Fantasy Writers Forum

Discussion in 'General Books' started by JasonLudwig, May 16, 2012.

1. JasonLudwig

JasonLudwig New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greetings to all writers of the fantasy genre!

I want to start a thread where we can all discuss, debate, vent, and review our fantasy genre writing. I am currently trying to get something published and I'm sure I'm not alone in this so lets all support each other and talk about it!

I'll go first- I've been working on my book for a little over two years now and its in its fifth revision. Its a fantasy genre piece taking place in a purely anthropomorphic world. Yes, I said it. They are all animal people. Now laugh if you will, its only natural. I would love to discuss it and accept critisism gracefully.

I look forward to the ensuing chat!

2. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I love the idea of a purely anthropomorphic world! A very unique idea! At least, it's something I've never come across before. It must post some interesting challenges.

I've self-published my first book "Zikhin" - Book One of the Tome Series and am presently working on Book Two and another side project book. My greatest challenge in the Tome Series has been with a charactrer who's a deaf-mute. He's got his very own set of challenges for writing :rolleyes:

3. JasonLudwig

JasonLudwig New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You know it's funny that you mention one of your characters is both deaf and mute. My favorite character in my own piece is also mute. It was really challenging to write him and I asked myself if it was really necessary every day. I'm glad I kept it though.

So you've self published your first book and are working on the second? That's great! What has been your experience with self publishing so far? How goes the second? I know that I can not wait to get back to writing my second book.

4. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Yes, mute characters do present their own challenges - but I, like you, am very glad I kept my character as is. It's part of his uniqueness.

So far, self-publishing is a bit more work - as you have to get your book out there yourself. But I think the little added work is worth the fact that you can write with your own "voice" and not have to worry about making a publishing company happy. As to the second, I'm on page 130. My goal is to have the first draft done by the end of the year. Right now, I can't say if I'll make it or not. But it's still a goal :)

Do you have any other writing projects you're working on? I know I like to keep a few going at once so when I hit a snag on one I can at least work on something else and still be writing. It usually helps me get over writers' block.

5. JasonLudwig

JasonLudwig New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like to focus on one thing so I have been continuously revising my first book. I want to get it out there soon though. I've been working on it for a while and have sent out a round of submissions to agents about 6 months ago. I got a lot of rejections. I understand that its customary for it to be like that at first. Looking at what I sent them, I actually don't blame them for rejecting me, hahaha. What has been your experience with agent submissions?

Why don't you post the synopsis for your first and second book? I'd love to take a look.

6. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I understand what you mean about writing only one project at a time, but unfortunately that's never worked for me. I always have no less than a terrible trio going on at once. Sometimes more.

I had tried submitting a few to agents/publishers and had rejections too but after awhile, it was starting to feel like a clique that I was trying to join. Most of the rejections I'd received weren't all that informative. I remember getting one that rejected me out of hand, simply because I'd never been published before. Good grief! So I figured that the people I really have to please are the readers anyway, not the publishers, and that's why I gave self-publishing a try. Like I said, a little more work but worth it in my opinion.

I'd love to hear your opinion! You can read the synopsis right here on TFF in my blog >> Click Here

And an excerpt >> Click Here

7. JasonLudwig

JasonLudwig New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Black Tattoo, I read both your synopsis and your excerpt. I have always loved painting a really beautiful image of the landscape myself. I would like to give you some constructive critisim, if I may. But I want your permission before I do. I would love some critisism on my own work too. Infact, thats why I am joining these forums as well as trying to connect with the industry and fellow writers. Your call.

8. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Sure, feel free! One should never turn down constructive criticism. You never know when it might be useful :)

Is there anywhere I could read some of your work? Do you have a synop. for it yet?

9. JasonLudwig

JasonLudwig New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love you to ready my synopsis and a page or two! I don't know how you post links so if you seach on facebook in pages for Jason Ludwig: A Viakov's Tale, it'll come right up.

1. Description: Like I said, I love a rich description, especially of nature and settings. That said, there is such a thing as overkill. My work VERY closely resembled what I read in your excerpt. I've been doing a lot of research and also hired an editor to proof read one of my revisions. What she said and what I read time and time again writing workshop forums and such, is that overflowery description of landscape and weather is the mark of an ameature. By the way, I can't spell at all. I wish it were different, but they are right. You can capture a few readers with your beautiful prose but the majority of them will be skimming, trying to get to the meat of your story. You CAN get the same effect by editing it down to one, MAYBE two sentences. By the look of what you have there, I have no doubt that you have the ability to craft a few powerful sentences that can stop the reader in their tracks and force them to appreciate the scene.

