Favorite Moments

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Appaliq, Jul 4, 2006.

1. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's pretty amazing alright. I'd like to add Davos' first chapter in ASOS when he thinks about his dead sons - I reread it yesterday and was surprised by how emotional I found it.

"Why should I live? he thought as tears blurred his vision. Gods be good, why? My sons are dead, Dale and Allard, Maric and Matthos, perhaps Devan as well. How can a father outlive so many strong young sons? How would I go on? I am a hollow shell, the crab's died, there's nothing left inside. Don't they know that? [...] The father protects his children, the septons taught, but Davos had let his boys into the fire. Dale would never give his wife the child they had prayed for, and Allard, with his girl in Oldtown and his girl in King's Landing, and his girl in Braavos, they would all be weeping soon. Matthos would never captain his own ship, as he'd dreamed. Maric would never have his knighthood".

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... Lya, that might also be 'cause you're getting older too, though. As I've grown older, I've found certain scenes to be more and more poignant, and the shades of gray in the characters are becoming more and more indistinguishable. There are days when I even pity Cersei - and before you kill me, I absolutely do NOT like her, nor condone the actions she's committed. But to a certain extent, she, too, is a product of the cruelties of the world around her - just like Sansa, and Arya, and everyone else.

I still hate her, though.

3. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think you're right there. She is definitely a victim of being a woman in that world, not to mention having Tywin Lannister as a father... even though she's despicable, I do think a lot of her motivations are understandable.

4. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Understandable, but definitely not... sympathize-able? I dunno', I don't actually speak English. Same with Catelyn, although I find that I sympathize with her far more than with Cersei.

I remember when I first read the books, though... I hated both Cat and Cersei with all the wayward fervor of a 15-year-old.

5. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I never got the hatred of Cat, but I was the same about Cersei... she was evil and that was that in my little black-and-white world. Now she's still evil, but also her reasons are much more intriguing.

I believe the word you're looking for is 'sympathetic' ;).

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Aha! Lyanna wins once again with her superior knowledge of the English language. :(

But yeah, I like Cat... now. Back then, it was all "How could you be so mean to Jon?!" I do believe that there's a thread in here at some point in which I attempted to defend Cat and people yelled at me for it, though.

7. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Not superior, just less creative ;).

8. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    One of my favorite, slightly pedophiliac moments:

"If you start calling me m'lady, even Hot Pie is going to notice. And you better keep pissing the same way too." [Arya]
    "As m'lady commands." [Gendry *swoon*]
    Arya slammed his chest with both hands. He tripped over a stone and sat down with a thump. "What kind of lord's daughter are you?" he said, laughing.
    "This kind." She kicked him in the side, but it only made him laugh harder.

9. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    A Gendry moment from App? What a surprise :p ... but yeah, that's an awesome scene.

I rather like the scene in AFFC when Jaime has to mediate between the various quarrelling groups besieging Riverrun. There's some classic moments:

Lord Piper: "[Brynden Tully's] not bloody stupid, Norbert. He has eyes ... and too much sense to yield to the such as these". He made a rude gesture in the direction of Edwyn Frey and Walder Rivers.
    Edwyn bristled. "If my lord of Piper means to imply - "
    "I don't imply, Frey. I say what I mean straight out, like and honest man. But what would you know of the ways of honest men? You're a treacherous lying weasel, like all your kin. I'd sooner drink a pint of piss than take the word of any Frey."

... and Jaime giving Edwyn his father's command:

"Edwyn, I am giving you your father's command. Try not to be so stupid as your sire."
    "That ought not pose much difficulty, my lord."

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    LOL.

That last one just made my day. Thank you. :D