Fantasy newb looking for reccomendation...

Discussion in 'General Books' started by AliasNeo07, Nov 20, 2010.

1. AliasNeo07

AliasNeo07 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. Usually I either read non-fiction or science fiction (huge star wars nerd.) But my favorite series of all time is A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't know whether this is classified as low fantasy or high fantasy, but my guess would be low.

So, while I wait for A Dance with Dragons (which is going to be a long wait it seems) I'm looking to read some similar type books.

So, if someone says "I love everything about A Song of Ice and Fire and it is my favorite series of all time," what books/series/authors would you recommend to them?

Thanks a lot!

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Erikson: The Malazan Books of the Fallen.
    Williams: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.
    Kay: Try Tigana, and if you like that, try any of his later books. There's very little magic, but the characterizations are phenominal, and his presentation of the medieval world is better than Martin's because he also brings period art, music, poetry and science into it.
    Jordan: The Wheel of Time. Doesn't have the moral ambiguity of ASOIAF, but it's worldbuilding at its best. Warning: long series. The fourteenth and final book is due out in a year.

Mind you, Williams, Kay and Jordan are three of my stock recommendations: I think everyone with any interest in imaginative fiction should read them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. Western Paladin

Western Paladin Lawful Awesome Overgod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely agree with Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Easy to read, awesome fantasy! And after that you can take something big - like Malazan, Wheel of Time or Tolkien's books.