2. Sentence Structure: I am a novice at this myself and have a long way to go before I can consider myself a proficient writer. I don't know how long you've been doing this but in my own case, it took an editor to point out the grammatical errors for me to understand it and improve. I would highly recommend Wistar Watts Murray. She is fantastic. She will correct grammatical mistakes, give suggestions without altering your work, is extremely fast working, and she is affordable. She has a website if you're interested. Anyways, I am specifically talking about the number of sentence fragments you have in both your synopsis and your excerpt.

"Wandering a quagmire filled with evil and undead thing."- is not a complete sentence. You are missing the subject. Who or what is... wandering? You need at least a pronoun

"Especially at night. Especially alone."- neither are complete sentences.

I'm not sure how much you care about this kind of stuff so please don't take offense.

10. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Hm, very good points on both counts and no offense taken. Thanks much for taking the time to hammer all this out for me. It will definitely help me with Book Two.

I've checked out "A Viakov's Tale" and I have to say - wow! I love how you used language to give the culture a feel of it's own. I especially enjoyed the most recent excerpt you posted (where Ol'Breka is describing her senses). I've felt like that some days. Needless to say I "Liked" your page and plan on going back often to keep up.

I'm sorry I can't give much helpful criticism - I'm terrible with grammer (as you may have noticed). But I can honestly say I like the tale you've spun thus far.

11. ALB2012

ALB2012 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That is not something I have seen but sounds interesting. New ideas are good:)

12. dwarvenking

dwarvenking New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jason, my name is Kendall Karch, and I too am a fantasy writer. I just finished my first novel, and rather than seek a publisher, I feel that it is possibly better to self publish. You should check my book out and see what you think of the cover and such. I feel it is a professionally done product. I would be happy to tell you how i did it. By the way search, "Kendall Karch A Fool's errand."
    That should get you to my book.

13. MikePierre

MikePierre New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First of all: Thanks, Jason for making this thread available.
    My story is a bit uncanny. I am not a Native English speaker; I live in a place of the world that is considered to be US but at the same time is not. I am some sort of a successful author (in another language) that had this itching of writing a fantasy series and so, I selected a Pen Name and wrote The Winged Blade: Griffin.
    I don’t know if it has been done before, if the concept is dull or boring. However, my take is:
    TWB:G deals with the story of Volt Dragmir. A man who is betrayed and left for dead by a group led by a warlock prince. Nevertheless, he is saved by a Griffin and is fused with it, ending up wielding a sword called “The Griffin”. He swears to avenge himself and starts to hunt down the antagonist.
    Why is the warlock prince the “bad guy”? Well, the story takes place in a continent called Enn-Varhak, there are no elves, dragons, etc. All of the great beasts and creatures died because an event called The Great Ruin. Basically, what happened was that the daughter of an elf king let something foul enter Enn-Varhak, the dark power wiped out everything and the elves managed to lock it away after nearly being driven to extinction. That said, the antagonist seeks to grow in power believing that the elves locked away their “secrets” instead of their doom.
    I am open for comments, criticism and the like. Yet, the book was launched a week ago.
    PS: Do you guys know of any author that has worked with a similar theme?

14. Lauren Auty

Lauren Auty New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been working on a book for a while now and have been battling with publishers and agents as I am sure you all have. One of the best tips I was given was to murky up the writing the heros shouldnt be whiter than white and the villians not blacker than black when characters have a full range of emotions no matter thier race or apperance as characters they instantly become more life like and with aspects like that people can relate to them on a more personal level. Working on this principal my writing has improved vastly and my style has been described as 'dark, gritty and fast paced'
    After countless dissapointments I stumbled across a new aspect amazon has introduced called create space it allows you to put a book onto kindle and also as a print on demand paper back (For free). I did this with my first book Blades of Shadow and with a little bit of leg work and work on social networking it's been picked up by and indie publishing company and they aree currently looking at my work. I guess what I'm trying to say is they're ways and means that dotn cost the earth.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter: @Lauren_Auty or check out my blog laurenautywriter.blogspot.co.uk

Search tags for this page

fantasy writer forum