Favorite Moments

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Appaliq, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Tyrion left to die at the mercy of the mountain clans, and the way he convinces them to join him. And Brons WTF?!? attitude as he succedes.

Tyrion rides out to meet Oberyn in front of the walls of Kings Landing. The way these two banter. Its brilliant.

Battle of the blackwater. The progress of the battle described from different POV. I often take out the book just to read this part.

Three blows mean others.... and chett pisses his pants

A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forget what dead is. Neds speak to Bran at the beheading of Garen.

Arya and the BwB attacks the bloody mummers at a septry. The way Arya describes the battle is wonderfull.

Sam manipulates Jon into the role of Lord Commander. Go Sam!

Tyrion gives three versions of his proposal to Dorne/Eyrie to Pycelle, Varys and Littlefinger. Didn´t get the details of this ploy on the first read.

Aryas time at Harrenhall. Especially the weasel prisonbreak, and "I hope your princess dies"

Jaime opens the white book and reads Barristan Selmys updated entry.

Egg I dreamed I was old. Almost cried...

vengeance. Justice. fire and blood. Vengeance served cold.

Victarion figthing the shield islanders on the deck of a ship in full plate armour.

The kingsmoot.

For the first time in a thousand year the night were alive with the song of dragons, in wonderfull synergi with "King of the North!" Perfect ending to the first book.

Tyrion arrive to Tywins army with the clansmen. Shagga son of Dolf sit at any war council.
    Tywin: "What brought you down from your Mountains?"
    Shagga: "Horses"
    Timett:"there just old men"

Yoren and his recruits figthing at the holdfast. Hot pies warcry "Hot Pie"
    A truly literal ROFL. Some people looked very strangely at me in the train when I almost fell down from my seat. A very good comedic relief in a very gloomy scene.

Reading the Epilouge of aSoS with Merret getting hanged. Just thinking WTF it can´t end like this. This is a crap ending. Some guy I never heard about getting hanged. Seemed completely removed from the story. I was not realising that there were going to be more books in the series, as they weren´t written at the time. I don´t know why I think fondly back on this. I kind of accepted Neds beheading and the red wedding right away, as necessary parts of the story. But this pissed me of.
    Maybe because I never get angry normally and enjoy a good rage now and then.

2. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Egg I dreamed I was old. Almost cried...

Is this...Sam and Aemon in Oldtown?

3. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't that aboard the ship? During the storm?

I agree with Maester Joergensen that the Blackwater battle is worth rereading.
    The last time I reread it, I played The End of All Things (LotR III Soundtrack) over and over again while reading it. Made it even better!

The Red wedding; when Catelyn puts her hand on (someone)'s arm and feels the chainmail underneath his clothes.

Sam, when Jon says all his family are dead, but Sam knows Bran is still alive, though he cannot tell Jon because he promised Bran.

4. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    When Sam faces his fear and manipulates Denys Mallister and Cotter Pyke into supporting Jon for LC.

5. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I really, really like the scene when Jaime meets his aunt Genna.
    She says, I'm sorry for your loss, and he replies; I have a new hand, made of gold, and Genna replies; Are they going to make a gold father for you as well? :D

6. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    ^ "Men are such thundering great fools. Even the sort that come alone only once in a thousand years" :D.

Quite touching the way she said that every girl needed a big brother though.

7. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I like Genna anyway. She's a strong character, too bad her role isn't larger (yet?).

8. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Well, I guess it's quite possible she'll have a part to play in Jaime's story arc in book #6. They're both still at Riverrun, after all. Daven Lannister was another good character from Jaime's chapters in AFFC - evidently a talent for humour runs in the Lannister family.

Well, except for Cersei and Tywin...

9. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I don't even have to read the scene again. Just mentioning it is enough to get the shivers. Can you imagine being the one to figure out, "Hey - I think we're all going to die"?

10. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    This is such a good thread. Let's keep remembering those moments!

11. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I like these a lot too, but one of my favorites is Petyr's reveal to Sansa about his plans with her and Harry and Heir.

I also like that one line with Doran Martell telling his daughter that he had planned a wedding for her, but "a pot of gold fell on his head" or however it goes. It lets you know that here has been someone scheming all the while that we really didn't know about in the earlier books.

12. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ... also I think the most chilling is when Cersei agrees to let the faith arm itself again... that has danger and foreboding written all over it.

13. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I guess I have so many I have to start at the beggining. My first favorite moment was Jons first chapter in GoT when he was talking to Tyrion-

"Remember this,boy. All dwarfs may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarfs." And with that he turned and sauntered back into the feast, whistling a tune. When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a monent Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.

This conversation had a huge influence on Jon IMO. It was also the first glimpse at Tyrions softer side.

14. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Tyrion really is the only Lannister with a soul. Except maybe Jaime...

15. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Jaime has a soul! He shows that once we get to read his POV (you were waiting for that response, weren't you? ;)).

16. Little_Miss_Metal

Little_Miss_Metal New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Cersei in GoT

"In the game of thrones, you win or you die, there is no middle ground."

It was the first part of that line that drew me to GoT in the bookshop - its printed on the back of that edition.

And I'm still in love with the series now :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    In the prologue to A Storm of Swords, on the Fist of the First Men, when the horn sounds for the third time - signaling Others - and Chett loses control of his bladder.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  18. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I think I have declared my favorite moments a dozen times in this thread.
    But the series is just so great, and full of great moments, that which ones you remember changes all the time, depending on which part you have just reread.

When it comes to revelations about Petyr I like the moment better when Lysa tell how Petyr made her poison Jon Arryn, and then send a letter to cathelyn saying how it was the lannisters who killed Jon Arryn. Such a massive betrayal of her own family, which really shows how great Petyr is at manipulation. And a really great twist, which really turns a lot of things upside down.
    So far the lannisters were the villains and you belived the they killed Jon Arryn. Together with Jaimes POV´s it really start to give you a new view on the lannisters.

19. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I don't think these have been mentioned yet:

Sansa's scene just after Ned's death where she almost pushes Joff off the parapet... we so nearly got rid of him sooner!

Maester Cressen's one and only scene.

I'm rereading at the moment so more will probably be added soon.

20. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Lya, that's the best moment!

"The outer parapet came up to her chin, but along the inner edge of the walk was nothing, nothing but a long plunge to the bailey seventy or eighty feet below. All it would take was a shove, she told herself. He was standing right there, right there, smirking at her with those fat wormlips. You could do it, she told herself. You could. Do it right now. It wouldn't even matter if she went over with him. It wouldn't matter at all."