Fantasy pets?

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Ser Tim the Jailer, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Ser Tim the Jailer

Ser Tim the Jailer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So just curious what kind of weird or unique pets are there in fantasy movies that one could actually buy? Also any fantasy pet costumes out there, I have a cat and found some cat armour for a nice price of $500.

2. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +470 / 3 / -0
    oh wow, as far as costumes it's probably easy enough to make your own, if you're able to sew.
    i think turning a cat into a displacer beast a simple enough matter, you could use a harness designed for small dogs, add wire frame work with the tentacles coming out, then cover the whole thing in black felt
    of course you'd need a black cat.

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Someone posted some very neat (and expensive) cat armour a while back (I think it might be down in the armoury section of the site). Needless to say some of it is likely more visual stand design than suitable for a feline to actually wear.

Decorative pet attire and be a lot of fun, just be sure to make sure that whatever you dress your pet up in doesn't cause them distress as you do it and isn't going to hurt them whilst they wear it. I'd also say its the kind of thing you only want to do whilst they are within reach/under your control and observation. Pets can do all sorts of crazy things so don't encourage them to do crazy dangerous ones ;)

As for cool pets to keep I'd always say that no matter what the reason nor the animal before you aim to own any do some serious research. Heck with the internet, libraries, vets etc... that is easy! Before you aim to own a pet you want to know all there is about keeping them that you can find out.

This is important, esp if a film inspires you to own a pet as they can be VERY different to how they are in films. Many might also require special licences to own in your country or might be very rare to own. Many wild/non-domesticated animals can also be very demanding in different ways to your average domestic pet.

There can also be illnesses both in short and long term to be aware of as well as common ailments. Some also can have health quirks (eg many snub-nosed animals can have some breathing troubles at times - easy to fix/help with but best be aware of it).

Sure no book will give you the full picture, but read enough sources and get enough info and you can make the right choice. And sometimes you've got be realistic that the right choice is not to get the pet; that your lifestyle isn't suited to keeping one or that you've not the space - time -money etc...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +318 / 4 / -0
    I'm sure my ex GF succubus would be available for right price.. BAM. yeah bad joke.

fantasy pets.. hmm.. well considering fantasy isn't real, then none. Unless you count buying a fresh water crocodile from australia for $500 as a water dragon?
    Yes you can buy them for that price here. There is a pet shop about 10 minutes from where I live that sell them :p
    http://www.reptilecity.com.au/apps/webstore/search?utf8=✓&sort=&query=crocodile

5. Ser Tim the Jailer

Ser Tim the Jailer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You should of not shown me that lol I'm half tempted to get a crocodile now lol especially because its only $500, it might be well worth it. Maybe I'll build a moat and put him in there when he gets bigger lol

6. AlphaAlex

Ratings:
    +318 / 4 / -0
    I know I want one as well, but once they reach a certain size you need a license to keep it (here at least).

would be awesome if they stayed small-ish.

I got my two tarantuals and my scorpions from that place :D

7. Overread

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    AA I'm surprised the licence enables after a certain size, one would think that it should exist at a species level so that if you want one, any age or size, you need the licence (otherwise it just leaves a loophole where people legally get them young and then "forget" to fill in the paperwork as they get older).

Far as I know in the UK if you want something exotic that's on the licence list you need that licence before you can even buy one (and most respectable breeders wouldn't sell to someone who can't prove they've got a licence either).

8. AlphaAlex

Ratings:
    +318 / 4 / -0
    you need a permit to buy a hatchling, but the pet shop owners sell you the enclosure/aquarium for it and can easily get you one. Once it reaches a certain size, it needs a double fenced off enclosure outside with obviously a large water area. This is when you need a license to keep it and someone has to come and inspect everything. I asked the two owners at the store all about it. So they are allowed to sell hatchlings but after a certain size say you fail your bid to keep the animal, it gets taken to a zoo or certain captivity enclosure.

9. MattII

MattII Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Do Greebo and Legba from Discworld count? Both are real creatures, but with a hint of magic to them. What about Batman, because Harley Quinn's hyenas, while real animals, are fairly unusual.

10. K.S. Crooks

K.S. Crooks New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My favourite fantasy pets that are real are wolves. Animals that live in groups and follow the alphas. Favourite imaginary ones are dragons. Can't beat flight and breathing fire. Pet hawks are pretty cool too. I might have put having "aliens" as pets but that never works out well.

11. Overread

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Interesting fact - the concept of alpha male and female in wolf packs was based upon studies of captive wolves. Further study of wild wolf packs suggests that whilst there does tend to be dominant members of the pack; that packs themselves run more as a family unit and thus don't have a singular "pack leader" approach to things.

The captive studies are now being classed as a social response to captivity and the additional stresses that that results upon wolf-packs. In effect the alpha male/female is more a bully element where the wolves bully the others into submission in a manner that doesn't happen in observed wild packs.

12. MattII

MattII Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Latest reports suggest that the pack is a family unit, the alphas are mummy and daddy, and the other members are their children of the last few years.

13. Overread

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Aye but the alpha male/female approach isn't perfect - ergo they make more family choices than they do simply follow the lead two wolves.