorgeous. I'm more of a katana guy for my personal style, though of medieval swords, as I said the sword of Ibelin for one. am.dk will agree with me, the Atlantean and Father's sword from Conan the barbarian are gorgeous, and look so powerful. If I had 3000 bucks, I'd get one. (probably the father's sword. More my style than the atlantean)

I like katanas more just because they let you experiment with individuality of colors more than other swords. On norman swords, you have the grip. brown or black. And a silver blade. Cool, and plain, but japanese swords have more to play around with. Black samê or white, any color scabbard really, bohi or not, infinite shapes of the tsuba, and it's all neatly compacted into one expensive package. :)

However, I sorta think other swords can have a bit more character, as the overall shape of them change more than the katana.

Oh, and I also like the Masamune katana from Highlander. Great looking sword. :cool: :cool:

14. Mika Schpiljack

Mika Schpiljack Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there was any need for something like this, especially after "being negative" remark.

Back to topic.

Highlander Masamune? I don't like it. Looks somehow clumsy to wield because of it's handle, don't you think?

When talking about Highlander, how about Kurgan's Sword? Now that's a big boy blade!

15. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it looks clumsy at all. Looks great for swingin actually. That bone tsuka would be pretty comfortable and provide good grip.

16. Mika Schpiljack

Mika Schpiljack Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps it would (actually I'm sure it would), but that's just the way it looks to me. That handle looks way overweight. Just not my cup of tea.

17. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I've got the Duncan katana replica and the moulded handle is more comfortable than it looks. The detail isn't as feel-able when it's in your hands as the design isn't really raised in any "hot spots" that would make it uncomfortable to wield. It feels fine in the hand.

18. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    told you jason! told you! haha, i told you so!

no really, i have a duncan knockoff and other than the fact the quality sucks, it feels fine. actual bone or ivory would feel sooo nice, :cool:

19. cameleon

cameleon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey ! That's the Big Johnsson, isn't it? I really like Peter Johnsson's work. Especially the sword he made for the expo Masters of Fire in Macau :

Attached Files:

20. Mika Schpiljack

Mika Schpiljack Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ^ WHOA!! :eek: Nice! Any more info about it?

EDIT: Peter Johnsson? He made Brescia Spadona, right?

EDIT2: Just checked. He made Regent too. Genius!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2006